Sports Basketball or Ice Hockey?

What is the better sport?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Basketball:

Leg cramps...?

04241660-751x1024.jpg

Ice hockey:

... I'll go with the gratuitous violence every day of the week.

Basketball. Not a huge fan of watching it but loved playing it, was fantastic. Will get back to it eventually.

Don't mind ice hockey but couldn't see myself following it season after season.

Basketball. Great sport to play, it is probably the only one I've ever been reasonably adept in.

To watch though, it's a different story. Sure the odd highlight is brilliant, but for the most part it's like watching ping pong. Back and forth, endlessly. Even if it is a close match, any excitement in the last minute is drained from repeated time-outs.

Ice Hockey has never interested me. Perhaps I'd appreciate it more living in the Northern hemisphere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hockey easily. Love the sport. I live in Canada though :p

I take a bit of an interest in the NBA but I find watching it pretty boring. Only really need to tune into the last 2 minutes where they have 5 timeouts trying to work out who will make the clutch shot in the end.

Much prefer hockey to watch, basketball to play.

Really got into the NBA and basketball the last 5 years. Love it. Australia is about to enter a golden era with the amount of players going to the NBA. Exciting times ahead.

Basketball is much simpler, like soccer. All you need is a ball and a hoop and 2 players is enough have a game.

Ice hockey looks amazing but you need to have all the kit and somewhere with ice in order to play it. Would love to give it a go one day.

Hockey easily. Love the sport. I live in Canada though :p

I take a bit of an interest in the NBA but I find watching it pretty boring. Only really need to tune into the last 2 minutes where they have 5 timeouts trying to work out who will make the clutch shot in the end.

Much prefer hockey to watch, basketball to play.

I don't care much for watching pro ice hockey on tv as it's hard to follow it but it's fun to watch live at a game when you're in the crowd like baseball.

I watched MLB live a few times in San Diego when the Padres were playing which was an awesome experience even when the game and the Padres sucked balls.

I never saw pro ice hockey live but the mate of a mate I stayed with in New York played amateur ice hockey and we went to watch him in their grand final, still had a decent crowd and we were front row right against the glass. This guy was a big unit, played second row rugby here and he skated in at the first puckdown or whatever it's called and took out some campaigner off the puck and it was on. He would have got about a 6 week suspension in the AFL for his hit these days but he only got a 5 minute timeout in the sin bin.

So good to watch it live, the skills weren't as slick as pro ice hockey but the hits were just as big with guys getting bodychecked into the glass, me and my mate played rugby and even we were gobsmacked at how tough it was. I'd love to play it myself but I can't ice skate for s**t.

Last edited:
The NHL playoffs are chaos; so much more unpredictable than the NBA. For that reason, I find ice hockey much more exciting to watch.

But I've never been ice skating in my life, and basketball is second only to football for sports I grew up playing.

Back