Official Club Stuff Ask Lions_Insider!

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi,

Studying and going well last I heard. Could be a good idea for a follow up story soon (if he is interested). Will see how we go.
Going on from that thought, what do we do out of interest with ex-players in terms of support for example?

I have no doubt the AFLPA would play a significant role but do we do much in that space?

Hi Lions insider. I’ve been working on an idea to help reconnect with the Fitzroy fans in Melbourne. I also have no connection to Fitzroy, I followed the bears prior to the alignment. I just have an interest in getting the clubs membership numbers back up. Now the idea is simple really, start using Fitzroy when you travel to Melbourne. Stay in a hotel in Fitzroy, eat in Fitzroy, go and watch the club play in the amateur league on a home game if you can, sign autographs and cheer them on. Give out a best player award and invite a good player to train for a week during preseason. Maybe ask the club if the captains run/sessions can be held at the oval sometimes. Players could sing the Fitzroy song after a Melbourne win after the lions song.

All are just a few ideas to bring the clubs together, bridge the pain and hopefully get them back through the turnstiles cheering us on. The lions have staff members in Melbourne who could start meeting with businesses in Fitzroy and the FFC just for a start. Rebuild the roots for the future.

Hi Hornet,

All great ideas. Some of your suggestions do you have limitations. E.g. we have to stay in a AFL partner hotel when in Melbourne for games.

It is up to the footy department for most of these ideas. I will pass along them all but I can't guarantee they will all happen. I can assure that the whole Club is committed to our Fitzroy fanbase and maintaining the proud history of our Club. The membership department in particular have a huge focus on our Melbourne members.

Sam in our Melbourne office does a great job at staying connected with Fitzroy fans and promoting the history of our Club. Our Melbourne supporters base this year is in Fitzroy: http://www.lions.com.au/club/events/victorian-events/vic-social-venues.

It is sometimes easy to forget how many Fitzroy fans we have. When we posted up the history of Fitzroy video on social media a week or so ago we were blown away by the reaction to it.

Thanks again for all your suggestions!

Going on from that thought, what do we do out of interest with ex-players in terms of support for example?

I have no doubt the AFLPA would play a significant role but do we do much in that space?

To quote our Head of Welfare and Wellbeing: "Once you play for the Brisbane Lions, you are a Lion for life."

The Lions typically support players for two-three months after retirement/delisting before handing them over to a regional manager from AFLPA.

Some players naturally don't need any support from Day 1 post-footy, while others might struggle for years. The Lions will always be there to support any past players.

Andrew Crowell (our Head of Welfare and Wellbeing) is currently helping out the recently delisted guys with resumes, contacts in Melbourne etc. He also mentioned a player from 30 years ago who the Club is offering assistance to currently.

An in-depth feature with Crowell has been on the to-do list for a while. Will try and get it out soon as I think you guys would find it really interesting.

Hi Hornet,

All great ideas. Some of your suggestions do you have limitations. E.g. we have to stay in a AFL partner hotel when in Melbourne for games.

It is up to the footy department for most of these ideas. I will pass along them all but I can't guarantee they will all happen. I can assure that the whole Club is committed to our Fitzroy fanbase and maintaining the proud history of our Club. The membership department in particular have a huge focus on our Melbourne members.

Sam in our Melbourne office does a great job at staying connected with Fitzroy fans and promoting the history of our Club. Our Melbourne supporters base this year is in Fitzroy: http://www.lions.com.au/club/events/victorian-events/vic-social-venues.

It is sometimes easy to forget how many Fitzroy fans we have. When we posted up the history of Fitzroy video on social media a week or so ago we were blown away by the reaction to it.

Thanks again for all your suggestions!

Thanks for the response. I did just do 2 mins of googling and if the team does stay with an AFL partnered hotel which may happen to overlook the Fitzroy gardens; they are probably already meeting that suggestion....

As for the team going to watch a FFC game, it may only be able to happen once or twice a year with the way the draw works. Fly in sat morning for a Sunday game and Fitzroy happen to have a home game on, head up and watch them play for a while, show the faithful they aren’t forgotten about, cheer them on and head off when they have to. They effect may not be immediate but it will be positive and spoken about.

The Lions really do have something special in that we have a connection with two cities. The stronger the bond between the clubs the more it becomes a real strength; 9 home games in Brisbane, 6-7 “home games” in Melbourne. I’ve been to a lot of games in Melbourne and there is plenty of support but not enough are wearing membership tags. We are 12ish mill in debt, everything little thing act is going to count.

Thanks again LI

G'day Lions_Insider ,
Please pass on our "Fan Appreciation" for Hugh signing & wish him well, on our behalf.

And give Dom a "pat on the back" ...... (with greater salutations to follow once he locks in "Witho").

Last edited:
G'day Li,
Please pass on our "Fan Appreciation" for Hugh signing & wish him well, on our behalf.

And give Dom a "pat on the back" ...... (with greater salutations to follow once he locks in "Witho").

ps I'm guessing this one may attract some likes

Likes whore

Hi Lions insider

I know this may be a little controversial but would really like an answer.

How does the club feel about us making money of problem gamblers and any chance ww will follow the lead of North Melbourne and get rid of pokies?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi guys,

Won't have much capacity to reply to question over the next few weeks.

Keep on asking questions, but just don't expect a reply until mid-January or so

Thanks for your support of the team and hope you all have a great Christmas and New Year!

Thanks LI, thanks for your engagement this year, it's been great. Have a great break.

Hi Lions insider

I know this may be a little controversial but would really like an answer.

How does the club feel about us making money of problem gamblers and any chance ww will follow the lead of North Melbourne and get rid of pokies?

Hi,

I'll get back to you in the new year. Not ignoring the question, just want to prepare a proper response after talking to the high-level staff, most of who are away on holidays at the moment.

Cheers,

Hi LI, understand you said mid Jan about replies but was wondering what training times and place there are this week?

I would suggest that the football department has decided not to hold many open training sessions and as a result unlike previous years, there aren't sessions each week that they're promoting for people to go to.

Hi Lions Insider,

I am just curious if the club receives a financial benefit from the Gabba Trust and Cricketers club? Just some questions on one of the other threads so just want to see if being a Gabba Trust member does in some way trickle down to the Lions.

Thanks and really appreciate the engagement by the club.

Cheers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back