Aurelio Vidmar Retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 27, 2003
Kensington Gardens
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
B'ham CityFC Adelaide United FC
Aurelio Vidmar has decided to retire from playing for Adelaide United, it will be officially announced tomorrow.

Reds fans, let's have a hearty three cheers for one of SA's Greatest Footballers.

Hip, hip hooray!
Hip, hip hooray!
Hip, hip hooray!

Full credit to Aurelio Vidmar for realising that his time had come, it was painful to watch him in the last 2 performances and a great of our local game did not deserve to remembered in that fashion. Thank you for putting the club first Viddy and your efforts on the pitch in Season 1 will always be valued and appreciated. I look forward to seeing what you bring to the club as Assistant Coach and training young players in what it takes to be a professional. We are a lucky club to have such an experienced Football person on our backroom staff.

I will certainly be giving him a standing ovation when the club give him the send off he deserves.

He did the right thing.

Any idea who will replace him? Is there a position in the squad for Freddy Agius or is he not in the plans at all.

This has come as a bit of a surprise, I know he is struggling with form but after doing the pre-season and whatnot I assumed he would stay for the season.

Somehow we need to get Mori.
I know it is not possible but I can still dream.

doiler said:
Any idea who will replace him? Is there a position in the squad for Freddy Agius or is he not in the plans at all.
I wish....sadly it wont happen :(

I know he wasnt playing his best but to see a champion retire is always a sad occasion!! I hope we get to see him play one last time or at least a lap of honour!

signs003.gif
Viddie and thanks for everything!

fing22.gif

GOALden Hawk said:
8 years, should have retired before the Iran game.

What rubbish.

Vidmar was a great player for Australia over the years. Sure he missed some chances in that game but he wasn't the only one.

Thanks for the memories Viddie and for making the right decision when it mattered. :)

Thanks for the memories Viddie who have been a great servant to Australia and Adelaide City/united over the years. We will miss ya. Get Tony back hear to play for us.

Just a quick one has mori decided if he is staying with Glory or playing for us last i heard he was playing for City in the state league

Ray Nolan said:
Mori is under contract to City, as I understand it we'll need to pay a transfer fee to get him and the club has not wanted to do that. It'll be interesting to see if this changes that state of mind.

well i hope it does Mori may be getting old but we have lacked a key strkier that can score 15-20 goals a season. We had carl veart last year with 8 i think, it will be worth the money. Not only that i just wanna see mori in the new Adelaide colours.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ray Nolan said:
Mori is under contract to City, as I understand it we'll need to pay a transfer fee to get him and the club has not wanted to do that. It'll be interesting to see if this changes that state of mind.

Surely United need to swallow their pride and pay the fee.

I know City were asking a fair bit but Mori is needed at United and the money will be worth it I feel.

I thought it had gone past that stage and Mori had decided to stay at City due to his feeling of owing D'Ottavi for bringing him back and coaching there.

The fee was around $40,000 I thought.

If we can't/won't fork out $20k then I'll be extremely annoyed. Christs sake, it's not that much money. Maybe if they spent money on the playing side of things instead of shacking up Courtney Murphey and other poxy pre-game crap than it might easier for 'em.

Aurelio Vidmar to retire?

Vidmar considering options
By DANIEL LATO

ADELAIDE United captain Aurelio Vidmar may today bring the curtain down on one of the greatest careers in Australian soccer.

Vidmar yesterday met with club officials to discuss his immediate future with the new A-League franchise.

Club chief executive Michael Petrillo last night confirmed the 38-year-old had met with the club's soccer department which includes Petrillo, coach John Kosmina and football manager John Perin.

The trio laid out various scenarios for the veteran striker, who spent last night considering his options. It was expected Vidmar would speak to the club again this morning before making an announcement about his decision at a press conference.

Vidmar has played in three World Cup qualifying campaigns for Australia, two Confederation Cups and also represented his country at the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta. He started his senior career at Adelaide City in 1984 before heading to Europe in 1991. The striker played in five overseas countries, his most successful spell coming with Standard Liege where he was the top scorer in Belgium with 22 goals in the 1994-95 season. In 1995 he was voted Oceania Player of the Year.

His eight-year overseas career ended in 1999 when he returned to once again lead the Adelaide City attack in the old NSL.

When Adelaide United was formed following the withdrawal of City from the NSL in 2003, Vidmar was signed and installed as inaugural club captain taking his NSL games total to 294 and goal tally to 52.

However, he played no part in the Club World Championship qualifiers for United after suffering a hamstring injury.

In the two pre-season cup matches played at Hindmarsh in the past week-and-a-half, he has been substituted before the end of each game

This is unexpected.

Congrats to Aurelio on his career - takes a lot of guts to pull the plug before the season, seems he's staying on at the club in a coaching role though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back