Sayings or phrases that just really piss you off.

Remove this Banner Ad

People pointlessly prefacing their sentences with "I mean"

It's actually meaningless

Everyone seems to be doing this lately. Just heard Charlie Curnow say it 3 times in a minute.

People not just saying it either, but they're also f**kin typing it. :D

Posted on various Big Footy boards today:
  • "I have my eight foot tree every year, i mean who’s touching the bloody tree anyway."
  • "I mean you'd hope so for a first pick, but he just looks effortless"
  • "I mean hey, it's not like we are gifted by the AFL"
  • "I mean they're not Carlton so probably not."
  • "I dunno exactly I mean the boys have just been playing really well"
  • "I mean I have coined a phrase for this"
  • "I mean he had parties in the USA to watch the Tigers play"
  • "I thought he was poor. I mean he's at every contest so he's going to get some of the ball but geez ,stop giving it to the opposition.

They're not saying "I mean" to clear something up, to tell people what they really meant in their previous sentence

They're just using it as a substitute for "ummmm"

Last edited:

Everyone seems to be doing this lately. Just heard Charlie Curnow say it 3 times in a minute.

• "I have my eight foot tree every year, i mean who’s touching the bloody tree anyway."
  • "I thought he was poor. I mean he's at every contest so he's going to get some of the ball but geez ,stop giving it to the opposition.

They're not saying "I mean" to clear something up, to tell people what they really meant in their previous sentence

It's a conversational filler that is used to emphasise a particular point. It looks a bit silly written down. If you watch the old British movies they would often say "I say" before stating an opinion they wanted to emphasise. "I say, the smog is bad this year."

Starting a sentence with "look" is another one. It often comes after some conversation has taken place and the person is attempting to draw a line under the discussion. eg "Look, I understand your concerns, but we have to let your whole team go."

It's a conversational filler that is used to emphasise a particular point. It looks a bit silly written down. If you watch the old British movies they would often say "I say" before stating an opinion they wanted to emphasise. "I say, the smog is bad this year."

Starting a sentence with "look" is another one. It often comes after some conversation has taken place and the person is attempting to draw a line under the discussion. eg "Look, I understand your concerns, but we have to let your whole team go."
No, it's not being used to emphasise a point or draw a line under the previous point like those examples you give. I can understand those, to a degree. "I say" with the pause straight after takes some effort. That's definitely used for emphasis (like saying: "Check this out.")

That isn't the case here. This is more like a connecting bridge between sentences to keep their rhythm going. Or if there was no prior sentence and it's a fresh point, it's a way of easing into their sentence proper, like a high jumper or a bowler in cricket doing a little hop before they commence their run-up

Example from above:

I have my eight foot Christmas tree every year. [pause] Who’s touching the bloody tree anyway?

I have my eight foot Christmas tree every year...I mean...who’s touching the bloody tree anyway?

There's no actual meaning to the words. Just noises camouflaged as real words to fill a gap.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Similarly, starting sentences with "to be honest"

So everything else you've told me hasn't been honest? and now you feel the need to specifically tell me that you are being honest?

Hate the “look” !
Feels so arrogant, like someone trying to put you in your place

No, it's not being used to emphasise a point or draw a line under the previous point like those examples you give. I can understand those, to a degree. "I say" with the pause straight after takes some effort. That's definitely used for emphasis (like saying: "Check this out.")

That isn't the case here. This is more like a connecting bridge between sentences to keep their rhythm going. Or if there was no prior sentence and it's a fresh point, it's a way of easing into their sentence proper, like a high jumper or a bowler in cricket doing a little hop before they commence their run-up

Example from above:

I have my eight foot Christmas tree every year. [pause] Who’s touching the bloody tree anyway?

I have my eight foot Christmas tree every year...I mean...who’s touching the bloody tree anyway?

There's no actual meaning to the words. Just noises camouflaged as real words to fill a gap.

Similarly, starting sentences with "to be honest"

So everything else you've told me hasn't been honest? and now you feel the need to specifically tell me that you are being honest?

A lot of those are what's termed as speech/vocal dis-fluency.

People using "So" to begin a sentence.
If you don't when to use "So", and where using it makes you look like a tool, just stop it.
Just stop it right now.

If you don't when to use "So", and where using it makes you look like a tool, just stop it.
Just stop it right now.
So you’re telling me I’m not doing this right ?
Guilty as charged ✋

The word aggregate just pisses me off when said. Hear it all the time in meetings and I don't understand how this word enters someone's verbal vocabulary. Just say combined, total, sound like a normal human please.

Similar with agricultural from commentators. Just say messy, rough, etc. Just screams trying to sound smart.

The word aggregate just pisses me off when said. Hear it all the time in meetings and I don't understand how this word enters someone's verbal vocabulary. Just say combined, total, sound like a normal human please.

Similar with agricultural from commentators. Just say messy, rough, etc. Just screams trying to sound smart.

The smart people are the ones who have a large vocabulary but can speak simply. It’s like a guitar player who can do anything but plays within themselves to be listenable.

Just stop it right now.
So I am really bad at this. Really, really bad.
So I do try and be aware of it and stop/correct myself.
Until I forget.

So it begins again.

So I am really bad at this. Really, really bad.
So I do try and be aware of it and stop/correct myself.
Until I forget.

So it begins again.
Good to see you’re trying to stop yourself.
Still annoying but.

I have a high up boss at work with a double bachelors and they still say some think
Somethink, most don't

There's a whole generation of millennials saying "like" at least 3-4 times every sentence.

We should be exterminating these people.

"I was like, going to head to the pub with like, Bob and a few other, then he goes we'll be like an hour late, and I'm like jesus bob, you could've like, let me know before I left the house."
That predates millennials. That was like a thing for like teen girls in the like 80s with like gen x and s**t.

"Can I borrow you?"

No, I'm not a ******* pencil sharpener.
1693220145338.jpeg
The smart people are the ones who have a large vocabulary but can speak simply. It’s like a guitar player who can do anything but plays within themselves to be listenable.
Persons of profuse pontification, rank alongside addicts of alliteration as the worst.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back