Resource Australian Football History Resource Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The SLV has announced they will begin digitising the Melbourne's Sun News Pictorial from 1922 -1954 and are looking to fundraise the $200,000 for it.

I'm going to assume that paper will be quite important from a football point of view

These are starting to show up now (Sep. 1922-Jan. 1923), which is exciting to see!!

Is there anywhere online you can see digital copies of the daily paper versions of The Age or Herald Sun, 2001-2006?

I see the slv has text based versions, but i'm after some stats that don't seem to get included in that.

I'm looking for the list of Richmond players who played in the VFL 2023 season, and the number of games they played that year.
Ie: John Smith 14 games

The VFL Stats site seems to only list every player since 2021

Or the round by round teams. (which, worst case scenario I can manually tally)
- Richmond VFL

I'm sure I've seen a page previously having this information. But I may be wrong.
I've also asked the club for the information as well

Rhett

I'm looking for the list of Richmond players who played in the VFL 2023 season, and the number of games they played that year.
Ie: John Smith 14 games

The VFL Stats site seems to only list every player since 2021

Or the round by round teams. (which, worst case scenario I can manually tally)
- Richmond VFL

I'm sure I've seen a page previously having this information. But I may be wrong.
I've also asked the club for the information as well

Rhett

Here we are Rhett. Definitely a bit hard to find but I've managed to extract and sort these numbers for you.

Source is DFS Australia VFL Fantasy Summary; they also have stats for 2021 and 2022. I sorted by team and then copied the data into a spreadsheet, split out the names and sorted by surname.

First nameLast nameGames played
SamBanks14
JacobBauer13
BenBilston-McGillen4
TomBracher7
KaelanBradtke16
WillBravo7
TomBrindley16
HarryBroderick4
TomBrown10
SethCampbell5
JudsonClarke5
MatthewClarkson3
MaxClohesy7
BillyCooper9
MatthewCoulthard8
NoahCumberland7
ThomsonDow12
MutazEl Nour16
FraserElliot7
MisilifiFaimalo12
SteelyGreen16
AngusHicks18
LewisHill1
AustinJohnson18
LachlanJohnson4
MykeltiLefau11
RhyanMansell3
ArchieMay3
GarrettMcDonagh10
BradMelville14
BenMiller9
CharlieNaish1
JoelNathan10
BigoaNyuon17
CamOlden14
NathanPhilactides2
MarlionPickett1
HugoRalphsmith8
MauriceRioli5
JackRoss3
SamsonRyan6
IvanSoldo3
TylerSonsie14
LachlanStreet19
RobbieTarrant2
LukeTeal9
BeauTedcastle1
JamesTrezise18
HarrisonWhite7
MohammedYassine8
TylarYoung1

Last edited:
Here we are Rhett. Definitely a bit hard to find but I've managed to extract and sort these numbers for you.

Source is DFS Australia VFL Fantasy Summary; they also have stats for 2021 and 2022. I sorted by team and then copied the data into a spreadsheet, split out the names and sorted by surname.

First nameLast nameGames played
SamBanks14
JacobBauer13
BenBilston-McGillen4
TomBracher7
KaelanBradtke16
WillBravo7
TomBrindley16
HarryBroderick4
TomBrown10
SethCampbell5
JudsonClarke5
MatthewClarkson3
MaxClohesy7
BillyCooper9
MatthewCoulthard8
NoahCumberland7
ThomsonDow12
MutazEl Nour16
FraserElliot7
MisilifiFaimalo12
SteelyGreen16
AngusHicks18
LewisHill1
AustinJohnson18
LachlanJohnson4
MykeltiLefau11
RhyanMansell3
ArchieMay3
GarrettMcDonagh10
BradMelville14
BenMiller9
CharlieNaish1
JoelNathan10
BigoaNyuon17
CamOlden14
NathanPhilactides2
MarlionPickett1
HugoRalphsmith8
MauriceRioli5
JackRoss3
SamsonRyan6
IvanSoldo3
TylerSonsie14
LachlanStreet19
LukeTeal9
BeauTedcastle1
JamesTrezise18
HarrisonWhite7
MohammedYassine8
TylarYoung1
Well that's far and above what I was hoping for with a response.
Thats very kind of you Gibbsy. Thank you Rhett

Gibbsy Im gonna be a pain here- but is there any chance please of extrapolating the goals kicked as well for those players in the 2023 VFL season?

Not using that source unfortunately – I've tried, but the table only provides averages to two decimal places, so even using some multiplication formulas I can't get exact goal numbers. Tallying up manually using the game logs on that same website would work, but would take a lot of time.

The VFL Stats website has a page for you that will do the trick though. Obviously anyone not listed there did play at least 1 game but kicked 0 goals.

Btw, I accidentally left Robbie Tarrant off the games list: 2 games, 0 goals. I've edited the above table to add him in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gibbsy Im gonna be a pain here- but is there any chance please of extrapolating the goals kicked as well for those players in the 2023 VFL season?
Download the VFL/VFLW app it has all player match stats for 2023. Better get in quick before the season starts or it may be lost.

Are there any plans for australianfootball.com to allow people to contribute local footy scores? I noticed that Bellarine FL has one round of results from 1999 up and the YVMDFL goes back to about 1988.

Are there any plans for australianfootball.com to allow people to contribute local footy scores? I noticed that Bellarine FL has one round of results from 1999 up and the YVMDFL goes back to about 1988.

All you can do is ask – I think that having a larger local footy database is on their agenda. Oliver G is our contact here, send him a DM :)

All you can do is ask – I think that having a larger local footy database is on their agenda. Oliver G is our contact here, send him a DM :)

Absolutely! That is the plan moving forward. At the moment the game input system is extremely dated and a tedious exercise so given time constraints we only cover a small number of local competitions. I am pushing hard for a complete redevelopment of that system along with a bulk import function and the ability for an easy way for the public to contribute scores/stats, etc, etc.

I know I keep saying AF 2.0 is coming but the wheels are gradually starting to turn. Hopefully we'll have something to announce later this year.

Absolutely! That is the plan moving forward. At the moment the game input system is extremely dated and a tedious exercise so given time constraints we only cover a small number of local competitions. I am pushing hard for a complete redevelopment of that system along with a bulk import function and the ability for an easy way for the public to contribute scores/stats, etc, etc.

I know I keep saying AF 2.0 is coming but the wheels are gradually starting to turn. Hopefully we'll have something to announce later this year.
Very nice to hear! I might start with the VAFA from their Amateur Footballer pdfs when the time comes.

SOmeone is tagging Football Permits for articles in Trove. So it may come in handy for people down the track

Someone is tagging Football Permits for articles in Trove. So it may come in handy for people down the track
...that would be me - I've been adding permits & Trove sources to my player database. Often a good way of verifying player identity. Definitely one of those "when I have time" projects though

And a little tip
Searching for "League Seconds Permits' in Sun-Pic brings up a lot of hits
Good suggestion! Led me to find out that in 1937 Fitzroy seconds signed a player from a radio station.

1711442177210.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back