Ghost/Paranormal Australian Ghost Stories/Haunted Places

Remove this Banner Ad

lets get one thing straight
I am not lying.
The babies sounds were exactly that , a baby crying , it happened day and or night.
Not all the time but it happened.
The shadows were real as were all the other things that occured.

The music we heard was a sound like a wind up toy that played kids songs

No foxes, dogs or any BS ,it was what it was .The neighbours didnt have dogs or even cats or even birds and we were surrounded by houses and we were not living in isolation.Some of the neighbours even witnessed the happenings at my parents house.
Just face it , we can agree to disagree, fine, but i am telling the truth

No one was downplaying your story, yours sounds like the real deal. But if foxes do sound like babies crying then some other cases may be explained that way. Like if someone was living in the bush and at night, especially during fox mating season, someone heard a baby crying.

No one was downplaying your story, yours sounds like the real deal. But if foxes do sound like babies crying then some other cases may be explained that way. Like if someone was living in the bush and at night, especially during fox mating season, someone heard a baby crying.

I think the point is that hearing something as an experience is far more open to misinterpretation of its origin than when you see something.

See Fyfie_, Messenger ? See? With a post like that, settling things down, calming the situation - I'm mod material.

See Fyfie_, Messenger ? See? With a post like that, settling things down, calming the situation - I'm mod material.

There needs to be a thread on here as to why you never got made a mod, despite being very qualified. Just don't cite the influence of the West Coast clique on TLC or your thread will surely be deleted.

There needs to be a thread on here as to why you never got made a mod, despite being very qualified. Just don't cite the influence of the West Coast clique on TLC or your thread will surely be deleted.

It'd just get shut down, very quickly. It's clear it's the aliens working in tandem with the NWO.

Ooh extra in the white font there!! Fyfie's been in the internet wars it would seem.

My work
Is a former morgue

I've seen an older gent in fishing attire sitting back with his feet up, only for him to disappear, and I've had a little girl ask me what I'm doing (when we've been closed)
I've also felt someone pushing me

Colleague insists that when he was standing above the old cellar door, he felt someone banging from beneath

Not that I believe in any of this nonsense, but Adelaide does seem to have quite a few urban legends passed around over the decades. Yeah, we have the cliched haunted pubs, hospitals, gaols, factories - but those are boring. We have some pretty unique ones too:

Schneider's Alley
Mad Monks
Lisa's House
The Witches House (that poor lady)
Anzac Highway has a couple of ghost legends at least - but are probably rip-offs of other stories.
Blinky Bill
Underground network

Sure there's more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not that I believe in any of this nonsense, but Adelaide does seem to have quite a few urban legends passed around over the decades. Yeah, we have the cliched haunted pubs, hospitals, gaols, factories - but those are boring. We have some pretty unique ones too:

Schneider's Alley
Mad Monks
Lisa's House
The Witches House (that poor lady)
Anzac Highway has a couple of ghost legends at least - but are probably rip-offs of other stories.
Blinky Bill
Underground network

Sure there's more.
Blinky Bill ? Please tell us THAT one ! (I have images of a ghostly Koala wearing clothes haunting some place )

Some of the more famous ones are The Rottnest Lodge (where they imprisoned Aborginals), Fremantle Museum (was an insane asylum), The Old York Hospital, The Alkimos ship wreck and The Mahogany Inn
O Hell yes to the Old York Hospital, we stayed there for a school camp back in 1989, that was a very long night, freaky noises, smells, that joint is 100% not normal

St Pauls Training School for Boys (1928 -79) was a home for wards of the state.

Based at Newhaven on Phillip Island it is obviously abandoned now (wandered through it one afternoon as a lot of people have), but certainly not a place I'd frequent at night as is purported to be haunted:

The bloke who filmed this is a bit over the top, but I must say it definitely is an eerie place.

I went to Larundel Mental Asylum in Bundoora years ago that was pretty creepy the security guard was kind enough to let us explore supposodely you were able to hear a music toy box playing but didn't hear jack.

I think you have to go at 3am to hear it. I went quite a few times a few years ago, but never at 3am. Some strange vibes at that place, it's also really rundown, holes on the floor and what not.

Herbert was a good mate with a few ghost stories from burra.

We talked logical one day about all the old cultures stories on ghosts and came to the conclusion they exist. Common knowledge.

Anyway for the next few years after his death. On the anniversary something would move in my room.

Once a chair then a blind

He was confirming our discussions validity

Anyone heard of the Port Wakefield ghost?? There was a segment on the radio a few years ago discussing it. They even got calls from callers who claim to have seen him. Basically he's appears in Air Force uniform at the back of you car and asks for you to take him somewhere. You turn around to see if he's still there and he's gone. As well as people have seen him walking along Port Wakefield Rd.

I’ll give this a bump so that I can tell you about the time my hubby and I possibly saw the Port Wakefield ghost.

It was about 9.00 am on a Sunday morning in spring quite a few years ago. We were driving out from Adelaide to Wallaroo on a day trip. I was in the passenger seat reading the morning paper and hubby was driving.

We were on a straight stretch of road somewhere near the Hummocks. There were no houses or farm buildings on either side of the road. The roadside verges were wide and flat with only dry grass or small, ankle high scrubby plants. As far as you could see were wire fences and fields. We were the only car to be seen in either direction.

I had my head down in the paper when hubby said something like “he’s not going to get a lift if he’s walking all the way over there”.

I looked up and about 50 metres in front of us, with his back to us, a man was walking along the fence line, which was several metres away from the edge of the road. There was nowhere nearby that he could have come from, or been heading to - no driveways, no side roads etc. We assumed he was hitchhiking but oddly he didn’t turn around at the sound of our car, and just kept walking.

As we got closer, I didn’t want to stare or catch his eye - we don’t pick up hikers and I felt a bit guilty at leaving him to trudge along in the quite warm weather, because he was wearing a heavy, long coat and he was nowhere near anywhere like a town or truck stop. His coat looked dark grey or dark blue to me.

As we drove past him I deliberately looked away. As soon as we went past, hubby looked in his mirror and said “where did he go?”.

I turned around and there was no sign of him. Unless he had immediately dropped flat to the ground, and even then I think I’d have seen him, there was nowhere for him to be. We spoke about him for a while and eventually forgot about him.

Then about 2 years later, someone on an overnight radio talk back mentioned the Port Wakefield ghost. Hubby was listening and woke me up to ask if I remembered our disappearing man. Yes, yes I did.

The story is that he was a young airman who was killed in training and was forever hitchhiking along Port Wakefiekd Road trying to get home to his mum.

I‘m pretty much a skeptic but I can’t explain our disappearing man. We’d never heard about this ghost story until years later. All very odd.

Last edited:
I've always been fascinated by the Old York Hospital. I borrowed an old book called 'WA Ghosts' or something like that when I was younger as I used to be really into all things paranormal. The athletics group that camped there in 1980 was apparently Rockingham Little Athletics and was one of the more intense hauntings that I've ever read, I guess by also having grown up in the 'ham it kind of made it more 'real' to me. Here's one account of it (not from the book though, which was alot more detailed).

A former matron (who worked at the hospital in the 1920s) said “There was always something terrifying about the upstairs rooms. The hospital staff refused to go up there alone, and even when the ward was full of patients, the nurses always made their rounds in pairs.”

The hospital is a large gray building surrounded by trees but wildlife seems to avoid the place, rarely coming close to the structure. In recent years, the building has been turned into a hostel and rented out. Many groups who have stayed in the old hospital now turned hostel have reported terrifying paranormal experiences.

In 1980, members of a children’s athletic club and their adult supervisors stayed for a week in the hostel. Late on the first night of their stay, sounds of moaning started to come from INSIDE the walls. The source was never found but repeated several nights in a row. The next morning, during breakfast, a large china jug levitated and smashed to the floor in front of two women.

Right after breakfast, two of the youngest children were attacked by unseen presence in the hallway. One of the girls started screaming “Hold me! Hold me! I can’t sit down! Stop them! STOP THEM!” She was then thrown against a glass paneled door at the end of the hall. The impact was so hard it totally shattered the thick glass, gashing her arm to the bone when she tried to protect her head with her hand. She was rushed to the hospital and stitched back together to stop the bleeding. The next day, a boy went into shock when he witnessed a partial human figure materialize out of thin air with its hand on the door knob of the now broken door.

The intensity of the haunting continued to escalate, usually in the afternoon. One of the supervisors was kicked in the back by an invisible force, doors would slam shut onto people, injuring the as they walked through doorways, invisible needles were felt to be injecting themselves into an adult woman’s flesh and the stench of rotting meat filled the building. By the end of the third day, both adults and children were sleeping in one room to protect themselves from their invisible attackers.

After that, the presence seemed to be focused in the downstairs area, near the stairway, in a room known as the Dying Room. The Dying Room had been bolted shut when the group arrived but had sense unlocked itself on the third day.

The caretaker of the building tried to downplay the group’s experiences but did admit that other groups who had rented the former hospital turned hostel had reported similar experiences and he had no explanation for how the Dying Room had unlocked itself. He did agree to provide a dog to help guard the group, but the dog refused to enter the structure. The group’s experiences were investigated by Miriam Howard-Wright, a local paranormal investigator who found the witnesses to be very credible.

The building was sold as recently as 2004 and is currently rumored to being renovated into a bed and breakfast'.

I went there a few years back (during the day!) and had a bit of a look around outside - trespassed while doing it I guess. Apparently its quietened down in recent years due to an exorcism or clearing that was carried out. Anyway though it might pique some interest.

These days I'm not sure what to believe about ghosts, poltergeists etc even despite having a few experiences - there's something out there going on but not so much 'tormented ghosts' as perhaps different vibrational planes of reality/consciousness/perception getting strangely entwined somehow.

One time I was staying at a mates place in Tassie which was about 160 years old. We were both sitting and chatting in his small lounge room. In the corner of the room there was as a small stack of cd's on top of the old telly, and they had and some more sitting on on a bookshelf against one of the side walls.

A disc flew off the pile on the tv across the room and smashed into the wall next to where I was sitting. Then about a minute later another one flew off the bookshelf across the room into the opposite wall. It was a split second that they travelled through the air and flashed right past my field of vision both times. The hit the wall with a fair bit of force and clattered onto the floor. We just kind of looked at each other, shrugged, and continued on as we don't really get spooked that easily.

Another one that comes to mind is that my young daughter (3 years old at time) kept on talking about 'the man' in one of our old houses, saying he is always telling her off etc.

My wife and her mum went and saw a 'psychic' lady for the fun of it around the same time - not related to 'the man' of anything. She was eerily accurate with alot of stuff, communicating with spirits of relatives and such according to the wife and mum. She asked my wife out of the blue 'well, I guess you also want to know about 'the man' your daughter is seeing in your house too?' despite my wife not having raised it, or even knowing the psychic prior to her appointment. The psychic explained a bit about how he got there by previous tenants and that he's confusing my daughter with his grand-daughter. She recommended my wife does a clearing with a bell and smudge stick saying 'go to the light' etc etc. So my wife went around the house doing it the next day with my daughter in tow - daughter didn't know what was going on being 3 years old, but at one point said to my wife 'mum, the man is telling you to stop pushing him'. But it apparently worked in the end and she stopped talking about him after the clearing.

So anyway I just had to see this psychic lady after all this transpired and hearing how good she was. It was the biggest load of sh*t and waste of $50 I've ever experienced, so yeah I just don't know what to believe.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back