Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Brant Colledge

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Jonathan Giles

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

May challenge - get through at least 2 brews, just not sure WHAT to brew - any suggestions? what's hot at the moment?

I have a good amount of specialty grains in stock and a solid mix of hops to choose from that need to be used up. My absolute favourite beers I've made so far have been my recent cloudy IPA (way over hopped) Little Creatures pale ale clone (with simcoe) and the black IPA (one of my very first brews) that had a good amount of crystal and munich but way over hopped. The strongest beer was the saison dark ale that was ungodly strong from the bottle and was also the prettiest, I would say that it was in the 9% region (I've decided to not drink while brewing from now on so I can actually record the OG :p )

20171011_210147.jpg

20170905_172913.jpg

20171014_232213.jpg

IMG_20180220_204749133.jpg

Caramalt - 1kg
Chocolate, roasted and carafa 3 - 500g each
Rye - 100g
Pale malt - 3kg's

Hops (about 15-20g each)
Mosaic
Galaxy
Simcoe
Citra
Riwaka
Pacific Jade

US-05 and some Belle Saison on hand as well

Yet to try a brown I enjoyed, definitely see a red ipa working though.

Pale malt, caramalt, little bit of rye and carafe 3 for colour. Bitter with pacific jade, finish with some Citra and riwaka.

Saison or us-05? I wouldn’t mind the higher attenuation from the saison like how bjcp mentions in the style guide.

Yet to try a brown I enjoyed, definitely see a red ipa working though.

Pale malt, caramalt, little bit of rye and carafe 3 for colour. Bitter with pacific jade, finish with some Citra and riwaka.

Saison or us-05? I wouldn’t mind the higher attenuation from the saison like how bjcp mentions in the style guide.

This is a good red ale grain bill. I used this and modified slightly to add 2% acid malt

New Recipe (Imperial IPA)
Original Gravity (OG): 1.073 (°P): 17.7
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (°P): 3.1
Alcohol (ABV): 7.95 %
Colour (SRM): 11.4 (EBC): 22.5
Bitterness (IBU): 28.8 (Tinseth)
61.86% American - Pale 2-Row
10.31% Dry Malt Extract - Light
10.31% German - CaraMunich III
6.19% Corn Sugar - Dextrose
5.15% Flaked Oats
4.12% Maltodextrin
2.06% American - Rye
1.3 g/L Simcoe (12.7% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil)
1 g/L Citra (11% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 30 Minutes
Fermented at 23°C with Belle Saison Yeast
Recipe Generated with Brewer's Friend

Decided on another cloudy IPA to start things off for the winter season, added some crystal med for extra colour and malt backbone and BH3 as part of a mini mash to kick up the ABV. 30 minute boil, 20g of leftover mosaic and simcoe to start with for around 30 IBU and then citra @5 and Riwaka in the whirlpool to finish it off.

I think I will call this one:

Resurrection Bay Brewing Co "Confusing Spice" Cloudy Belgian Rye-IIPA

Looks like this one has stalled out at 1.010 :/

IMG_20180512_135946847.jpg

That's the highest I've ever seen this yeast strain end with, could it be the rolled oats?

I'm leaving it for another week just in case but going through my logs they all hit ~1.005 and that seems pretty consistent with other people on various forums.

Looks like this one has stalled out at 1.010 :/

View attachment 496086

That's the highest I've ever seen this yeast strain end with, could it be the rolled oats?

I'm leaving it for another week just in case but going through my logs they all hit ~1.005 and that seems pretty consistent with other people on various forums.
5% oats
4% maltodextrin
10% DME

That’s a fair few unfermentables (maltodextrin hardly ferments at all and DME has maltodextrin in it so never ferments out fully).

I’d say it’ll maybe drop to around .08 over the next week or two but that’s about where it’ll stop.

Probably fine though - you need some body and sweetness to balance out the alcohol

Probably fine though - you need some body and sweetness to balance out the alcohol

Totally, I'm actually getting the feeling this will be a spicy red ale more than anything. I thought the 30 minute boil time would give me more aroma but I'm not getting much from my samples from the fermenter, I don't think I will use this yeast again for a while, might go with something more neutral and emphasise the hops more.

I'm going to leave this one on the yeast cake for another week before bottling, I think some of you mentioned I was bottling a little fast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Totally, I'm actually getting the feeling this will be a spicy red ale more than anything. I thought the 30 minute boil time would give me more aroma but I'm not getting much from my samples from the fermenter, I don't think I will use this yeast again for a while, might go with something more neutral and emphasise the hops more.

I'm going to leave this one on the yeast cake for another week before bottling, I think some of you mentioned I was bottling a little fast.
Yeah it can only help it as long as you’re not opening it up too often to take samples. I know a lot of people tend to leave their primary fermenters untouched for at least 2 weeks before taking a sample. I usually aim for 3 in primary, 3 in bottles.

I like building the anticipation - not quite Nic Nat late 2017 levels of anticipation, but close

Next brew will be a steam ale (lager yeast brewed at ale temps) just to mix things up, big fan of the mountain goat steam ale.

Mangrove Jacks M54 California Lager

90% Pale 2 Row
5% Carapils
5% Wheat

Hops
Will be using Fortnight for the first time, aiming for 25-30 IBU
I reckon MG steam ale is more like 10-15% wheat

This krausen won’t drop - been up for a couple of weeks at least. I read something online where someone was wondering if it was a wild yeast/bacteria pellicle underneath the goop on top, holding it up. Now I’m a teeny bit concerned even though I’m sure it’s fine (it’s just because I added frozen raspberries and don’t want it to be infected).

It’s fine, right?

5E281228-5CE5-4AC9-B4D1-0D47356A18C0.jpeg

London Ale III

This krausen won’t drop - been up for a couple of weeks at least. I read something online where someone was wondering if it was a wild yeast/bacteria pellicle underneath the goop on top, holding it up. Now I’m a teeny bit concerned even though I’m sure it’s fine (it’s just because I added frozen raspberries and don’t want it to be infected).

It’s fine, right?

View attachment 498208

London Ale III

Gravity? Taste?

Haven’t tested either. Trying not to oxygenate too much. I’m sure it’s fine, just wondering if anyone’s seen a sludgey krausen like this stick around for so long

Not that I recall. Do you have a tap on the fermenter to pull a sample? If it's fermented out considerably more than expected or tastes acetone/acidic/balsamic vinegar it might be set for the drain.

London 3 goes hard though, huge krausen. Maybe it'll drop out with a cold crash.

Not that I recall. Do you have a tap on the fermenter to pull a sample? If it's fermented out considerably more than expected or tastes acetone/acidic/balsamic vinegar it might be set for the drain.

London 3 goes hard though, huge krausen. Maybe it'll drop out with a cold crash.
Yeah I’ll warm it up for a few days (it’s pretty cold at room temp at the moment here) then cold crash and see if it drops. I reckon it will. Smells fine. Didn’t have any infection issues with these same raspberries in my belgian strong

I reckon MG steam ale is more like 10-15% wheat
Added in more as head retention for this one, I'm after something a little more basic than some of the other beers I've made but still with something unique.

The MG steam ale looks to be ale yeast at lager temps and I guess they mashed low to get the attenuation up but I like the basic grain bill and cascade/galaxy mix is always a winner.

Added in more as head retention for this one, I'm after something a little more basic than some of the other beers I've made but still with something unique.

The MG steam ale looks to be ale yeast at lager temps and I guess they mashed low to get the attenuation up but I like the basic grain bill and cascade/galaxy mix is always a winner.
Yeah I think I’ve read that it’s just fermented at 16 or something which was probably considered a bit different back when steam ale was first made but now is fairly common for American style ales.

I think ‘steam beer’ was originally lager fermented warm, so steam ale was a bit of a play on words and the reverse

Yeah I think I’ve read that it’s just fermented at 16 or something which was probably considered a bit different back when steam ale was first made but now is fairly common for American style ales.

I think ‘steam beer’ was originally lager fermented warm, so steam ale was a bit of a play on words and the reverse
Yep, very cool that mangrove jack has a yeast that is lager that is meant to ferment at ale temps, very excited to see how it turns out. I liked the look of some of the kolsch's on the market as well and this follows some of those grain bills but didn't want to use US-05 I had on hand, saving that for my next LC pale ale clone.

Goal for May is to have the Hazy Belgian IPA, California Common and Pale Ale either bottled on in FV's.

Also - the coopers stout I made a couple of months ago - :eek::thumbsu::thumbsu: got to love when the cheapest and easiest kit beers are so consistently awesome.

Back