Opinion Are you for or against the club playing in LA?

For or against the club playing in LA?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I voted against. It would be a big disruption to the early season. Would it really bring in more fans or members?

Probably lose some on the edge or thinking about it. Why join a club supposedly cutting back on their commitment to the region.

7 games for a region they think is their number 1 priority according to Matthews on the BIg Breakfast.

Sorry I will never ditch my club but when stupid s**t like this is a possibility it frustrates me and makes me wonder about what exactly their plans are for the future.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Probably lose some on the edge or thinking about it. Why join a club supposedly cutting back on their commitment to the region.
I doubt it'd shift the needle either way amongst casual fans/potential members.

Most of those about to sign up will start as three game members, so this wouldn't really affect them.

Some might think it's cool. Some might think "ugh". I suspect both numbers will be low and largely cancel themselves out.

It's more likely to affect those of us that are more hardcore, i.e. people commenting on an online forum dedicated to AFL.

I doubt it'd shift the needle either way amongst casual fans/potential members.

Most of those about to sign up will start as three game members, so this wouldn't really affect them.

Some might think it's cool. Some might think "ugh". I suspect both numbers will be low and largely cancel themselves out.

It's more likely to affect those of us that are more hardcore, i.e. people commenting on an online forum dedicated to AFL.

Stop bringing commonsense to my outrage damn it.

O/S games have been tried and tried and tried and largely the continuing traction has been zero.

Leave it to a Melbourne club like St Kilda or North or the Bulldogs who are always looking to make a quid and get more exposure, GWS should expend all its energy on the local market.

The only way I would be happy is if Freo played and won it to gain something. If not :thumbsdown:

I am against for the time being.
I don't think it could be as bad as the China game, but the timing feels premature.

Revisit this idea in another 5-10 years and I'll reassess with an open mind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm 100% for.Surprised and to be honest disappointed that a lot of people here can't see the big picture.Have to think outside the square if u want 'to be a club like no other'.

I'm 100% for.Surprised and to be honest disappointed that a lot of people here can't see the big picture.Have to think outside the square if u want 'to be a club like no other'.

If it was a Melbourne club battling away in a tight market i would agree, its not, its entire existence was built on the premise to have a second Sydney (Canberra) game so an AFL game was on every week and build the game in NSW.

It has much more potential in Sydney than in LA or wherever.

Point me to another game played O/S that has built that particular club to being bigger and better.

Its crazy.

The big picture is we will be losing, another, Western Sydney game.
We are growing the game in NSW and we are supposed to do that with minimal games?

If we played a full deck of home games in Western Sydney I would say sign me up to 1 game in LA or elsewhere.
But we don’t, we get 8. Soon to be 7 if this goes through.

This is a short term payoff thing not a long term gain.

If it was a Melbourne club battling away in a tight market i would agree, its not, its entire existence was built on the premise to have a second Sydney (Canberra) game so an AFL game was on every week and build the game in NSW.

It has much more potential in Sydney than in LA or wherever.

Point me to another game played O/S that has built that particular club to being bigger and better.

Its crazy.
You have the Statue on Parry street as your Icon but you don't support us?:'(
I'm for the game.
:gws: v :freo:

Essendon are keen to play a groundbreaking game in California against the Greater Western Sydney Giants for premiership points within the next two years.

The Bombers revealed on Wednesday that they had been in discussions with GWS about playing a game in either Los Angeles or the San Francisco area, with the intention of makng (sic) this an annual game.

While Essendon stressed that the US game was merely in its infancy, the Bombers and Giants were in the process of finalising a deal. The most likely scenario would see the game be played before round one, as a standalone fixture, but it is also possible that the game could be played during the bye round, mid-season.

Essendon said the game would be a GWS home game, the Giants having revealed their plans – backed by the AFL – to a host a game on the west coast of the United States last year.

Essendon said the game would be a GWS home game, the Giants having revealed their plans – backed by the AFL – to a host a game on the west coast of the United States last year.

Personally i reckon its a AFL plan -- 'backed' by the Giants.

Maybe the AFL just see it as a chance to get some money back on their outlay and the Giants 'go along'.

I think the Giants focus and i have said it 3 times in this thread -- should be wholly and solely NSW and ACT, but i don't control the purse strings nor do i have a inside view of the finances or thought processes, but why would a club that has millions of potential fans and sponsorship in WS and other areas of NSW seek to play this game ???, i could understand it if they needed new pastures for membership, sponsorship etc.

SEN Melb. Radio D. Russel program 4.3

X. Campbell, EFC CEO, said EFC intend to play GWS in LA or San Francisco, starting in 2021 or 2022. It would be played every year, & be a GWS home game.

The game would be played a week before Round 1, or in a bye week- to ensure teams had a 14 day break.

Campbell said the game is expected, primarily, to generate strong sponsorship, & other commercial returns, for both clubs. Promoting AF generally in the US is regarded as a secondary consideration for the game's rationale.

Last edited:
every year a home game?
F##k right off - and when you've finished f##king off you can walk just over there and F##K RIGHT OFF AGAIN!

Essendon fans get to see their club play in their home town 16 times this year.

we get - at most - 9 (and the 9th one is difficult for some of us to get to)

I understand the need for Canberra and while I don't particularly like losing 3 games to them, I get it and can live with it.

While I don't enjoy losing 5/6 weeks to the Easter Show I understand that too.

but an annual game OS (anywhere OS)?
NOPE, NOPE, F##K OFF.

every year a home game?
F##k right off - and when you've finished f##king off you can walk just over there and F##K RIGHT OFF AGAIN!

I understand the need for Canberra and while I don't particularly like losing 3 games to them, I get it and can live with it.

NOPE, NOPE, F##K OFF.
Haha spat my wine out

Love it

On SM-G977B using BigFooty.com mobile app

every year a home game?

NOPE, NOPE, F##K OFF.

100% this

Back