Australia vs England - a different stadium mindset

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't the clubs in England mostly build and own their stadiums? Different business model applies in Australia, where the various state governments have a large say in what happens.
Very good point. A club is wise and allowed to have a relatively small amount of seats to increase profit – a bit like having one supermarket for 50,000 people.

However, should state governments really be in the business of limiting capacity to increase the funds of sometimes privately owned (A-League) teams? I mean, maybe Perth could be an example of it benefitting the state government (more money for the AFL clubs means more cash for the WAFC which means more government income can go towards other things) but even that is incidental. It's probably their place to, if anything, provoke engagement or something.

Of course though, it is mutually beneficial to have a smaller stadium (within reason). More money for the clubs and a smaller bill for Barney (or Napthine).

the same thing happens in the USA in the NFL.
they have the highest crowd average in the world 68,401k the stadiums that are build only ever have around a 65 to 70k capacity. the games are never shown on tv live against the gate either.some of the clubs have over a billion dollar annual revenue.

it makes you wonder why they never build any bigger stadiums

Nearly all NFL games are shown live against the gate in local markets. They only aren't if the game is not a sell out. But given most of them sell out, they are shown.

How often does Aami Park sell out? It's a perfect little stadium, not hard at all to get tickets to any match played there. Compare this to the 'small' english stadiums... I'm pretty sure all of the ashes tickets are sold and sold at a premium for every day of every test (except for lords which is belloted). That is small.
Melbourne Victory is only Swan Street club that sell out the games regularly. Only one game out of 4 so far this season hasn't sold out.
It's a perfect ground for Storm, City and Rebels. Victory have a cracking deal with Docklands which saves its bacon capicity and money wise. Only time Swan Street might get an increase is if AFL do not renew Victorys contract when they take ownership, then club will have a great case to increase capacity.

Arsenals move to Ashburton Grove (Emirates Stadium) in 2004 is a great insight into what English clubs have to do to afford a new stadium these days.

Epl crowds are almost completely adult male.

Give me the better ratio of females and kids that over sized grounds bring any day.

I think they tried it on with docklands a bit but it didnt work

Adelaide oval, metricon sydney showgrounds with the open endalow for an increase, even if it is just temporary.

Also in england i think they missed the boat by not building a big ground for cricket, think the olympic stadium. But as you say they are elitist. Even wembley gets kept for special occasions, not used for london derbies

Mind you the reserves in the mcg are a bit elitist and make it over complicated buying tickets

One thing i that i am waiting to be announced is the number of general admin tickets to be reserved if the membership grows. Governments often justify expenditure like this as the potential cost will be partly offset by tourism. I will normally go to 1 or two interstate games, but i won't go to Perth due to the difficulty in knowing that you will be able to get a ticket at a reasonable price in advance.

This is another difference between english clubs and here, there they are just about getting the maximum amount of coin for their club, here the state government wants some of that money to be spread further than the respective clubs.

The issue is, though, how many middle of the road EPL clubs sell out every game? Not many. There are sides with brand new stadiums, especially Wigan when they were in the Premier League, not even selling 60% of tickets.

Furthermore, Adelaide Oval could hold 65,000-70,000 and probably sell out most games considering the Crows always do and Port are playing well.

Perth is also a massively growing city. At present, 60,000 is short-minded. How limited and restrictive will it be in 20 years?

Bigger capacities are much better. Expands growth and allows for a better culture to brew.
Isn't the Perth stadium designed so it can be easily increased to 70000. If you look at the design, there is space on the top deck to add more stands. I do not think a ground bigger than 70 000 will be needed for a long long time, even if there are the occasional sell out games. A few games a year where you could fit more in doesn't justify the expense imo.

England has a long history of rewarding he 'elite' at the expense of the masses so it's hardly a surprise that they take the approach that they do. Australia, however, was built on egalitarian principles so it makes sense that we have traditionally built stadiums with excessive supply.

Honestly I don't see the problem with providing infrastructure that can be widely used. Our stadiums are typically paid for by taxpayers so there's no good reason to limit capacity to raise ticket prices.

Hear hear.

Making sport accessible is a big reason why a variety of sports are so ingrained within our culture. Long term, it increases the demand for the product. The other approach, of artificially creating scarcity, might make for some cool short-term profits; but I think our approach is much better.

I agree with OP that smaller, packed out stadiums can be a good thing. Loved watching Aus v Kuwait at Melbourne Rectangular Stadium. It would not be the same at the MCG.

Overall though, with the people (via taxes) are paying for the stadiums, may as well make them big enough for the people to actually get inside them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back