mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
Well after today it’s clear Mayne, Aish, Wills, WHE, Brown and Noble aren’t up to standard if we’re to win a premiership. Mihocek was astoundingly poor as well but I will give him the benifit of the doubt that he’ll get back to his best becuase he’s usually consistent. Brown and Noble also can still improve but atm they’re not good enough. Reid also should retire I didn’t think he was too bad today, provided a contest took a couple good marks and should have scored another goal but we just can’t carry too many players that aren’t available for half the season.

With that in mind here’s what I think our best 22 should look like.

B: Tom Langdon ~ Jordan Roughead ~ Brayden Maynard
HB: Jeremy Howe ~ Darcy Moore ~ Jack Crisp

M: Adam Treloar ~ Taylor Adams ~ Tom Phillips
R: Brodie Grundy ~ Scott Pendlebury ~ Jordan De Goey

HF: Steele Sidebottom ~ Brodie Mihocek ~ Josh Thomas
F: Jamie Elliott ~ ??? ~ Jayden Stephenson

I/C: Dayne Beams ~ Isaac Quaynor ~ ??? ~ ???

The three question marks are for an AFL standard key forward, full forward outside mid and small forward.

Baird

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 3, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
langers rough crisp
maynard moore howe
phillips adams sidebottom
stephenson mihocek brown
elliott cox de goey
grundy treloar pendles
Aish

Cox is divisive but the coaches are always gonna play him.

Other 3 spots up for grabs. Thomas is probably one of them but he was ordinary most of the year. Hoskin-Elliott was so far of it this year. Mayne looks done. Greenwood will be injured. Sier and Daicos don't look like players. Who knows

Excited about murphy and tyler brown, am hoping they can establish spots in the team.

Oct 28, 2006
MT OLYMPUS
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Olympiakos, McLaren
All I know is Brody Grundy need to be given a 7 year deal, elliot needs to be re-signed immediately, as do Moore and degoey (must get healing hans to also mentor our medical dept).....

Langdon back helps immensely, and Brayden Sier needs to discover, maintain and improve on last years form to help out aging midfield - wills has been serviceable but he lacks skill and doesn’t have the bullet like handball or booming kick of Sier, nor it seems the pace.

Our midfield needs some genuine spark. Pendles is still good as is Steele, but both should be taking a back seat to a new generation of mids that can carry us forward over the next few years.

Out biggest need, IMO, is a strong, big bodied, goal kicking and marking forward. What do we need to give up to get Cameron or king to the club? Bruce would be good also, but I’m greedy and want the best.

This year we need to be hawthorn like and give up something big to get something great. I’d also be looking at bringing in Eddie betts if we can manage to snag a big forward - if he comes for nothing more than a late pick and reasonable salary.

We still have a great list to contend with but we need a few serious pieces and some new blood injected into the place. Some real hard and skillful footballers would greatly be appreciated.

I just hope we as a club have the courage to make the moves that will allow us to bring in the final pieces that we seem to be lacking.

Would love to raid a few more players from gws.

I also think, as I said at the time, beams was totally unnecessary both in terms of output and definitely in terms of draft price.

Shaneprice97

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 24, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL
Hes a re-occuring name on this board but I look at Josh Bruce as someone whos performed relatively well at a bottom 8 club and wonder what he could offer to a side like Collingwood.

3 recent seasons of 36-38 goals in a side that doesn’t really have the highest i/50 count or best skills going i/50, perhaps he could provide a stronger side 45-50 goals.

partypie

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 26, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Green Bay Packers
I'd be looking to shift out Thomas instead of WHE, who provides more of a point of difference aerially and with his leg speed - used properly he fills the role of the third "tall forward" pretty well but he needs room to operate in.

With Elliott back we now have too many mouths to feed in the small crumbling forward department, which I feel is one of the reasons our scoring has slowed this year compared to last, as they just get in each other's way a lot of the time.

Our back line pretty much picks itself, but we really need the solid prospects we have on the other lines to start pushing through.

Might be a bit much to expect DeGoey to play on ball for the whole game but he might work in the guts switching with Steele when he needs a rest.

My pre-trade/draft period best 22 for 2020:

FB: Maynard, Roughead, Langdon
HB: Crisp, Moore, Howe
C: Treloar, DeGoey, Phillips
HF: Stephenson, Mihocek, Sidebottom
F: Elliott, Cox, WHE
R: Grundy, Pendlebury, Adams
INT: Beams, Mayne, Quaynor, Sier
E: (from) Aish, C. Brown, Daicos, Murphy, Noble, Scharenberg, Thomas, Varcoe, Wills

Debutants: Keane, T. Brown, Wilson

The forward line could rotate who is coming out of the goal square and who is pushing further up the ground based on matchups and who is looking more dangerous at the time.

Last edited:

Johno9911

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
From tonight's side...

Quaynor in for Noble.
Cox in for Reid.
Tyler Brown in for Callum Brown.
DeGoey in for Wills.
Langdon in for Aish
Beams in for Josh Thomas

Something like that. Just not sure where Scharenberg fits.

Use Shaz on wing and rotate Sidebottom through the forward line more?

LuckyLee

Premiership Player
Mar 23, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Retire/delist - Wells Goldsack Reid Varcoe Beams Dunn Broomhead Appleby Murray

Mostly VFL in 2020 - Mayne Wills C.Brown Noble Aish Phillips Daicos Greenwood Crocker

Returning/stepping-up in 2020 - DeGoey Langdon Sier Cox Scharenberg Quaynor Murphy T.Brown

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Well after today it’s clear Mayne, Aish, Wills, WHE, Brown and Noble aren’t up to standard if we’re to win a premiership. Mihocek was astoundingly poor as well but I will give him the benifit of the doubt that he’ll get back to his best becuase he’s usually consistent. Brown and Noble also can still improve but atm they’re not good enough. Reid also should retire I didn’t think he was too bad today, provided a contest took a couple good marks and should have scored another goal but we just can’t carry too many players that aren’t available for half the season.

The three question marks are for an AFL standard key forward, full forward outside mid and small forward.

When we lose, it's usually the result of being out muscled in the midfield. I'd like to see Treloar, Pendles, Beams and Sidey on the wings and flanks. They'd still do the linking work which they are elite at, but wouldn't be exposed for a lack of power and aggression. Big preseasons for JDG and Maynard in the hope they can slot into the midfield and significantly increase our strength. Plus try to bring in a B grade inside mid on the cheap.

We're not sorting out KPF in a hurry, unless we're willing to rob the defence of Darcy. So we'll just have to fill that with a role player.

We're close - just not as physically strong around the ball as you'd like.

Fingers crossed that we get some strong development from the likes of Quaynor, Brown*2, Noble, Murphy and the non AFL background kids.

I'd look to trade WHE - depending on price.

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
When Beams was on the park, Collingwood really under utilised it’s strength of having two power forward-mids in De Goey and Beams and they should have rotated roles more often. If Beams returns, I reckon as a fourth to fifth string forward, he could definitely get 30+ goals plus occasionally run through midfield.

wicksy

Cancelled
Feb 23, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Clippers, Daniel Ricciardo Racing
When Beams was on the park, Collingwood really under utilised it’s strength of having two power forward-mids in De Goey and Beams and they should have rotated roles more often. If Beams returns, I reckon as a fourth to fifth string forward, he could definitely get 30+ goals plus occasionally run through midfield.

I have huge doubts on Beams ever playing again to be honest.

LuckyLee

Premiership Player
Mar 23, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
It sucks having no decent draft picks. The Aish Murray and (especially) Beams trades have really screwed us.

We have very little trade currency. Apart from Grundy DeGoey Moore and Stephenson and maybe Crisp we don’t have a player that we could trade for a top 10 pick. Most on our list have something (age, injury-prone, ball-butcher) that knocks down their value.

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
When we lose, it's usually the result of being out muscled in the midfield. I'd like to see Treloar, Pendles, Beams and Sidey on the wings and flanks. They'd still do the linking work which they are elite at, but wouldn't be exposed for a lack of power and aggression. Big preseasons for JDG and Maynard in the hope they can slot into the midfield and significantly increase our strength. Plus try to bring in a B grade inside mid on the cheap.

We're not sorting out KPF in a hurry, unless we're willing to rob the defence of Darcy. So we'll just have to fill that with a role player.

We're close - just not as physically strong around the ball as you'd like.

Fingers crossed that we get some strong development from the likes of Quaynor, Brown*2, Noble, Murphy and the non AFL background kids.

I'd look to trade WHE - depending on price.
I like that thinking. I’d go with this based on that and making Josh Bruce the highest priority target.

B: Tom Langdon ~ Jordan Roughead ~ Isaac Quaynor

M: Adam Treloar ~ Taylor Adams ~ Scott Pendlebury
R: Brodie Grundy ~ Brayden Maynard ~ Jordan De Goey

HF: Steele Sidebottom ~ Mason Cox ~ Brodie Mihocek
F: Jamie Elliott ~ Josh Bruce ~ Jayden Stepheson

I/C: Tom Phillips ~ Josh Thomas ~ John Noble ~ Dayne Beams

Hopefully Treloar regains some toe in the off-season, as we need more pace in the midfield. Best 22s don't look as good when we are all thinking of how terrible their last games were, but our list is in very good shape, we just need the players to get into very good shape and have a relatively good run with injuries. Adams, Moore, Elliot, Langdon, Cox, Howe, Beams, DeGoey and Sier are all guys that could have great 2020s if their bodies hold up.

Brown, Thomas, WHE in the same forward line has proven to be too weak in these big games. We need a more aggressive Zurhaar type forward in the mix with DeGoey, Stephenson, Elliot, Cox and Mihocek. In reality Brown, WHE and Thomas should be fighting for their spots over preseason, but I just don't see the depth of mid-fwd options to put them under the pump, especially if Varcoe departs.

Langdon, Roughead, Maynard
Crisp, Moore, Howe
Phillips, Pendles, Stephenson
Sidebottom, Mihocek, DeGoey
Elliot, Cox, WHE
Grundy, Adams, Treloar
Beams, Sier, Quaynor, Thomas

That is an excellent team with great balance, if we get anything like that in September next year, we are going to be contenders. That's the key, having most of our best players fit in September. The number one priority is DeGoey. He needs to have a massive off-season and be our best player this time next year, mostly because he has shown he can step up in the high pressure close games when a lot of our other guns have not.

NeverWobble

Cancelled
Mar 24, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Too soon for this after today but what the heck.
Would like to consider some different looks before I hit the trade thread.:)

Team 1
F: Elliott / Cox / Thomas
HF: Sidebottom / Mihocek / Stephenson
C: Crisp / Pendlebury / Hoskin-Elliott
HB: Maynard / Moore / Howe
B: Langdon / Roughead / Murphy
R: Grundy / De Goey / Adams
I/C: Treloar / Beams / Phillips / Quaynor

Will get belted for leaving Mayne out.
Quaynor and Murphy hopefuls.
Would like a different look on the wings with some marking ability and pace.
Pendles, Sidey, Crisp, De Goey, Adams, Beams taking the inside mid roles. Not convinced on Treloar at centre bounces, grabs his man more than the ball there.
With Darcy looking more and more like his old man would like the flexibility to move him around if needed.

Last edited:

regpies

Premiership Player
Sep 19, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
You need at least 1 quality tall forward to win a flag. We don’t have one.

The forwards from tonight like WHE, Brown, Mihocek have taken a lot of blame, they deserve it. But the ball was never really up their end of the ground much.

Doesn’t excuse their effort but they never had much of chance. Which is the difference between an ok player and a star. Cameron kicks 2 goals from 50m near the boundary. We don’t have that.

De Goey needs to be 70% midfield. He’s our only true clearance bull.

I like that thinking. I’d go with this based on that and making Josh Bruce the highest priority target.

B: Tom Langdon ~ Jordan Roughead ~ Isaac Quaynor

M: Adam Treloar ~ Taylor Adams ~ Scott Pendlebury
R: Brodie Grundy ~ Brayden Maynard ~ Jordan De Goey

HF: Steele Sidebottom ~ Mason Cox ~ Brodie Mihocek
F: Jamie Elliott ~ Josh Bruce ~ Jayden Stepheson

I/C: Tom Phillips ~ Josh Thomas ~ John Noble ~ Dayne Beams
What would Bruce cost? WHE +3rd rounder? I'd do that.

You need at least 1 quality tall forward to win a flag. We don’t have one.

The forwards from tonight like WHE, Brown, Mihocek have taken a lot of blame, they deserve it. But the ball was never really up their end of the ground much.

Doesn’t excuse their effort but they never had much of chance.

Allowing Haynes to roam free, outnumber and dominate for 3 quarters was the real killer.

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
Truthfully we need not only one but two key forwards unless Mason Cox can become reasonably consistent. We are wasting Mihocek's creativity by playing him as the #2 or in some cases as our #1 key forward - he needs to be able to roam the flanks and pockets and provide run and support. He's a gun forward with so many tricks and skills but he is not a key position player at this level. He should be playing Hoskin-Elliott's role and he would do that far better than Will has.

Our forward line needs an urgent overhaul. It was amazing in 2018 when they all peaked together and nobody really knew how to quell them all at once and it nearly took us all the way, but now opposition sides have worked out WHE, Thomas and even De Goey as a lead-up option as well. Sanderson can really only hang his hat on the form those small forwards showed in the first half of 2018. The rest of his time at the club he has led the most dysfunctional forward line going around. He is one of many ill-equipped people in a coaching or leadership capacity at the club.

The front six is full of terrible front runners who only perform well when the service is golden - Hoskin-Elliott, Thomas, Brown and Varcoe and often Elliott are nigh on useless when things aren't going our way in the middle. The best teams don't have front running forwards, they have forwards who work the ball into positions where they can hit the scoreboard. De Goey is our best forward but he's needed in midfield now, so our forward line besides Stephenson, Elliott (who might not even be here) and an overloaded Mihocek looks terrible for 2020. Furthermore, we have zero forward depth hence why Crocker played a handful of games. Varcoe is the only somewhat AFL standard forward we have that didn't play tonight and he won't even be on our list next year.

If Josh Bruce moves clubs and Collingwood isn't his new home, I'll be livid. He is exactly what we need and his versatility and good tank highly suits our high control game plan.

It would be unreal if we could switch Hoskin-Elliott for Finlayson. Finlayson is a much more imposing figure who backs himself in contests. Wish we had a look at him last year, and I hope we have another look again.

PIEWITHSAUCE

Premiership Player
Sep 29, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I agree with a lot of the above but I think some on here are being a bit tough on Noble. Yeah he was a bit panicky but the kid hasn't even had a full AFL season/pre-season and he's expected to hold up under AFL finals pressure. I think he shows a lot of signs to suggest that he will mature into a very useful player with more experience.

LuckyLee

Premiership Player
Mar 23, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
There’s upheaval going on in Adelaide. If Grundy wants to go there then I reckon we push hard to trade him for Taylor Walker (who just quit as captain) and their first rounder. Play Cox in the ruck.

And throw Josh Jenkins a life line. Would come cheap and his best footy is way better than what he has recently shown.

A fresh start could make all the difference to Walker and Jenkins.

I’d also be looking at bringing in Eddie betts if we can manage to snag a big forward - if he comes for nothing more than a late pick and reasonable salary.
I was keen on Betts too until I heard he's has one year of a contract remaining that carries significant coin (700K). Carlton are a position were they can cover that, so it's unlikely Betts would tear up that year.

partypie

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 26, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Green Bay Packers
There’s upheaval going on in Adelaide. If Grundy wants to go there then I reckon we push hard to trade him for Taylor Walker (who just quit as captain) and their first rounder. Play Cox in the ruck.

And throw Josh Jenkins a life line. Would come cheap and his best footy is way better than what he has recently shown.

A fresh start could make all the difference to Walker and Jenkins.

A gun ruckman for a declining 30 year old forward with maybe one or two semi-decent years left in him and pick 3 which wouldn't get us Anderson or Rowell?

Sounds like a *really* good deal for Adelaide. Then there's the fact that we no longer have a #1 ruckman of AFL standard on the list.

HeadInTheSand

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2019
Atop the pedestal
AFL Club
Collingwood

It doesn't matter what the best 22 may look like on paper, because the Physiotherapists will make sure they aren't available.

Back