News Ben Cousins in the news again. 10 years on and it still continues. (2016 edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Feel sorry for Ben's dad but...

a) The players don't want to get caught at all and without a doubt pick and choose the timing of their recreational drug use to minimise getting caught. All testing systems in the world are geared to try and catch them out.

b) No matter what they say, the clubs would rather blissful ignorance than a headline every time one of idiots put something up their nose, so a behind the scenes 1st strike and soft penalty is likely ideal.

c) The league would also prefer a level of anonymity if it reduces the prevalence of negative press and casts the product in a better light than 'Player X from Big Club has 1st Strike!' every few weeks.

Feel sorry for Ben's dad but...

a) The players don't want to get caught at all and without a doubt pick and choose the timing of their recreational drug use to minimise getting caught. All testing systems in the world are geared to try and catch them out.

b) No matter what they say, the clubs would rather blissful ignorance than a headline every time one of idiots put something up their nose, so a behind the scenes 1st strike and soft penalty is likely ideal.

c) The league would also prefer a level of anonymity if it reduces the prevalence of negative press and casts the product in a better light than 'Player X from Big Club has 1st Strike!' every few weeks.

If there were articles for every 1st strike, it may be a couple of weeks to start with but I very much doubt that it would continue. People aren't stupid. Just like if a club hired a Dank like character and asked players to do a repeat of the Essendon saga, the players would adjust and say no way. Maybe there would be some shenanigans during the off season or with long term injured players, but players playing every week would not jeopordise that if there were news articles every few weeks naming and shaming.

Not saying it's a good policy, I actually don't think it would be good. But I think it would change players behaviour quite quickly.

He pretty much said in his Doco that he doesn't have a problem with drugs and will never give it up. Sad.
Also, the last place you want to be if you want to stay clean is in goal.
Yep.. was hopeful, but it seems like he has no hope.

What do ben cousins and goals have in common
Both need a kick to exist
Gladiator_Thumb_Down_01.gif

It's just sad. I feel an affinity with Cousins as we were born a day apart and he debuted just as I was getting into being an Eagles fan. My life will never hit the heights of his but I'm at peace with where I am and I fear he'll never get to that point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back