Ben Cousins arrested

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Court day, wonder what he'll be looking like. Probably the longest stretch he has been "clean" for a long, long time.

Court day, wonder what he'll be looking like. Probably the longest stretch he has been "clean" for a long, long time.

That's assuming he wasn't able to get access to drugs in the slammer which from all accounts is pretty easy to do.

The question was what could have been done in 2005/6 or even earlier
This is a good question. Easy to put the blame on the Eagles, as they were his club, (they have admitted they could have done some things better) but partial blame must go on the AFL Players Association and the AFL for the drug testing regime that was (not) allowed at the time.
The club could have suspicions of a player being on drugs, but no power to test the player. They confront the player who swears that they haven't touched the stuff, where do you go from there?

They had concerns from 2002. A Chip Le Grand article from then highlighted the concerns over the association between Cousins, Gardiner and Kizon. On May 8th another article talked about the pair and their reluctance to talk about an incident in a nightclub. I note Cousins did not miss a game that year

They had concerns from 2002. A Chip Le Grand article from then highlighted the concerns over the association between Cousins, Gardiner and Kizon. On May 8th another article talked about the pair and their reluctance to talk about an incident in a nightclub. I note Cousins did not miss a game that year

So the Eagles should of sat cousins, Kerr and Gardiner out of the game based solely on who they were associating with and a suspicion of drug use.

I don't disagree that the club turned a blind eye - Judge got sacked because he dared to suggest there was a drug problem at the club but I'm just not sure other than trading them out what else they legally could of done. We also don't know what they did do - was there mediation, was there counselling. I don't think any of those mentioned would of given a flying * and would of just continued down the same path regardless. It would be interesting to see what would be done if the same situation was occurring now at some clubs.

I believe and I'm only repeating what I've read so I don't know if correct, that Libba may have had an issue and the club stood him down until such time as he addressed the problem - maybe this would of been the solution at the time. We will never know

Last edited:
Is this the black hole that will never be revealed to anyone? we all know it but it won't be said by anyone that anything untoward happened?

can any organisation go on like this where they won't admit that things were done wrong and will structure things that it will be righted?

or is it that everyone just 'knows' and the rest of it will just be consigned to the rubbish bin?

is it the black mark on a club that will be retiring it's history for the era of twenty years ago until now and starts again?

just throwing questions out there.

Any intervention by the Eagles management could have been met with legal action. They could not pull him from playing coz of suspicion of drug use even if it is a good idea.
Never failed a drug test.
They could have only taken this approach with Bens blessing which was never going to happen.
Sounds like the culture at the time was ordinary but there was little they could do other than read the riot act.
If Ben had asked the Eagles or Worsfold for help I am sure they would have done everything they could have.

A big issue with Ben Cousins is that he has always been Ben Cousins.Other more average people who take drugs become addicts and destroy their lives but he has always been better than average people.Even when he admitted that he was an addict he admitted to being a very high functioning drug addict not just a drug addict.So to him it wasn't a problem.

So the Eagles should of sat cousins, Kerr, Gardiner and chick out of the game based solely on who they were associating with and a suspicion of drug use.

I don't disagree that the club turned a blind eye - Judge got sacked because he dared to suggest there was a drug problem at the club but I'm just not sure other than trading them out what else they legally could of done. We also don't know what they did do - was there mediation, was there counselling. I don't think any of those mentioned would of given a flying **** and would of just continued down the same path regardless. It would be interesting to see what would be done if the same situation was occurring now at some clubs.

I believe and I'm only repeating what I've read so I don't know if correct, that Libba may have had an issue and the club stood him down until such time as he addressed the problem - maybe this would of been the solution at the time.

Gosh I was judging you pretty hard most of the way through that, and then bam. Well done for your honesty and sorting yourself out. The story of your family though, really makes me hope that Ben is made to stay well away from his kids. The mother I believe had some drug problems too, I assume since she has custody she got through rehab. I've never had anything at all to do with drugs, or addicts (as far as I know anyway) I can't imagine having it all at your feet, then throwing it all away and then having to pull yourself back up, it must be incredibly hard to look at that and get clean and work yourself back into the land of the living. The fact that Ben was so charismatic and famous has probably not helped him at all. Too many people want a piece of reflected fame. How the hell does he find someone who really cares enough, and he cares enough back, to climb out? His parents must be mentally destroyed by it. So much has happened, he has survived so much, that can't go on forever. Such a waste of life that so many would love to have. I've always been a Big Ben fan, but I just can't find any sympathy for him now. Hopefully he doesn't take anyone down with him. What's not good is anyone having the poor Ben thing belief. When all the yearly talk of Pants starts up, I never partake, I just think thank god he didn't kill anyone else. Celebrating him and the 'tragedy' of his death seems wrong to me, drink driving is never ok. And neither is stalking your ex, scaring your kids, and all the other s**t he's pulling, lock him up. Protecting others is so much more important now, how many chances should you get? Freedom is doing him no favours right now.
The mother had been using Cuz as a puppet for along time. Three weeks before she got him to get tickets for Springsteen concert, front row, were there together . She got a lot to answer to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And the club that he WAS playing for in 2002 had an even greater drug problem than the Eagles did !!!

Every club has their issues - unfortunately for the Eagles Cousins, Kerr and Gardiner made the front page regularly because of their actions.

And the club that he WAS playing for in 2002 had an even greater drug problem than the Eagles did !!!

This is just not true. WC has by far had the worst known drug culture of any AFL club.

Your presidents gotta be way up there.

Not in 2002
But from 2003 until 2007 - you are absolutely correct
Coincidence or what ???

C'mon guys. I get club loyalty and all but from what we know now about the culture at WC at the time, it is easily the worst.

What happened at WC during that time was just a mirror of the general population in Perth at the time.

I don't think this makes you a bad club, most clubs have issues of this type to deal with, but you suffered from a perfect storm of timing, availability, group dynamics and a general ignorance of the substances and the long term effects.

Not in 2002
But from 2003 until 2007 - you are absolutely correct
Coincidence or what ???

Seems supporters of the same club aren't even on the same page

Hey mate that's not Chicky, don't bring Chicky into this bullshit. Cuz was ****** before Chick even joined WC. Until you know the proper story about Chuck keep your opinion to yourself.

[QUOTE="bomberclifford, post: 49085254, member: 19630"
What happened at WC during that time was just a mirror of the general population in Perth at the time.
Do what your good at and stick to being clueless.[/QUOTE]

Lol. Not as clueless as you might think.

... also, "you're".

Every club has their issues - unfortunately for the Eagles Cousins, Kerr and Gardiner made the front page regularly because of their actions.
Personally believe that from the time Gardiner & Cousins joined the Club that that was when the culture of the Club started going south - had a lot to do with them mixing with the wrong end of town in my opinion. I also used to wonder who led who astray?? Had the two of them been drafted by other Clubs instead of the Eagles wonder if our Culture would have deteriorated in the way it did during that period? We will never know I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back