FTA-TV Arrested Development - Season Four

Remove this Banner Ad

S4 worth it just for the sound of silence gag

One other thing...

rebel-scottish-outfit-e4.jpg

The main problem with season 4 for me was that I found certain episodes (Lindsay in particular) just not that entertaining. When good ones like GOB's were on it was great. The single character episodes just magnified the lesser parts and characters of the show that have probably been there from day one, but were nestled between the brilliance of the other 90% of the show.

But yeah, I'm talking about one season being slightly less enjoyable than others in a show that is head and shoulders above almost any other comedy on tv.

I think we've gone over all the deficiencies of the last season in minute detail, but I've realised that the biggest difference is that there was nothing particularly quotable from the last season ... or at least not amongst my circle of friends. The first 3 seasons provided so many quotes that we use both in and out of context that makes us all laugh constantly.

The question is, can they recapture the lightning?

I think we've gone over all the deficiencies of the last season in minute detail, but I've realised that the biggest difference is that there was nothing particularly quotable from the last season ... or at least not amongst my circle of friends. The first 3 seasons provided so many quotes that we use both in and out of context that makes us all laugh constantly.

The question is, can they recapture the lightning?

How many times have you watched S4 compared to S1-3 out of curiosity?

I've found S4 gets better with each view, much like the earlier seasons but I find that most are forgetting how good AD was on replay three but not giving S4 the chance.

I'd also say:

giphy.gif

tumblr_mnisx8ptoN1qmo7e4o2_500.gif

tenor.gif

tenor.gif

7ekd1r9.png

That's just off the top of my head. However it is worrying that the majority of memorable lines from S4 were Tobias and Gob dominated. Getting the cast together in one room is paramount in S5.

How many times have you watched S4 compared to S1-3 out of curiosity?

I've found S4 gets better with each view, much like the earlier seasons but I find that most are forgetting how good AD was on replay three but not giving S4 the chance.

I'd also say:

giphy.gif

tumblr_mnisx8ptoN1qmo7e4o2_500.gif

tenor.gif

tenor.gif

7ekd1r9.png

That's just off the top of my head. However it is worrying that the majority of memorable lines from S4 were Tobias and Gob dominated. Getting the cast together in one room is paramount in S5.

Probably seen season 4 twice with a couple of the episodes a third time. The earlier seasons I've probably seen each episode a minimum of 5 times.

But I think the rewatchability of Seasons 1-3 was because they were brilliant the first time around. Sure, you got more out of it on rewatch, but they were ridiculously funny without context. I think that gets lost when people talk about how clever and interconnected the show was ... the main thing was that it was fantastically hilarious!!!

Season 4 on the other hand wasn't nearly as rewarding the first time. And a chore to go back to for a second crack.

Reading through this thread just makes me realise how awfully long they've been promising Season 5. It'll be at least 5 years between seasons, that just seems insame to me. I thought the movie would be out by now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably seen season 4 twice with a couple of the episodes a third time. The earlier seasons I've probably seen each episode a minimum of 5 times.

But I think the rewatchability of Seasons 1-3 was because they were brilliant the first time around. Sure, you got more out of it on rewatch, but they were ridiculously funny without context. I think that gets lost when people talk about how clever and interconnected the show was ... the main thing was that it was fantastically hilarious!!!

Season 4 on the other hand wasn't nearly as rewarding the first time. And a chore to go back to for a second crack.
sharply edited twenty minute eps versus dragging 30-35 minute eps a big factor here I reckon

Just rewatched all the seasons, but I'll critique Season 4.

• Characters with repetitive gimmicks, such as Buster and Lindsey made for really difficult episodes to watch.
  • The season starts off pretty well, but the strength really comes in the mid-latish episodes when we really start piecing together the elements of the story.
  • However, after the George-Michael/Rebel reveal, the season really peters out. You know that Lucille Austero fell down some stairs already, you know GOB is with Tony Wonder, you know that Rebel is with Michael and George-Michael. After this you get a few cool "Oh, so that's where that fits in, ha" type moments, but not enough to justify half an hour. When you've fit together the pieces of the narrative, it just becomes a really slow old AD.
  • Some of the drawn out jokes that are prevelant in a looser show structure are just painful. The Michael/George-Michael "stuck in traffic we can't meet up" gag is a prime example, I swear it goes for like 4 minutes when the joke could have been done in 15 seconds.
I don't know where the mystical 'season 5' goes from here. Was Season's 4 interwoven storyline a product of artistic vision or casting restraints? Can a decade older AD cast pull off the season 1-3 style without disgracing the memories? I'm a season 5 skeptic.

Was Season's 4 interwoven storyline a product of artistic vision or casting restraints?
I seem to recall reading around the time s4 came out that they said the focus on one person per episode was due to the cast being so busy with other stuff it was the only way to do it.

I view s4+ as a spinoff, rather than a straight continuation (even though it is). Only Lucille, Gob and Tobias felt like the same characters to me. Everyone else had changed to a degree.

Imo nothing they do can tarnish s1-3.

Highlight of s4 for me:

I seem to recall reading around the time s4 came out that they said the focus on one person per episode was due to the cast being so busy with other stuff it was the only way to do it.

I view s4+ as a spinoff, rather than a straight continuation (even though it is). Only Lucille, Gob and Tobias felt like the same characters to me. Everyone else had changed to a degree.

Imo nothing they do can tarnish s1-3.

Highlight of s4 for me:

Yeah I really think of them as separate entities. If I pretend Season 4 never happened, I can still rank it as my favourite comedy of all time!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back