Australia Vs South Africa

Remove this Banner Ad

usalion said:
Read the FIFA rankings, my friend....

Ah, yes, the FIFA rankings. The absolute truth when it comes to international football. According to this the USA is only one spot below the Italians ... they've got more talent then the USA could dream of having.

Italy would thump America. Yeah, even Italy's defensive mentality would. Watch their first half against Sweden at Euro2004 - America would get blown to pieces by that. Sweden restricted them to one goal, and according to FIFA's all important rankings America are better than Sweden.

FIFA's rankings are also calculated by the number of games played and won. USA will win more games in their qualifications than Sweden will (play more, easier opponents). Apparently Spain are the fifth best in the world. They aren't.

Same old yanks.

usalion said:
I'll say it again- the USA will be the next side to win the World Cup that has not already won it (France, brazil, Germany etc.... I think it should happen by 2020, but will take time and probably a bump or two on the road.

By the way, we have an excellent squad, and can bring in young players onto an international stage....part of being a TOP TEN SIDE in the world....

Again, I hope you guys qualify, but the best you could hope for is a Scottish three and out in Germany 2006. We will be playing in round 2 and the quarters...with a decent break, we COULD make the semis.....

Typical American arrogance, delusions of grandeur and superiority. Thankfully you are still Poland's bitch.

Could you perhaps be of more service and tell that money hungry obese prick called Malcolm Glazer to buy a new 'franchise' in your pathetic soccer league over there? I'm sure his zillions could propel your league to new highs.

usalion said:
part of being a TOP TEN SIDE in the world....

USA is ranked 11th the last time I checked. Germany are ranked 16th, and Germany are a lot better than America. Try getting one of your hacks to be successful out of your sh*t league.

Not even England would lose to the USA with Svennis in charge. :D

DB10 said:
USA is ranked 11th the last time I checked. Germany are ranked 16th, and Germany are a lot better than America. Try getting one of your hacks to be successful out of your sh*t league.

Not even England would lose to the USA with Svennis in charge. :D

Isn't DaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaMarcus Beasley warming the bench in the Bundesliga? Or did he crack the sh1ts and go home?

Sexiano Ronaldo said:
Just like the Portugese, who've never performed at a major tournament since I can remember.

Turkey 14th? Pfft.

Sexiano Ronaldo said:
Isn't DaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaMarcus Beasley warming the bench in the Bundesliga? Or did he crack the sh1ts and go home?

He plays second fiddle to Jefferson Farfan at PSV. When PSV played against us Lauren had one of his easiest games ever :D

Sexiano Ronaldo said:
I forgot, this clown's probably been read the tugfest on BigSoccer and convinced himself the Yanks are a world-class team :rolleyes:

The same place where the NY/NJ MetroStars and DC United are as good as Valencia and Inter Milan? :eek:

Sexiano Ronaldo said:
Well if DaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaMarcus doesn't get ya, Landon Donavan must.

Oh I dunno, he couldn't hack it at Bayer Leverkusen and went crying back to Los Angeles so he could go surfing.

What happened to Claudio Reyna?

Sexiano Ronaldo said:
They are as good as Valencia and Inter Milan ... women's reserves.

Bring the WUSA back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sexiano Ronaldo said:
Who cares?

Brian McBridge? Carlos Bocanegra?

Yeah, who does care?

But they do have a lot of good keppers ...

Paul Reid has been having an excellent season for Brighton.

I'd like to see Farina give him a run in a friendly and see how he went.

He can play as a defender of midfielder.

As for the idiot who said aussie soccer was on the wane, there's never been as many registered junior players in the nation as there is now.

AndSmithMustScore said:

As for the idiot who said aussie soccer was on the wane, there's never been as many registered junior players in the nation as there is now.

And never have the national soccer fields been more vacany .

snakebite01 said:
The whole problem with the Oceania system is that we virtually only have 2 games to qualify for the World Cup Finals, we'd much rather see us in a group format. I don't claim it easy to play Mexico, but really 3 places for the Americas is ridiculous, it is as easy to qualify due to the lack of good American nations as it would be if one whole place was given to Oceania. As it stands we probably have one of the hardest routes, not as in the competition, but we really have to win every game to qualify, which is difficult when going from ******** easy games against Oceania to playing a tough South American opponent in a knockout format. Virtually, the Aust team would come together once every four years, hardly ideal conditions, which is now why we are playing Friendlies at every possible opportunity.
Agreed. The problem we've faced in the last 20 years isn't that we're not good enough, but we've NEVER been given a fair go. No equality what so ever- no time for full-strength side to be as battle-hardened for big games as others, which explains why the play-off games have been hard.

The other problem is that the structure of the World Cup and qualifiers, since the expansion to 32 teams, is flawed and if anything rewards mediocrity. That's why I don't get it when people criticised Oceania for getting direct qualification only to have it taken away. It may be an easy route, but dozens of other less than stellar teams also have a free ride in. Not to mention, we definitely aren't the only ones who have a right to feel aggrieved that we weren't there in 2002- Holland, Romania and Iran, likewise will feel they should have been there ahead of the glut of undeserving teams.

In the past, qualifying for the World Cup was seen as an achievement for many countries. That's why our sole qualification to date in 1974 stands out as an achievement. Today, however, it's simply something a nation with the quality of players Australia produces simply MUST do. And I have every confidence that we can and will do that, this time around.

Sexiano Ronaldo said:

He is actually playing for PSV Eindhoven. And scored a while back from memory.

Do they have Starbucks in Eindhoven by chance?

Or are Dutch always on the look out for that special local kind of coffee shop?;-)

JF

PS:- Seriously, we have better individual players, but under the grouchy geezer Bruce Arena the Seppos are better TEAM. As shown by WC2002 and Euro2004, you don't have to be world-beaters to do well at a big tournie any more. Just be disciplined, have a shrewd coach (which Australia does NOT!). And be streetsmart.

A few comments on the game now that I've managed to see it. We must never play 4-5-1 again sitting back. We got killed in the first half and were lucky South Africa didn't put us to the sword. Vidmar should never, ever start - 10 mins jobs as a sub are fine but no more. Defence looked better for Moore being there, Neill was solid, Poppa was average. Grella went OK, needs to do a better job shielding the back 4, Bresciano good without being great, Culina never had a chance to get into the game but tried hard, Tiatto, not good enough down the left flank. Agostino never had a chance to show what he can do and is ALWAYS better playing off another striker. Dumb tactics again there by Cranky Franky. Of the subs, Chippers did well, cracking goal. Vieri didn't do much and neither did Thompson or Wilkshire. McKain looked handy when he came on, should get a start against Indonesia IMO. Poor performance generally that was saved by 10 good minutes in the second half. Worst show of the night was Farina's post game interview. People got up at the arsecrack of dawn to watch the game and you just stand there like a sullen pryck barely answering Orsatti's questions.

Ray Nolan said:
Worst show of the night was Farina's post game interview. People got up at the arsecrack of dawn to watch the game and you just stand there like a sullen pryck barely answering Orsatti's questions.

He is probably still sooking after Les Murray gave him a spray a couple of years ago.

Managed to catch the final 70 minutes on replay.

I must say, very very impressive performance considering our outs, the appalling conditions (to those who said 'we played in slow-motion' - funnily enough, in a torrent you're rarely able to play like Brazil) and the quality of the opposition.

Schwarzer - I didn't catch the goal in normal motion, only on replay on one of those dodgy ground-level behind the goal 45 degree angles. Was he unsighted? Did the ball go under him? Either way, Bosnich at his best is miles ahead of this guy. Rarely tested in the second half. 6

Vidmar - My kingdom for a leftback. Paddy Kisnorbo, where are you?! 6

Popovic - This guy personifies everything that is wrong with our defence. Everytime the ball was played in to his opponent he'd let them turn and shoot every time. Far too loose. Far too immobile. South America's many guns will shoot holes in our net if he doesn't get his act together. 5

Moore - A class above at the back, switching effortlessly between centre and right when the situation demanded. For us to be half a chance of going to Germany, Moore simply has to be on the field. Despite all his recent injury worries and transfer sagas he still has the requisite class to protect Schwarzer, we just need to find him a decent partner. 7

Neill - Solid, nothing more, as usual. 6.5

Emerton - Seemed to be running up and down on the spot for the most part. Admittedly the conditions didn't suit, but needs to take players on and head for the byline more often. 6.5

Grella - The windscreen wiper that never got turned on. Some nice passes and made a decent attempt to pace our forays forward, but needs to get stuck in a lot more. I think I just described the last two years of Paul Okon's international career. 6

Bresciano - Didn't look dangerous and seemed to get frustrated, but again, the conditions didn't suit his style of play at all. 6

Culina - Decent enough debut. Showed some cute control at times, but didn't seem better than the options we already have. We need a Rommedahl or young Lazaridis outwide. Someone who can terrify any given defence with raw pace or an alpine slalom. 6.5

Tiatto - Utterly pointless. 5

Agostino - Toiled but didn't do enough for a man of his size. Did Faritard even bother to add the words "Pauly, hold the ball up" to his prematch teamtalk? 5.5

Subs:

Chipperfield - The goal, what a gem! If only he could show his technique more often. He has bags of skill, but lacks pace, which is very much the deciding factor at international level. Still, we couldn't have asked for anything more. 7.5

Sterjovski - To my mind, excluding Kewell, Sterjovski is currently the best crosser of a ball we have, but he never gets in a position to deliver one, partly due to the fact that he has to come on so late in the game. If Faritard doesn't give him a full 90 minutes down the right against Indonesia then there's really no point in us playing friendlies. 5.5

Vieri - Tries hard, whinges too much. If he could score he'd be Christian's clone. Sadly, he isn't. 5.5

Thompson - Hmmm. Why didn't we select Scott McDonald? Kill two birds with one stone. Cap him for life and bring in a better forward with far more potential than Archie, who is on the way back home to spearhead the A-League. 5

Wilkshire - Why is it, that in 2005, we're selecting second division cloggers? Luke was promising enough at Boro, now he's just another Aussie kid who didn't make it. The difference is, he's somehow winning international caps. 5

McKain - Why oh why oh why did Faritard not start him alongside Moore in the middle? The lads has a load of talent and more importantly, natural defensive nous. A few years ago Laybutt was given 1000 chances to impress, same goes for Colosimo, but they failed badly. Now we have two promising defenders in McKain and Kisnorbo and they can't get a look-in, in a WCQ year no less... ah the subtle nuances of the moronic. 6.5

Ray Nolan said:
Vidmar should never, ever start - 10 mins jobs as a sub are fine but no more.
Surely there must be someone we can write to and ask for just that. The last three or four games Vidmar has played its been the same comments. Surely the powers that be can take FF aside and have a quiet word in his ear to start playing the young blood at the back?

Who would we email on this? Surely there must be some way we can get an acknowledgment that change in our back four is needed. I've tried finding a way of contacting SBS sport, but cannot find an email for Les Murray or The World Game show. What about Soccer Australia or whatever its called? FFS, if it comes down to us failing to qualify for Germany 2006 for change to happen then get my pitchfork and burning torch out, 'cos I'll be there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back