Win Prizes Ask an Atheist II

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome to the Ask an Atheist thread II.

Previous part:

Standard board rules apply.

some people have a longterm need to post in this thread, whatever its name, for their mental health.... it serves a purpose...much like organised religion.

i rediscovered my religion on 30th Sept last year. The sky opened up and I was bathed in a stream of light. The secrets of happiness were revealed to me and I was filled with a warm glow. I now know what st. paul was talking about. I have been posting everyone who I know about the good news, and have been encouraging them to buy memberships.
Were you born after 2010?

This thread popped up this morning. It brought back fond memories of people endlessly posting words. I hope everyone is living a good life and not bombing anyone....
Agreed. Weird. Just popped up on my radar too. A very twisted thread that was born out of "Ask A Christian". Clearly meant to be a very short-lived thread, as who is going to ask an atheist anything outside of footy. Anyway, that'll do for 2024.
Thread was rolled over today. You might be watching it without knowing, or you might've received a tag as some of your posts got moved.

Were you born after 2010?

no, no vdubs. 2010 was very much a worldly experience. Last year was quite different. Out of this world. Something that shatters the normalcy of life. It has changed the way in which I live. It has brought an inner peace. Turn your heart to the Pies and you will find salvation...I will pray for you

Thread was rolled over today. You might be watching it without knowing, or you might've received a tag as some of your posts got moved.

It was a sign that I should bring the word of the magpies to the broader world....to share the good news. Buy the membership and change your life.

Agreed. Weird. Just popped up on my radar too. A very twisted thread that was born out of "Ask A Christian". Clearly meant to be a very short-lived thread, as who is going to ask an atheist anything outside of footy. Anyway, that'll do for 2024.
Why? atheism is simply the lack of belief in deities. Pantheism is kinda atheistic too. Plenty of major religion(s) are atheistic. Your lack of knowledge in anything outside Christianity (and even about Christianity outside of what you are told) is concerning. You can be spiritual and an atheist too. According to you atheists are only Dawkins and Hitchens. That's just wrong. Plenty to learn there, not that you are interested outside your own echo chambers.

Last edited:
Why? atheism is simply the lack of belief in deities. Pantheism is kinda atheistic too. Plenty of major religion(s) are atheistic. Your lack of knowledge in anything outside Christianity (and even about Christianity outside of what you are told) is concerning. You can be spiritual and an atheist too. According to you atheists are only Dawkins and Hitchens. That's just wrong. Plenty to learn there, not that you are interested outside your own echo chambers.
That's it, summed it up in a nutshell, end of story.

You are not interested in anything outside of your own echo chambers? umm ok...what a worldview to have
As if you would have the slightest notion of anything I have an interest in, but go ahead, guess and pontificate all, you like

I can tell, judging by your long copy pasted rant about Quran, your knowledge on science and evolution and other religions.

Ignorance is indeed a bliss.
If I had to judge you by your rants, you come across as a lunatic with anger management issues, but I'm sure that's not really all there is to you?"

If I had to judge you by your rants, you come across as a lunatic with anger management issues, but I'm sure that's not really all there is to you?"
Rants lol...truth! you and your mates are predictable, i just caught Rossy arguing against evolution and he ended up arguing for it.

haha as i said ignorance is a bliss.

Rants lol...truth! you and your mates are predictable, i just caught Rossy arguing against evolution and he ended up arguing for it.

haha as i said ignorance is a bliss.
With all your "education" in this cesspool, how could we be ignorant?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was a sign that I should bring the word of the magpies to the broader world....to share the good news. Buy the membership and change your life.

No Way Beer GIF by Busch

Facts! if you want to talk about something you need to know what it is first.

You argued against Quran without even reading a page of it.

Again, ignorance is a bliss.
TP, if Vdubs asks you to leave him be from here - seeing as he never wanted back into this series of circular arguments - please cease tagging him.

while i'm in the neighbourhood, let me point your attention to the left where a young muslim girl in the photo was callously murdered by a pack of adherents to the judaism who think they are on their way to the promised land. Just another example where religion is shown to be a framework for primative barbarism planted firmly in the dim distant past.

I personally believe the Abrahamic religions are spiritual coca cola, and that atheists in general have a far greater capacity for spiritual development than Christians. I view spiritualism as being naturalistic in origin without the magic of sky pixies and similar nonsense. Things like meditation, yoga, walking among nature, etc are all spiritual activities afaic.

What do the atheists, agnostics and other non-theists that post here enjoy working on or doing as part of their spiritual upkeep or development?

I personally believe the Abrahamic religions are spiritual coca cola, and that atheists in general have a far greater capacity for spiritual development than Christians. I view spiritualism as being naturalistic in origin without the magic of sky pixies and similar nonsense. Things like meditation, yoga, walking among nature, etc are all spiritual activities afaic.

What do the atheists, agnostics and other non-theists that post here enjoy working on or doing as part of their spiritual upkeep or development?
Meditation has literally saved my life, from depression, anxiety and panic attacks when i had a crisis in my life. I meditate regularly and it just helps me manage things well. I no longer deal with stress of managing a fairly large sized business and the anxiety of the unknown, even during tough covid times when my business suffered a substantial loss. Living in now is what i learnt after reading and listening to Eckhart Tolle. It opened my mind to so many things and possibilities. Meditation isn't easy but if you are interesting in try the meditation, consciousness, and the Waking Up app by Sam Harris. It helped many many people that are dealing with "life". No feel good deities, prayers etc needed. You are in control of your own self.

The app is an amazing mix of guided meditations, essays, discussions, poetry, and other such content centered all around exploring your consciousness and the nature of mind.

To me this is what agnostic “spirituality” ultimately looks like because of the innate mystery surrounding the mind and what it is to exist

When I jokingly referred to COKE, it was THE REAL THING slogan . As if you guys don't get that.
Anyway...
Why on earth do you suppose that Christians can't and don't meditate (on the Bible), walk among nature, do yoga, spend time in solitude... we can and do all those activities as Christians. You guys do not have exclusivity to such activities.

Meditation has literally saved my life, from depression, anxiety and panic attacks when i had a crisis in my life. I meditate regularly and it just helps me manage things well. I no longer deal with stress of managing a fairly large sized business and the anxiety of the unknown, even during tough covid times when my business suffered a substantial loss. Living in now is what i learnt after reading and listening to Eckhart Tolle. It opened my mind to so many things and possibilities. Meditation isn't easy but if you are interesting in try the meditation, consciousness, and the Waking Up app by Sam Harris. It helped many many people that are dealing with "life". No feel good deities, prayers etc needed. You are in control of your own self.

The app is an amazing mix of guided meditations, essays, discussions, poetry, and other such content centered all around exploring your consciousness and the nature of mind.

To me this is what agnostic “spirituality” ultimately looks like because of the innate mystery surrounding the mind and what it is to exist
Meditation is a major part of the Christian experience too.
There are millions of testimonies of people being saved from depression, anxiety, PTSD, etc etc.
You discovered a man-made app for meditation. Great for you. Glad to hear you have been able to manage those issues by doing so.

When I jokingly referred to COKE, it was THE REAL THING slogan . As if you guys don't get that.
Anyway...
Why on earth do you suppose that Christians can't and don't meditate (on the Bible), walk among nature, do yoga, spend time in solitude... we can and do all those activities as Christians. You guys do not have exclusivity to such activities.
Your spiritual activities are tied to a very limited religion that imposes unnecessary boundaries and rules I wouldn't choose to subject myself to.

Your religion may provide an anchor to your life but it's built on fear rather than love and truth. Those who leave organised religion recognise that. You think you have truth, spirituality, the real coke, but you don't. Maybe one day you'll see the light like I have.

You come across as a used car salesperson here, albeit a nice one.

Many of us unbelievers previously brought and drove the same rusty old car you're trying to sell us once again after we've already traded it in for something newer and better. It's going to be a hard slog for you in this thread trying to resell that rusty car.

Your spiritual activities are tied to a very limited religion that imposes unnecessary boundaries and rules I wouldn't choose to subject myself to.

Your religion may provide an anchor to your life but it's built on fear rather than love and truth. Those who leave organised religion recognise that. You think you have truth, spirituality, the real coke, but you don't. Maybe one day you'll see the light like I have.

You come across as a used car salesperson here, albeit a nice one.

Many of us unbelievers previously brought and drove the same rusty old car you're trying to sell us once again after we've already traded it in for something newer and better. It's going to be a hard slog for you in this thread trying to resell that rusty car.
Not trying to sell you anything.
Just explanations.
The reasons you left "organised religions" sadly have left you bitter about God.
It is far easier to leave Christianity than to adhere to it, we get that.
We lose nothing by maintaining our faith, you possibly lose everything. You may not, but you just don't know.
Had we not had personal conversion experiences, we may all be atheists- how depressing would that be.

Meditation is a major part of the Christian experience too.
There are millions of testimonies of people being saved from depression, anxiety, PTSD, etc etc.
You discovered a man-made app for meditation. Great for you. Glad to hear you have been able to manage those issues by doing so.
Yeah you would know about meditation out of all people! Says the guy who believe in mythology and fairy tales, sure. Do you have any idea about Buddhism? the whole religion is meditation centric. Please stop being ignorant. If a belief in fairy tale makes you feel better all the power to you, however it is not needed all the all the tools you have in you only.

Yeah you would know about meditation out of all people! Says the guy who believe in mythology and fairy tales, sure. Do you have any idea about Buddhism? the whole religion is meditation centric. Please stop being ignorant. If a belief in fairy tale makes you feel better all the power to you, however it is not needed all the all the tools you have in you only.
You continue to be utterly disrespectful and assume you know anything about us posters. You are not the only nong who can meditate. Christians can and do meditate.
Besides, running, swimming, cycling, rowing etc. can all lead to states of meditation.
Buddhism may be meditation based, but as if you don't know this, maybe you don't, one DOES NOT NEED TO BE A BUDDHIST TO MEDITATE.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back