Are we tough enough? [moved posts]

Remove this Banner Ad

You are on an AFL list, you are good enough. Don't feel it is that at all.

Actually agree with Lloyd that it is all between the ears. We needed leaders the past two weeks. Guys to show the rest of the team what the situation requires. Goddard from the kick in was poor leadership for example (one of a million scenarios but still, can't blame him for giving up a 19 point lead slip), Joe Daniher v Sydney in the dying stages of that game, took a screamer then sat it on one of our shortest blokes heads for the ball to be cannoned back in at us.

On the weekend, we needed someone to put there hand up and slow the tempo of the game up when they'd kicked 2 - 3 goals in that frenetic last quarter. A Heppell, Goddard, Watson, to just show a steady, mature hand.

What I have noticed is the lack of a plan B. We continually play our way or the highway. Woosha said post match versus Brisbane (last time) when they were coming that we just had to stick phat with our structures and believe in our own game plan. Sometimes you have got to suck up your pride and just go, nuh, Heppell needs to go behind the ball, Joey is needed at CHB for 5mins etc.

As has been discussed by others much more intelligent than I, we have a lot of guys willing to run forward of the ball. Looks great when we have the ball, that last quarter was a blood bath with our defenders torched 2:1 on a number of occasions.

I would love for Woosha to make a stand, take charge and drop a guy like Fantasia. (not him specifically but someone who isn;'t performing there role) someone who the team thinks is untouchable to make a stand, to put all the players on notice. As fans we don't deserve the crap that was dished up on the weekend and if this club was serious about moving forward then Woosha needs to back up Xavier Campbell's tweet and deliver us fans a deserved response at the selection table.

We're no where near tough enough.
This was hilighted for me last fri against Sydney. Can't remember what the incedant was right now, think it's was buddy who got someone late or something and the first and only one in to remonstrate and show some heart was McGrath.
I was pleasantly surprised.
None of the older guys done anything.
The kids tough, we have a couple. But we need more. As others have said great sides have been know for their hardness. And that Mongrel. Woosha's playing style doesn't fit with his coaching.
Tbell is hit and miss, he can do it. But his lazy.
Would love it if we had brayden preuss

I'll probably get crucified for this, but I reckon we're a better team with Howlett in the side setting the tone around the contest - our record when he is in probably reflects this.

Agree with this although Howlett's inability to have consistent impact hurts him.

On a similar note when Tippa has an impact in the midfield and lays a few big tackles/bumps I think we lift as a side. Parish is one who I think can become Rory Sloane like for us.

Of course we're not tough enough. Too many 'soft' types on our list. Don't like using that word but I think it is warranted at the moment.

We hate losing players to suspension... but our MRP/Tribunal record this year (or lack of one) speaks volumes.
NEED TO BELT MORE ****S

Last edited by a moderator:
I disagree with the wording tbh. 100% we are tough enough. But are we aggressive enough? Not even close.

I'm not saying we need to wack blokes, but there needs to be more aggression and bad intent. You see other teams applying hard tags and knocking into key players, giving face massages after tackles. Getting in the other teams' face after goals.

I think we come off as just being a bit too nice (onfield) and it doesnt sit well with me.

We should look at picking up Ali Fahour in some sort of mentoring capacity.

The loss to sydney wasnt toughness it was poor decision making and structures in the dying minutes, showed great resilience in that match to win back momentum.

Brisbane was a different story

You just need the one player who would do anything to win the ball and has the capability to do so ie Selwood, JPK, Danger.

We just dont have any midfielders with that ability at the moment.

Consistency of pressure, hardness, intent or whatever you want to call it, is what every team is after. When we bring that to our game, there is not many better teams than us. The good teams produce that effort more often than not, we still haven't been able to do it. I don't think we are too weak at the contest, we are just not able to produce a consistent effort every week although in the last 7 weeks we have beaten good teams Geelong, PA, WCE & narrow losses to GWS,Rich, Sydney, (all pretty good teams) and sadly Bris loss.. Fitness is always an issue that impacts consistency, but Essendon truly think they'll get better as the year goes on and they might know because of how they had to manage other fitness issues with the team last year.

I think others, such as Heppell or Jobe, intimidate with their finesse (or perceived finesse) with the ball.

Yeah, nah. I'd rather face both of those than a Mumford type.
We could do worse than having someone as crazy as Mitch Robinson in our side.

I disagree with the wording tbh. 100% we are tough enough. But are we aggressive enough? Not even close.

I'm not saying we need to wack blokes, but there needs to be more aggression and bad intent. You see other teams applying hard tags and knocking into key players, giving face massages after tackles. Getting in the other teams' face after goals.

I think we come off as just being a bit too nice (onfield) and it doesnt sit well with me.

We should look at picking up Ali Fahour in some sort of mentoring capacity.
yep.
I don't mind balancing that with a hard edge (i.e. Tippa on Whitfield last year).
But we get bullied around the stoppages far too easily.
What i'd love to see is the team hitting the front the way we have, then see our tackle numbers explode as we lock down and smother the opposition.
Just to make them think there is no easy way to come back against us.

But we don't, and there is, so that's what it is.

Good list, wrong mentality at the moment.

We have tough players, Hocking, Howlett, Bird, Ambrose, Francis, Laverde, we let Hibberd go so that leaves Hurley and Bags at AFL level.
The team is weak as piss.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back