Best 22 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Mt Isa Mustang

Club Legend
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Yes, before even the 2020 B+F has been announced I'm thinking about next year.

Assuming we get Atkins + Broad + pick 5 + Davies + Jeffries in the draft.
This is my round 1 team

Seniors

Budarick Collins Broad
Lukosius Ballard Powell
Ellis Rowell Weller
Ainsworth Wright Anderson
Sexton King Rankine

Witts Greenwood Miller

Swallow Bowes Atkins Flanders

Reserves

Mclennan Graham Hombsch
Jeffries Burgess Joyce
Riordan Miles Sharp
Lemmens Day Corbett
Rosas Conroy Farrar

Smith Brodie Fiorini

DMac Murtagh Pick 5 Davies

Jen2310

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 21, 2018
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Suns, Melb Stars
I reckon 2MP stays. Brodie goes, Fiorini 50/50
Its funny, with fiorini.. at the start of the year, people wanted to get him resigned asap rather than wait. Now he can't even get a game.. makes you wonder, whether that was such a good idea after all.
Who would take on his 3 year contract?

Supersuns

KFC Enthusiast
Mar 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Roys FFC
Its funny, with fiorini.. at the start of the year, people wanted to get him resigned asap rather than wait. Now he can't even get a game.. makes you wonder, whether that was such a good idea after all.
Who would take on his 3 year contract?
He can find plenty of the ball but he really struggles on transition and to generate scoring opportunities with his ball use. The league is really turning towards scoring from turnovers as the greatest and easiest way to score and you just can't carry slow players either way. It's all about quick decisive ball movement with pace. Brayden finds lots of the ball but he isnt a quick decision maker so he finds the easy side ways kick or just pumps it long down the line. It doesn't work in this day and age and definitely not in the style we are trying to play. Maybe someone like Adelaide could use him but they already have Matt Crouch who is just a better version of him.
Im not sure where his position is anymore

kreglze

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Yeah, trying to re-sign everyone up as fast as possible, may have been a mistake. I think there needs to be a more nuanced approach than sign up everyone for as long as possible.

Jen2310

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 21, 2018
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Suns, Melb Stars
Yeah, trying to re-sign everyone up as fast as possible, may have been a mistake. I think there needs to be a more nuanced approach than sign up everyone for as long as possible.
if it didn't happen early, they would have had to wait as the AFL freezed contracts not long after that, and there may have been a different view once the unfreeze was lifted.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
Suspended
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
I rather develop Graham then get Carlisle , with reserve playing VFL , no point keep delisting players every 2 years and Carlisle type aged .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mt Isa Mustang

Club Legend
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I reckon Graham has shown a bit. He's still very young.
Who was the last key defender (who plays on 1st or 2nd forward - not a 3rd tall) that was getting regular games from age 20?

Weitering, Andrews and Sam Taylor the only recent ones I can think of.

Ben Mckay and BZT just started getting regular games this year - 22 years old
Darcy Moore didn't go back until he was 23-24 at least
Alex Pearce was 24 (injuries)

The VFL reserves next year will still help with development. I wouldn't mind another year in the 2's for Graham with a few games here and there as required.

Mt Isa Mustang

Club Legend
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
With what you have at the moment, could this work?

View attachment 977948

View attachment 977949
In a word, No.

Ben Ainsworth finished top 10 in the B+F and is clearly in the best 22
Harbrow had probably the worst on field year that I can recall. Budarick is way better than him already.

Think the coaches have made it clear we're not playing Wright, Day and Witts together either.

Seems Atkins is a certainty to come to the club and will play in the top team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Top Bottom