ATP ATP Tour 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
Sinner wins his first ATP title, be the first of many and I reckon he'll be top 10 in 24 months time.

ATP finals in London begin tonight with a rematch of last years final between Thiem and the Spartan to get things started.

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
What a drop off from the top 8 inclusive of Federer to the rest.

Schwartzman so out of place.

Ideally I guess Shapovalov would have made it but some uninspiring players in the bottom half of the top 20. Has Goffin even won a match this year.

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
What a drop off from the top 8 inclusive of Federer to the rest.
That's just the nature of modern tennis - it encourages dominance at the top.

I was looking at some stats from my favourite tennis season (1992) the other day. This is the year-end top 20:

1. Jim Courier
2. Stefan Edberg
3. Pete Sampras
4. Goran Ivanisevic
5. Boris Becker
6. Michael Chang
7. Petr Korda
8. Ivan Lendl
9. Andre Agassi
10. Richard Krajicek
11. Guy Forget
12. Wayne Ferreira
13. MaliVai Washington
14. Carlos Costa
15. Michael Stich
16. Sergei Brugera
17. Alexander Volkov
18. Thomas Muster
19. Henrik Holm
20. John McEnroe

14 of those 20 players (including the entire top 10) won at least one Grand Slam title at some point in their career. A couple of the others were pretty unlucky to miss out.

I really miss the pre-2004 days when there was genuine uncertainty about who would win a given tournament.

Last edited:
May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
That's just the nature of modern tennis - it encourages dominance at the top.

I was looking at some stats from my favourite tennis season (1992) the other day. This is the year-end top 20:

1. Jim Courier
2. Stefan Edberg
3. Pete Sampras
4. Goran Ivanisevic
5. Boris Becker
6. Michael Chang
7. Petr Korda
8. Ivan Lendl
9. Andre Agassi
10. Richard Krajicek
11. Guy Forget
12. Wayne Ferreira
13. MaliVai Washington
14. Carlos Costa
15. Michael Stich
16. Sergei Brugera
17. Alexander Volkov
18. Thomas Muster
19. Henrik Holm
20. John McEnroe

14 of those 20 players (including the entire top 10) won at least one Grand Slam title at some point in their career. A couple of the others were pretty unlucky to miss out.

I really miss the pre-2004 days when there was genuine uncertainty about who would win a given tournament.

That's just the greatness of the big 3 now for 15 years, those days will come again, I think we should just appreciate what Federer, Nadal and Djokovic have achieved.

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
That's just the greatness of the big 3 now for 15 years, those days will come again, I think we should just appreciate what Federer, Nadal and Djokovic have achieved.
Nah. It's not really about the players, it's about the way the game has changed.

Homogenised surfaces, modern racquets, copoly strings, 32-seed fields, less five set matches, more compulsory events all contribute to keeping the same players at the top of the rankings, winning the same tournaments, year after year after year.

Things may get a little more varied after the big three retire, but the future of tennis is essentially a smaller number of guys being more dominant for longer. Future changes to the tour will only reinforce that - the last 15 years have shown that it has proven a very lucrative business model for professional tennis.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JamisonRun40

Norm Smith Medallist
May 26, 2013
Nollamara, WA
AFL Club
Carlton
I thought both semis and the final was great tennis. Boy how I have missed watching great matches. Would of been happy with either Thiem or Medvedev winning. Hoping that Medvedev can grab a GS next year.

Back