Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Taxpayer $600m up for grabs:
A decision that will shape the way Sydneysiders view sport for decades to come is set to be delivered in as little as six weeks. There is no official date for the review to be completed but it is understood the parties and the government want an announcement before the NSW election on March 28.

...claim there is a global trend towards building football grounds with a capacity of between 65,000 and 70,000, and cite as an example the home of the recent Super Bowl in the US, the $US455 million ($585 million) University of Phoenix Stadium – with a retractable roof and moveable stands – which opened in 2006.

Such a development at Allianz Stadium would complement last year's opening of a new $197.5 million northern stand at the adjacent SCG, which cost the NSW government $97.5 million, and the federal government and SCG Trust $50 million each. At the least, the trust is hoping for the funds to overhaul Allianz Stadium, Sydney's premier rectangular field since it was opened in 1988, including possibly an underground carpark.

If Stadium Australia Group gets its way, the privately owned ANZ Stadium would receive $250 million from the allocation, understood to be the first time it has received public money since the stadium was built. The grant, added to $100 million of the owner consortium's funds, would pay to build a retractable roof and make the northern and southern stands mobile, like the eastern and western stands, creating a rectangular-shaped arena. It may also build a new retail precinct in the surrounds.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/sydneys...bitter-fight-for-funding-20150214-13e2nq.html

http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/spor...a-league-in-2016/story-fnp0lyn3-1227211561696 SYDNEY’S UNHOLY ALLIANZ

SIX NRL clubs could be forced to play home games at Allianz Stadium if chief executive Dave Smith is successful in lobbying for a new 65,000-seat stadium at Moore Park.

To convince the government to fund the project, Smith has given a guarantee that it would become the new home of rugby league and be used in similar fashion to the AFL at the MCG and Etihad. Clubs forced to abandon their traditional old home grounds could include Manly, Cronulla, Wests Tigers, Souths and St George Illawarra who would join the Roosters as joint tenants. I texted Smith on Saturday for his comments on the situation but he did not reply.

http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/spor...a-league-in-2016/story-fnp0lyn3-1227211561696 SYDNEY’S UNHOLY ALLIANZ

SIX NRL clubs could be forced to play home games at Allianz Stadium if chief executive Dave Smith is successful in lobbying for a new 65,000-seat stadium at Moore Park.

To convince the government to fund the project, Smith has given a guarantee that it would become the new home of rugby league and be used in similar fashion to the AFL at the MCG and Etihad. Clubs forced to abandon their traditional old home grounds could include Manly, Cronulla, Wests Tigers, Souths and St George Illawarra who would join the Roosters as joint tenants. I texted Smith on Saturday for his comments on the situation but he did not reply.

65k seems a sweet number for the rectangular stadium, every seat close to the action.

didn't david smith come out and say the NRL needs smaller 35k seater stadiums the other day?
And that is why the guy is a moron. He changes his mind every 2 seconds.
The state government is not going to hand of millions for each of the suburban grounds any more. No government can afford it. Which is why we will end up with only a few stadiums being upgraded.

A TRIP to New York over Christmas to watch ice hockey’s Rangers at Madison Square Garden has Dave Smith convinced more NRL games need to be played in front of sellout crowds — at smaller stadiums.

On the day Smith announced a record $50 million profit for the game at the annual general meeting, the NRL boss also said a decision on future expansion would be decided by the end of this year.

But Smith put himself on a potential collision course with Shane Richardson, who joins League Central next week as the head of game strategy and development, over the debate of how to grow crowds.

160504-e3d2e1f6-be1c-11e4-8bae-72735f982660.jpg

NRL CEO Dave Smith during the NRL Business review 2014. pic Mark Evans

While the former South Sydney boss has been bullish in the past in his support for bigger stadiums like ANZ at Homebush, Smith gave a clear view on how he would like to see the state government spend $600 million on Sydney stadia upgrades.

“Ultimately what I want to do is have a great experience myself and make sure all the fans that pay their hard earned money have a great experience,” Smith said.

“And I think you do have a greater experience if you are in a packed stadium, whatever that size is, and there is lots of atmosphere.

“That is what we are planning for and that is what we hope the government plans for too.

“This is a once-in-a-generation decision for all of the great people who live in Sydney.”

There has been ongoing battle in Sydney footy over the future of suburban grounds like Brookvale and Leichhardt and the atmosphere they provide, versus the giant ANZ Stadium where so much rugby league is played these days.

NRL launches 2015 season
external

Smith has already spent $750,000 on a feasibility study for the Moore Park venue and it seems he thinks the future is somewhere between traditional and supersized stadiums.

But Smith’s view is in direct opposition to how Richardson has previously stated the best way to grow crowds. When ANZ was under attack at the start of last year after record low crowds, Richardson was outspoken when he hit back at criticism ANZ lacked soul and had too many empty seats.

“I don’t care about the crowd numbers. I care about the yield. Who cares about the look?” Richardson said. “What’s important is what you’re bringing through the gate. People want to highlight how many seats were empty. The whole mentality makes me puke.”

But Smith said what he and his family took home from New York was a wonderful memory.

Asked how he would advise the government to spend the $600 million, Smith was adamant atmosphere is everything.

160532-65c00720-be4a-11e4-83e4-6c2c60814a51.jpg

Henrik Samuelsson the Arizona Coyotes in his first NHL game against the New York Rangers at Madison Square Garden.

“There was 25,000 people, an amazing stadium,” Smith explained of Madison Square Garden.

“The entertainment was fantastic. There were more kids than you could shake a stick at. It was great. And it was a great thing to watch. I’d never watched ice hockey in my life and my kids loved it and I loved it.

“If we can recreate with a wonderful atmosphere that we have across our big events and indeed our 20,000 people events in that modern contemporary way, I think you will see crowds grow exponentially.

“This isn’t about stadiums, this is about infrastructure and it is a very, very big decision and I am very happy that we have got $600 million committed.”

Meanwhile, Smith said one of Richardson’s first jobs was to investigate the possibilities for expansion. Asked if he expected a decision to be ready by the end of the year, Smith said: “Absolutely, it is a key question and it feeds into broadcast rights.

“But more importantly it feeds into keeping the momentum and progress that we have seen across the game.”

the bloke has no idea, he is a former banker. who will be found out in the next few years

Smith is doing heaps for the NRL, didnt come up with so many inward looking club types, doing a better job than Gallop did & Gallop is doing a great job with soccer, way better than Buckley did.
I believe League will go from strength to strength under Smith.

Based on his comments on expansion & TV, it sounds like the NRL are headed west.

Smith is doing heaps for the NRL, didnt come up with so many inward looking club types, doing a better job than Gallop did & Gallop is doing a great job with soccer, way better than Buckley did.
Buckly setup most of what Gallop gets credit for in his last year on the job, dont get me wrong i have respect for Gallop, but it wasnt all him.

Smith is a dunce and the game needs better.

Based on his comments on expansion & TV, it sounds like the NRL are headed west.

Everyone is so pure and successful except the AFL...

I don't understand how you can rationalise it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It just makes zero sense. How on earth can they justify a 65,000 seat stadium.

I am not sure either. The SFS is a perfectly nice stadium for rectangular sports. It is reasonably close to the action for most seats and is way way more modern than a stadium like Subiaco or the old AAMI Stadium. I just don't see the point of a new stadium practically in the same location.

Not sure what they are going to do with the Parramatta stadium either. Will just the Eels and Wanderers play out of there or will all the Western Sydney NRL teams play there? If they will then why have they not been playing there for the past 10 years?

It just makes zero sense. How on earth can they justify a 65,000 seat stadium.

It does seem strange. Sydney sporting venues may be lacking in a few areas, but seats isn't one of them. How often is the SFS full (or even half full) in any given year? It wouldn't be full more than half a dozen times (if that), and i'd be surprised if there were more than 15 events that drew over 25,000.

It does seem strange. Sydney sporting venues may be lacking in a few areas, but seats isn't one of them. How often is the SFS full (or even half full) in any given year? It wouldn't be full more than half a dozen times (if that), and i'd be surprised if there were more than 15 events that drew over 25,000.

in case you missed it, no money for ANZ and $$$ for parramatta stadium. this requirs paying ANZ compo to buy it out.

in other words the new stadium will replace ANZ as the premier stadium, it will host origin, Union tests and NRL final, Probably soccer as well.

government takes control and flogs off the ANZ to developers, that land is worth s**t tons.

in case you missed it, no money for ANZ and $$$ for parramatta stadium. this requirs paying ANZ compo to buy it out.

in other words the new stadium will replace ANZ as the premier stadium, it will host origin, Union tests and NRL final, Probably soccer as well.

government takes control and flogs off the ANZ to developers, that land is worth s**t tons.

Heard criticism that Sydney will still lack a competitor to the MCG for major events (Buzz Rothfield on Melbourne radio).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back