Ghost/Paranormal Australian Ghost Stories/Haunted Places

Remove this Banner Ad

Ghost stories are just stories

A large percentage of them appear to be people seeing or communicating with previously dead people. I think a more believable and logical explanation is people are grieving and looking for connections to their loved ones, some even flat out looking for their ghost in dark corners.

from there anything from a light turning off or a bang or a noise becomes a message from the dead, and a shadow or trick on the eyes becomes a ghost

Then there is the extremely large percentage of people who just like telling stories and are convinced they saw things they made up in their own head

There are also people and cultures where ghosts and the supernatural play a central part in their belief systems.

The Icelandic people have an interesting relationship with ghosts and even elves.

I guess my point is that some cultures (most) come from a trenchant view that they don't exist, while others don't. Ergo, one's cultural perspective informs/frames belief, and what constitutes 'proof'.

Here's an article from the LA Times some years ago about Iceland and the widespread belief in ghosts and fairies. Even to the point that their president talked about them etc.

It's interesting from a cultural perspective.

http://articles.latimes.com/1986-10-12/news/mn-2866_1_ghost

REYKJAVIK — Iceland's president tells visitors of chats with a ghost haunting her official residence.

"In addition, in this North Atlantic island of 250,000 people, roads have been diverted to avoid disturbing "elf mounds" and a quarry stopped work for a few weeks to give fairies time to move out.

pixel.gif

In Iceland the supernatural is taken so much for granted that so-called "invisibles" rate the same matter-of-fact entries in the local road guide as geysers, monuments or waterfalls."

Another Anzac Highway ghost story....People have reported to have spotted a girl with blood all over her on Anzac Highway near Glenelg. They'd pick her up to take her to the hospital and asked her what happened and she would answer. They'd then turn around and she isn't there anymore.
That sounds like a variation of "The Vanishing Hitchhiker" urban legend.

Only real ghost stories I know from up here in the Top End are the old gaol, which apparently you can hear moans coming from the gallows at night. And the Poinciana Woman that haunts East Point, the old site used by the army during the bombing of darwin. Apparently she was a young woman raped by a bunch of soldiers, and she hung herself on one of the poinciana trees on site after discovering she was pregnant, and now her ghost haunts the area. I've been there many times in the middle of the night to try see something, but never had anything unusual happen except for a door slamming behind me. Do know people that claim to have seen her, one even claimed to have been scratched by her. Don't really know what to believe, but if there's anyone from Darwin who knows more of the story, please elaborate

There's a place called Harry's Hut near The Sunshine Coast in Queensland. Great camping spot, where we had our year 10 camp back in the day. The story goes that a bloke named Harry owned the land back in the day and used to rent it out to families to camp on. He had a house at the front but the rest was free to camp, hike, swim in the river etc.

One day a family was camping there when their two daughters went missing. The police were called in and they searched the whole area upside down, eventually they found the two girls, dead, in Harry's basement. Later on they found Harry who had hung himself from 1 of the big trees alongside the river.

Since that day people have always claimed to see/hear weird things going on. The local police constantly get calls from people going canoeing early in the morning who claim to see somebody hanging from a tree, when the police arrive there is never anybody there.

As I said we stayed there in year 10 and kept hearing little girls laughing and calling out all throughout the night. Never was sure if it was somebody having a joke or something else but it scared the s**t out of us.

Only real ghost stories I know from up here in the Top End are the old gaol, which apparently you can hear moans coming from the gallows at night. And the Poinciana Woman that haunts East Point, the old site used by the army during the bombing of darwin. Apparently she was a young woman raped by a bunch of soldiers, and she hung herself on one of the poinciana trees on site after discovering she was pregnant, and now her ghost haunts the area. I've been there many times in the middle of the night to try see something, but never had anything unusual happen except for a door slamming behind me. Do know people that claim to have seen her, one even claimed to have been scratched by her. Don't really know what to believe, but if there's anyone from Darwin who knows more of the story, please elaborate
Lived up there for a few years a couple of years ago, was in Fannie Bay so was relatively close to both of them. Rode my bike up to East Point often but never saw or heard anything

Ghosts are usually seen wearing clothing. I always found that odd - does that mean clothes have a 'soul' too?

How far do you take it? Skin is just physical clothing of the soul, as are bones, in fact everything physical. Perhaps we can assume the soul is nebulous in a 3D world, but that one's soul displays an image reliant on how the body and person looked upon death.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My parents moved into an apartment at the redeveloped Willsmere complex in Kew (which is very 'high end' i must say). Suffice to say they didn't live there too long. Mum was convinced it was haunted, and she is not one to believe in ghosts.

Absolutely. 6 days out of 7 you'd see me surging down Dick Ward Drive.
Did you start your day in Coconut Grove before surging down Dick Ward Drive into Fannie Bay?

Sit back , relax and put your feet up and read a very true story.
It started back way back . My parents and my siblings moved into a country town coming from the coast and moving inland to another town.
The house they purchased was built early 1900's.
We had been there about a couple of months and i started hearing music and a baby crying . I thought it must have been the Tv and or radio on down in the lounge room or kitchen .
This went on and on for over a year . In the end i got sick of it and got up about 1 am and NO ONE was awake.The baby and music stopped.
I couldnt sleep the rest of the night. I got up at 5 am and went for a run around the streets as i used to like to keep fit etc.
Anyway after a couple of weeks i plucked up the courage and told one of my sisters and my mother .My sister had heard the same thing and one of my nieces had already told my mother something similar .
My sister wanted to swap rooms with me so i obliged.DUMB MOVE.
Now it gets scary.Objects in my room such as a radio, desk top ornaments etc were moved sometimes at night when i was asleep .
One night i felt a kiss on my cheek and this white ghostly woman was there . I froze then screamed and woke everyone up . They came running in and i was shaking and white as white.
I slept in the lounge for a while and eventually got the courage to go back to my room.Another time ....
WTF , i woke up and here was this thing like a man sitting on my bed , it was a man smiling and it was a ghost .
Wow , i totally froze seriously froze. In the morning my mother came in and i was still frozen . I told her what happened .
The baby crying and music would still play .
Over time my sister and my mother would hear things like different noises etc . My father lol at us and called us nut cases
Both my nieces saw and heard this woman ghost as did other people who visted us.Not all saw or heard them .A couple of my fathers mates saw things and they didnt come back often.
One night my father came home from work at about midnight.I heard him talking and about 1 am my mother went out to tell them to keep their voices down.FMD , my father was on his own and had poured a glass of beer for another person , the man ghost and passed it to him at the end of the table and was talking to him , thinking he was a friend we knew from the previous town we were in .My father swore black and blue the man was there , mum saw no one but we all heard them.
My father never again thought we were crazy.
Another time When many of us were out the back and coming into the home , we would see a shadow walking in the kitchen , which was one of the ghosts.So many of us saw them.
One day i was home and was laying down in my room and only my mother was home and she was asleep in her room.
Suddenly the front wire door slammed and then the wooden front door slammed , then the back WOODEN door then the back wire door slammed , then the wire FRONT door slammed.
I raced out of my room thinking mum had gone mad and she came out of her room the same time as me , we just glared at each other and were shocked but we knew it was the ghost/s . So i got my dog from out side and bought him in .He wouldnt go into my room or up the hallway , i tried dragging him and he was yelping so i let him go .He would never again go into my room or down the front hallway.
One day i was standing up watching the cricket on tv and suddenly out ofthe corner of my eye , a lady in a white gown carrying a baby walked THROUGH the walls from my room to another bedroom.
I couldnt believe what i saw but i then realised i wasnt going mad. I told my family and a couple of them saw her at different stages.
They kind of grew on you but the noises continued etc.The music was baby music sounds like a wind up music box.
When i was older and married i never told my wife of what was going on at mum and dads place.
So one night she was coming up from outside and thought i was hiding in the kitchen to play a joke on her and scare her . She crept inside wanting to scare me but i was in the lounge room , She was shaking as she saw a shadow on the blinds walking in the kitchen then crouching down thinking it was me .I then told her what was really going on .A few yrs later she still talks about seeing the ghost/s now and then as we all do .
I was researching who lived in the house way before my parents bought it and was astonished to find a man who resembled the ghost my father was talking to that night . Unfortunately my parents have passed away but they would have been interested to see his photo . I showed my wife and she recognised the description of what we were told.
I have not been able to find out about the female ghost and the baby .
Up until my parents sold the house and moved on the ghosts were there as well as music being played and also the cries of the baby could be heard.So many incidents in that house scared many of us , but we were never ever threatened
After a few years of living there i realised they were not going to hurt me but i tell you what it still scares me thinking about it all.

The ghosts and sounds are real as there are too many people who have seen them and heard the baby and music.

Up in Wyperfeld National Park in the Mallee(northern Victoria) there was an old settlers shack that was said to be haunted.

The story was that a man and his family settled there in a very remote part of the area. Times were tough and with little food or water the man set off to find help for the family.

It's said he never returned and the wife and children all perished at the shack.

Several people over the years stayed in the shack for shelter while passing through the area. The most common report was of the door opening by itself once locked and of a white silhouette of a person standing at the open door.

It's said to be the wife waiting for her husband to return.

Last edited:
Hearing babies cry at night can often be foxes.

My Grandfather was a Grader driver up in the Mallee and one night he was set up in camp in a remote part of the area settling down by the fire.

Out of the silence of the night came what he and hi co-worker described as exactly like a baby crying.

This freaked them out naturally as they were in the middle of nowhere.

So they picked up their torches and went searching for where the noise was coming from.

After about 15 minutes searching they stumbled across what was making the noise.

Someone had set a trap along a fence line and a young fox had gotten trapped in it.

The scream-y howl is most often heard during the breeding season, in the springtime. It is...horrible. A shrill, hoarse scream of anguish, it sounds more than anything like a human baby undergoing some kind of physical torture. It's thought that this call is used by vixens (female foxes) to lure male foxes to them for mating, though males have been found to make this sound occasionally as well.

Last edited:
There's a playground at Joyce Park in Ormond. Me and my mates were having a little fun lighting off fireworks on Queen's birthday a couple of years ago. It was almost pitch dark and as we walked closer to the playground, we all saw a little girl aged 10-13 swinging, her face not recognisable. We asked her what she was doing there alone or if she needed help getting home but she said nothing the entire time. We got spooked and ran away. Creepy s**t. We did finish lighting the rest off though

There's a playground at Joyce Park in Ormond. Me and my mates were having a little fun lighting off fireworks on Queen's birthday a couple of years ago. It was almost pitch dark and as we walked closer to the playground, we all saw a little girl aged 10-13 swinging, her face not recognisable. We asked her what she was doing there alone or if she needed help getting home but she said nothing the entire time. We got spooked and ran away. Creepy s**t. We did finish lighting the rest off though

Shouldn't this post be on the "scared of deaf girls" board? ;)

lets get one thing straight
I am not lying.
The babies sounds were exactly that , a baby crying , it happened day and or night.
Not all the time but it happened.
The shadows were real as were all the other things that occured.

The music we heard was a sound like a wind up toy that played kids songs

No foxes, dogs or any BS ,it was what it was .The neighbours didnt have dogs or even cats or even birds and we were surrounded by houses and we were not living in isolation.Some of the neighbours even witnessed the happenings at my parents house.
Just face it , we can agree to disagree, fine, but i am telling the truth

Remove this Banner Ad

Back