Grand Slam Australian Open (Day 3)

Remove this Banner Ad

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Day 3 is here and we still have 8 round 1 single matches for the women to go. Plus some very very late tennis in the very early hours of day 3. They will still be catching up on Day 4 with the forecast below not looking great if they run late.

Melbourne Forecast.
Temp Max-31
Breezy; partly sunny, then becoming cloudy; gusty winds and dry weather. A Late change with Rain
80% of evening rain (4-15mm). To potentially hit around 5-7pm

Rod Laver Arena
Badosa v Kvitova (7)
Barty (1) v Hercog
Ito (WC) v Djokovic (2)

NIGHT
Zidansek v Williams (8)
Krajinovic v Federer (3)

Margaret Court Arena
Osaka (3) v Zheng
Wozniacki v Yastremska (23)
Paul v Dimitrov (18)

NIGHT
Thompson v Fognini (12)
Keys (10) v Rus

Melbourne Arena
Goerges v Martic (13)
Gauff v Cirstea
Tsitsipas (6) v Kohlschreiber(Kohlschreiber withdrew)
Raonic v Garín
Hurkacz (31) v Millman

The rest

This side of the draw is a bit bland. It will heat up but there are no must-see danger matches with the contenders. It will be interesting to see how some players go going back to back, especially for those who went to 5. Looking at you Fognini. Think the most interesting matches will be the 2 Aussies ones. here's hoping the crowd(NOT THE FANATICS) can lift them to big win against seeded opponents. Cilic v Paire perhaps the most interesting match tmw for the tennis/mental headcases.

there are 24 women singles matches tomorrow. We might also say goodbye to Wozniacki and CSN, who are both playing their last Aus Opens. A couple of interesting matches on Melbourne Arena but the main drawcard will be Wozniacki.

For the Aussies, we went 8-3 with Hon playing right now as I type this up. Several are backing up again today. tomorrow, we have the above 3 plus

Court 3
M. Polmans (WC) v D. Lajovic (24) (4th match) (2nd round match)

Court 8
Sharma v Kontaveit (28) (1st match) (1st round match)

Plus the Gooch is playing doubles. John Peers also starts his AO with the Kiwi, Michael Venus

My match of the day
Wozniacki v Yastremska (23)
Wozniacki is retiring straight after this AO. A former winner here. Yastremska is the next best thing, a huge hitter of the ball, a runner up in Adelaide and has the coach(Sascha) who took Osaka to 2 grand slams. Tipping Yastremska but hoping Wozniacki can stay in the points and make a game out of it as it could be an interesting clash of game styles. Also hoping Yastremska can keep the ball in the court. She is one of those...

Last edited:
Yastremska will either hit 100 unforced errors or 50 winners she's Muguruza times 1000. I'm with you Bobbi though on form tipping her but I will not be shocked either way here.

The better question is why on earth isn't this a RLA match!

Minidisc MD

Cancelled
Nov 29, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Imagine you get up early, get the 7am train to the city. you have a nice breakfast, you get into RLA. the women's world number 1 is playing, she's a decent and nice seeming girl who's Australian. Djokovic later. a very fun day out. you're with your girlfriend, she's packed some continental rolls. * yes. maybe finish up with a parmagiana and a few beers that night.

you're sitting down after the first match. Barty walks on. then you look over from your seats and see a bunch of absolute peanuts suddenly in Vegemenite t-shirts screaming and yelling and carrying on cozzz yeaaah aussie aussie aussie! absolutely shitful, these campaigners.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Would love for CSN to get a win over a top seed in her final Aussie Open!
Probably the biggest shock on the womens draw so far. CSN always seems to shock someone here. I still remember her big break when she beat Venus on RLA a long long time ago.

long live the 1 hand backhand

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Yastremska just got a bagel (in a way)

5-1 to 5-7. 6 straight games to Woz. This is why I am against coaching at grand slam level. if you can't work it out, then you don't deserve to win. shocking by any tennis player at this level to lose from 5-1 up and cruising. Shock horror, we have a toilet break from Yastremska now to ruin the momentum.

this is nuts, even for the WTA and Yas.

This is why I don’t rate her she’s just a slightly better version of Maddison Keys. Brainless ball bashing that always needs constant coaching on court.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back