Ball has to travel 15m for a mark

Remove this Banner Ad

CQTiger

Club Legend
Mar 15, 2008
Central Qld
AFL Club
Richmond
The Port v Tigers game once againg showed the inconsistency in this rule. Some marks given went less than 10 m and others not given over 15m
It is not even an interpretation issue just how you estimate what 15m is which shouldn't be that hard. Do any of the umpires sessions look at this issue with practicing estimating 15m because it certainly needs addressing.
(BTW the decisions went both ways but some were more blatant then others)

Ball has to travel 15m for a mark

No s**t, it's in the rule book.......

Umpires will make a mistake in this area from time to time.

Get over it.

geez Borgsta what is the problem you are usually a bit more constructive in your comments its just a harmless thread highlighting the silly 8m marks that are awarded.

I was watching the replay of the hawks vs dees game, and before the ball had even touched the boot of a hawk player the ump had called "not 15 play on" how can the umpire know how far the ball is going to travel? foresight?

geez Borgsta what is the problem you are usually a bit more constructive in your comments its just a harmless thread highlighting the silly 8m marks that are awarded.

I guess you might call it frustration.

As an umpire, I can tell you it is quite difficult to judge metreage (if that's a word) when the ball goes sideways or diagonally as opposed to when the ball travels straight.

I was watching the replay of the hawks vs dees game, and before the ball had even touched the boot of a hawk player the ump had called "not 15 play on" how can the umpire know how far the ball is going to travel? foresight?

The play on was probably for the short kick that went to the hawks player but the call might have been a tad late?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back