Being competitive in DT 2013?

Remove this Banner Ad

VSTone

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 17, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hi All,

I've been thinking about what factors will become the most important as the season unfolds.

What 3 or so factors are you considering as most important to get an edge over the rest in 2013?

factors of the like -
player durability
injury history
high score ceiling
scoring consistency
potential for score improvement
starting price
good value / underpriced
fixtures long and short term
bye rounds
team structure
positional flexibility
job security
vest likelihood
NAB cup form
captain selection
effective squad of (22, 26, or 30)?
other...?

these may change over the course of the season, but what are you focusing on now?
currently we are in squad selection phase and how far out are you looking?

nailing round 1 starting 22 and captain is my priority and identifying teams who may have potential for rookies to sneak into the starting 22 come round 1. my focus is quite short term, and trying to limit my exposure to under priced injured types.

Starting squad will be important, I think it could be beneficial to base apart of your team around the first 5 or so rounds.

Also durability...if you can minimize the amount of trades needed to cover injuries it will allow yourself to make sideways trades to benefit from fixtures etc.

They are probably my 3 main factors so far, initial squad, fixture and durability.

1. Ability to conserve trades
2. Ability to generate cash through good selection of cash cows
3. Minimal injuries...

Oh wait.... that was last year. OK... um.... selecting the best 22 for rnds 1-5 and then using all my trades every week to smash everyone based on who is playing who. Assuming everyone competitive gets all the good cash cows with free trades in rnds 1-4 x 8 + then using the same amount of cash to get all the top end premo's in rnds 5-10 with 2-3 bridge cash cows required... and then unlimited injury trades for cover... meaning.... dunno... a good R4 for bonus points in calamity rounds?

Prices rise after the third round correct?? (can never remember if its on the thir dor after the third)

So you have 6 (or 4 fuuuark??) trades to fix your initial team before the price changes

So i terefore initial player/rookie selections is a little (onyl a little) less important this year

In order of importance
1. Sideways trading - getting it right!!! If you trade wrong it can kill you and vice versa
2. Initial rookies - if you get them right you can sideways trade your premiums to get those about to burst the bubble early on, there are more premiums to choose form than rookies making rookies realistcally easier to choose, therefore you shouldnt be screwing it up, premiums are harder and you need your trades to fix that
3. Initial squad - yes we have a lot of trades but there will always be injuries, always be sub affected rookies, always be suspensions you don't want to have to trade out a player with an injury history (Waite etc) and miss out on downgrading to that Zorko type of player who is about to increase 90k
Everything else is eithe rpart of these three or less important than these three

1) Initial rookies - key to rapid improvement (factor in Rookie draw/fixture if you really want to screw with your mind!)
2) Map the best premiums in each area, work out who you will start with and how to get the rest.
3) nab cup form with relation to team for Rd 1 - some players traditionally start slowly

now over 250 looks and only 6 replies...leads me to the thought that most likely there are other possible scenarios people are playing as most important

strategy research, nbi, and secret squirrel mode.
of the replies short term focus seems the norm...

now over 250 looks and only 6 replies...leads me to the thought that most likely there are other possible scenarios people are playing as most important

strategy research, nbi, and secret squirrel mode.
of the replies short term focus seems the norm...

The making it up as I go along method?

Last year i got screwed by 3 things
1) injuries in defence
2) starting the wrong rookies
3) downgrading

2/3 of these should be solved this season. Right now I will focus on managing premiums, and maybe getting an extra premium in somewhere. I'll use the rookies as fillers, and worry about that during and after the nab cup. Also, I might take a risk and shove most rookies in defence to allow for more premium mids.

NEW IN 2013 - to better-reflect the actual competition, you'll score from your best 18 players only in any position, from your selected, on-field Starting 22. You'll still need to ensure that your best available players are in your starting 22 line-up.

NEW IN 2013 - to better-reflect the actual competition, you'll score from your best 18 players only in any position, from your selected, on-field Starting 22. You'll still need to ensure that your best available players are in your starting 22 line-up.

Is that just for byes or every round?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

so that means your ruck coverage will be useless in bye rounds

Even if you have 4 ruckmen playing that week only two will count

i have made 0 plans for the bye rounds so i'd love for my premium rucks to be playing but not scoring, but i doubt it :p

This is probably the only advantage with having DPP this year eg:i could move Cox to ruck if i think say Leuy isnt gonna score well or might be playing with injury for example and have a quality forward 7 come into my 6 and score for me.

You need to nail your round 1 team and get off to a good start. It is much easier to maintain a high ranking for the season, rather than playing catch up from the first round.

I find you need to start with a strong midfield, that way your number 1 scoring area is loaded and ready to go from the first bounce. The backline and forwardline don't score as well so you can fix them up as you go.

Oh and make sure you have Ablett as a captain right from the get go!

This is probably the only advantage with having DPP this year eg:i could move Cox to ruck if i think say Leuy isnt gonna score well or might be playing with injury for example and have a quality forward 7 come into my 6 and score for me.

yeah it seems DPP becomes relevant in the bye rounds when we are looking for the best 18 onfield

You need to nail your round 1 team and get off to a good start. It is much easier to maintain a high ranking for the season, rather than playing catch up from the first round.

I find you need to start with a strong midfield, that way your number 1 scoring area is loaded and ready to go from the first bounce. The backline and forwardline don't score as well so you can fix them up as you go.

Oh and make sure you have Ablett as a captain right from the get go!
i personally think its the other way around
certainly with the forward line --- in which there are maybe four or five rookies with chances of playing and their scoring will be small i can't see any of them even knocking out solid seventies, except maybe mayes or staker..

whereas in the midfield you have
mini draft developed players at cheap prices Crouch O Meara and maybe include Tom Mitchell here
manlet beasts pretty much guaranteed best 22 spots in their sides such as Wines Lonergan and Viney
mature rookies such as Goodes, K. Mitchell...

basically im going rookie heavy in the midfield because those players are by far the best and stocking up elsewhere where the rookies don't entice me

i personally think its the other way around
certainly with the forward line --- in which there are maybe four or five rookies with chances of playing and their scoring will be small i can't see any of them even knocking out solid seventies, except maybe mayes or staker..

whereas in the midfield you have
mini draft developed players at cheap prices Crouch O Meara and maybe include Tom Mitchell here
manlet beasts pretty much guaranteed best 22 spots in their sides such as Wines Lonergan and Viney
mature rookies such as Goodes, K. Mitchell...

basically im going rookie heavy in the midfield because those players are by far the best and stocking up elsewhere where the rookies don't entice me
The problem is if they are churning out averages of 80 a game and the premiums are avg 120. You are screwed. After 6-7 rounds you can be 1,000-2,000 points behind the 8 ball.

The year before last, I went the rookie midfield approach and it screwed me massively, I was about 50,000th after 3 rounds and never really recovered. Last year I went the premium approach and was in the top 20 after 3 rounds (finished about 700th overall).

But hey, maybe your right this year, we won't know until the end of the season

The problem is if they are churning out averages of 80 a game and the premiums are avg 120. You are screwed. After 6-7 rounds you can be 1,000-2,000 points behind the 8 ball.

The year before last, I went the rookie midfield approach and it screwed me massively, I was about 50,000th after 3 rounds and never really recovered. Last year I went the premium approach and was in the top 20 after 3 rounds (finished about 700th overall).

But hey, maybe your right this year, we won't know until the end of the season
Youve only got so much money.... you have to have rookies somewhere

It basically

FWD Premium + Midfield Rookie
vs
Midfield Semi Premium + FWD Rookie

I have no qualms about taking

Robinson and O'Meara OVER (Ziebell, Mundy, Judd etc) and Josh Simpson

Remove this Banner Ad

Back