Food, Drink & Dining Out Beer

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone who grew up in northern Tasmania weaned on Boags Draught found it very difficult when venturing out into the wider world, it was bad enough travelling to Hobart where you had to be careful to stipulate Boags lest they serve you that vile donkey piss labeled as 'Cascade' that they foist on the undiscerning public down there, but in days past you'd go to Queensland and you'd have to spend the first week deadening your taste buds with VB so you could eventually stomach that fearful XXXX concoction. Oh how I struggled.

I actually prefer Cascade to Boags but both are two of the better Australian produced beers.

My favourite beer is Super Bock which is Portuguese but hard to find outside Portugal.

Belgium produces some nice beers too like Leffe, Westmalle and Hoegaarden, that's the country to go if you're a real beer connoisseur rather than Germany.

Belgium produces some nice beers too like Leffe, Westmalle and Hoegaarden, that's the country to go if you're a real beer connoisseur rather than Germany.
Much prefer Belgian styles to German,
Saisons, Lambics, Flemish Reds and Quads against Berliner Weiss, not even a real challenge.

Go to a doctor, he'll recommend you a prescription of something to combat this sickness.

Take 5-30 of these per day and come back in a few weeks cured.
DMbeer%26stout00154d.jpg
This. Can drink it warm or cold, in summer or winter and for breakfast lunch or tea

The nice thing about beer is that it is one of the few cold drinks (alcoholic or otherwise) that is actually enjoyable once your tastebuds mature to the point where you dislike anything overly sugary-tasting. If I want a cold drink in summer it's either a G&T or a beer.

I really struggle when I'm DD and can't have a beer. I end up drinking something boring like tonic water, because pretty much everything else is too damn sweet.

Soda, lime, and bitters is what I drink when I'm out and not drinking.

I love having a couple of beers but I'm a massive ponce and am always aware of how many calories in a beer. I drink G&T at home. Massive fan of VB out of a tap and that's my go-to when out. Been drinking White Rabbit occasionally but I don't want to make drinking beer at home a thing as my dad has a massive beer belly and with his history and my Nan's, I'm probably genetically predisposed to alcoholism :p

Corona is definitely the gateway to beer for teenagers. Its drunk with lime because its tasteless without it.

Saisons, Lambics, Flemish Reds and Quads against Berliner Weiss, not even a real challenge.

Belgians take their beer seriously, they have the old trappist beers and every little town/province has their own beer.

In Bruges they have a great brewery tour where you get a free beer at the end of it.

http://www.halvemaan.be/

There is also a bar in Bruges which claims to serve the most varieties of beers in the world.

Their beer menu was as thick as the yellow pages, you'd have to spend a year there to drink them all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Corona is the beer that you drink when you dont like beer. Its basically just weak beer flavoured cordial.

Agreed. It's basically beer flavoured water.

A mate of mine couldn't drink anything but pre-mixed Smirnoff drinks (Yeah I know, major douche) but we eventually got him to try a Corona which he ended up drinking as it wasn't too bad. He drank Coronas for a while and then we got him onto the more generic beers (the ones that are actually beer) and now he'll drink most beers.

It's a good starter beer but is obviously rubbish to proper beer drinkers.

This. Can drink it warm or cold, in summer or winter and for breakfast lunch or tea
How to drink red cans:

Things needed- Goon bag, 2/3 cartons of red cans, a few friends.

Step one- Place red can cartons in a nice sunny spot.
Step two- Drink gooner.
Step three- Drink perfectly warm red cans.
Step four- Yarnin'.

To be fair you did pick Berliner Weiss, instead of any number of fantastic Bavarian styles.

I agree though, I pick up the odd Trapipst beer from Slow Beer, in fact have a Trappist Rochefort 10 which is about to jump into the fridge. Like the odd Lambic as well, but the acidity is not for everyone.
Piss of Plugger. There is no one country I would call the real destination for a "beer connoisseur".

The yanks have a brilliant 40+ year old craft brew scene. Japan whilst lacking the small independent breweries, actually has suprisingly good commercial brews. The general standard of beer in the south of Germany is fantastic. Belgium has some truly fantastic brews with almost unrivaled history and complexity.

I'd say Germany, Belgium, Great Britain are the three heavyweights with the USA coming. Not sure about Japan, the better half is from there and I've been there quite a bit (actually about to crack a can of Suntory Premium Malt) and think the adjunct lager is moreorless the same there as other countries. Every supermarket has a shitload of similar variations from Suntory, Sapporo, Asahi and Kirin. If you look hard, you can get some decent ale/stout from micros.

Had some VBs earlier, now Carlton Draught stubbies. Happy as a pig in s**t.

To be fair you did pick Berliner Weiss, instead of any number of fantastic Bavarian styles.

I agree though, I pick up the odd Trapipst beer from Slow Beer, in fact have a Trappist Rochefort 10 which is about to jump into the fridge. Like the odd Lambic as well, but the acidity is not for everyone.
Piss of Plugger. There is no one country I would call the real destination for a "beer connoisseur".

The yanks have a brilliant 40+ year old craft brew scene. Japan whilst lacking the small independent breweries, actually has suprisingly good commercial brews. The general standard of beer in the south of Germany is fantastic. Belgium has some truly fantastic brews with almost unrivaled history and complexity.

I spent a few weeks living in the Belgian heartland at a place called Peer where a mate of mine worked at the local Center Parcs which is why I'm so pro Belgie.

Peer is boring as hell but it has a great blues festival.:thumbsu:

http://www.brbf.be/

Remove this Banner Ad

Back