Grand Slam Australian Open - Day 6

Which match are you most looking forward to?

• Tauson-Collins

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I posted this in the Australian of Summer thread but it is probably better being posted here.

I don't often post here but I love my Tennis.

Those who have played Tennis competitively, or have plenty to do with Tennis are probably more qualified than a casual observer (like myself) to answer this question.

This absolutely does my head in...

Why do players often take the ball at its highest point by going for an overhead slam, with a higher degree of difficulty, rather than waiting for a skied ball to bounce, and then smashing the ball for a winner? ADM had a chance to go up two break points but he missed an overhead slam by taking the ball at its highest point. It happens time and time again.

If you let the ball bounce, not only does the overhead slam become a lot easier, and is obviously a higher percentage play, but it allows you time to have a read on your opponent's court position, and it allows you time to compose yourself.

Right?? Obviously not, because 70% of the time a player elects to take the ball at its highest point.

I posted this in the Australian of Summer thread but it is probably better being posted here.

I don't often post here but I love my Tennis.

Those who have played Tennis competitively, or have plenty to do with Tennis are probably more qualified than a casual observer (like myself) to answer this question.

This absolutely does my head in...

Why do players often take the ball at its highest point by going for an overhead slam, with a higher degree of difficulty, rather than waiting for a skied ball to bounce, and then smashing the ball for a winner? ADM had a chance to go up two break points but he missed an overhead slam by taking the ball at its highest point. It happens time and time again.

If you let the ball bounce, not only does the overhead slam become a lot easier, and is obviously a higher percentage play, but it allows you time to have a read on your opponent's court position, and it allows you time to compose yourself.

Right?? Obviously not, because 70% of the time a player elects to take the ball at its highest point.
It's a few things:
1. Smashes are winners so often not because of the power/angle/whatever, but because they don't allow the opponent to get set. Letting it bounce lets you see where your opponent is, yes, but it also gives them a chance to get in better court position and then gamble on a direction, which makes a smash returnable if you guess right.
2. There's no guarantee how high the ball will bounce, so you could be turning down an overhead smash (often a clear winner) for a ground stroke which is less successful.
3. If you wait for the ball to bounce, often you need to stand in the middle of the court (often called no man's land because it's terrible positioning), which leaves you super vulnerable if the ball somehow comes back.

It's objectively a better shot that is more successful more consistently. For that reason they're practiced a huge amount, so they really shouldn't be missed that much - they aren't very risky, despite what you say. Often it's nerves/tightness if you do miss one rather than a risky shot.

I'd say sinner is also improved since their previous matches. Sinner the favourite.

Clear favourite for me. Sinner is the dark horse to win the thing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont think she was. It was a very close match, despite what the scoreline says. In saying that, Kasatkina did play well, just didn't take any chances.

Kasakina has been playing really well. If she got through this I’d have almost tipped her to reach the final. Been on a roll lately

Is there any young men players coming through for Australia who look like possible top ten players?
It's been a pretty boring sport (from a supporting sense) since Hewitt was at the top 20 years ago. Obviously Nadal, Federer and Novak have been great, but it would be nice to stay up late in Grand slams and actually give a sh*t.
De Minaur could certainly be there at stages of his career if he gets a couple of good draws at hardcourt majors/masters, Kokkinakis I find unlikely but could make top 20. The only guy I can think of with a chance coming through is Sekulic, his game impresses me but he's still a junior so anything could happen from here. I feel like if he was seen as a genuine top 10 chance we'd have heard a lot more about him because the cupboard is very bare. I don't see de Minaur or Kokkinakis as any chance to win a major.

Back