Best Band You Have Seen Live

Remove this Banner Ad

Favourite 10 in no particular order include:

Meshuggah, Devin Townsend Project, Chaos Divine, Mono, Anathema (acoustic), Iron Maiden, Metallica, Tool, Gojira & Soundgarden

Have seen all of these and can concur, I think Maiden is the best of that lot. Metallica is my favourite band and seen them 7 times, I mean their gigs are a lot of fun but they're not as great musicians as some of the others.

Meshuggah is an intense gig, music with bad intentions!

Have seen all of these and can concur, I think Maiden is the best of that lot. Metallica is my favourite band and seen them 7 times, I mean their gigs are a lot of fun but they're not as great musicians as some of the others.

Meshuggah is an intense gig, music with bad intentions!
Yeah spot on with regards to Meshuggah! I actually thought that during Meshuggah, i was on the verge of legitimately going insane. The light show is just ridiculously captivating and the music is so heavy and rhythmically complex. It is one hell of a combination! It was a Meshuggah/Lamb of God dual headline show and both were brilliant but before that gig (in 2013 i think it was) and since i am yet to experience another set quite like Meshuggah's.

Metallica were great but i have to agree that Iron Maiden were a class above. Mono are touring here again in early March and they were brilliant last time i saw them. They are a post-rock band from Japan and for a band that did not interact with the audience at all, they were absolutely amazing. They just let their music do the talking and the atmosphere was incredible. I definitely cant wait to see them again. Gojira ive seen 3 times now and they were great and Soundgarden i saw twice. Just a very tight band and Chris Cornell was incredibly engaging and talented. Last one to mention is Tool. Really enjoyable set from them.

Yeah spot on with regards to Meshuggah! I actually thought that during Meshuggah, i was on the verge of legitimately going insane. The light show is just ridiculously captivating and the music is so heavy and rhythmically complex. It is one hell of a combination! It was a Meshuggah/Lamb of God dual headline show and both were brilliant but before that gig (in 2013 i think it was) and since i am yet to experience another set quite like Meshuggah's.

Metallica were great but i have to agree that Iron Maiden were a class above. Mono are touring here again in early March and they were brilliant last time i saw them. They are a post-rock band from Japan and for a band that did not interact with the audience at all, they were absolutely amazing. They just let their music do the talking and the atmosphere was incredible. I definitely cant wait to see them again. Gojira ive seen 3 times now and they were great and Soundgarden i saw twice. Just a very tight band and Chris Cornell was incredibly engaging and talented. Last one to mention is Tool. Really enjoyable set from them.

I've got no idea how Meshuggah remember their songs, the rhythms are insane. I saw them at their own show in maybe 2010 and on that 2013 tour at Soundwave, good times.

I've seen Gojira three times too I think, only once at their own show, holy s**t they were epic, a band at their peak. And Tool's show just before COVID hit was the best I've seen from them I reckon, unbelievable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still Pearl Jam, for mine, could be any one of their gigs but I'll nominate Nijmegen in the Netherlands cause it had the travel factor and they played Keep on Rockin' in the Free World, which they don' always do and it's one of my fave covers of theirs. Saw Prodigy at a festival, not a favourite band of mine, enjoy the hits. But man, they know how to put on a good show.

Pearl Jam are the best live act I've seen. The best gig I have seen them was at Wrigley Field in Chicago in 2018.

I saw The Doobie Brothers on Wednesday night at the State Theatre here in Sydney.

It would have to rank up there with one of the best shows I've ever seen, they were just magnificent. And I've seen them before, at least twice.......the bonus this time I think was that they had Michael McDonald in the band, so they were able to deliver songs from his time in the band (76 to early 80s) with authenticity. And his voice - man - it still booms.

I know they have been doing it a long time and they should be good, but not all bands necessarily improve with age when it comes to live performances.

Not only were they were good, they gave value for money, on stage for about two and a quarter hours, delivering 25 songs.

The Enter Shikari light show is something else… especially when they drop drum and bass mode

Attachments

• FEEC93E3-F36D-4F41-B766-41D91F575527.jpeg
    FEEC93E3-F36D-4F41-B766-41D91F575527.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 43
  • 4924DA73-ACDA-4A2A-A4E0-0FFF3A99C416.jpeg
    4924DA73-ACDA-4A2A-A4E0-0FFF3A99C416.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 42
I’ve pretty much seen all the big bands bar Rolling Stones and AC/DC

For mine, best live concert/ performance EVER was Transvision Vamp live at the Metro in Melbourne. Wendy James was on fire and the crowd went mental a soon as she stepped on stage. Absolutely electric

Gogol Bordello actually got a Polish crowd moving - no mean feat
Tool - more an 'experience' than a show
QOTSA at The Palace - it was the Songs for the Deaf tour, arguably when they were at the peak of their powers.

Jethro Tull at the Horden Pavilion in 1972 when I was working up there. It was their "Thick as a Brick" tour, they sounded incredible and were the first band I had seen that had a stage show. They were also very, very funny. It was like watching Monty Python doing the "Thick as a Brick" tour.

Best Australian Band, Spectrum at their final concert at Dallas Brooks Hall. It was recorded as their wonderful album "Terminal Buzz". Still the best live Australian Recording for me. Mike Rudd could really work a crowd.

Plenty of other memorable concerts as well. The first concert I ever went to at Festival Hall in 1971 had Free, Manfred Mann and Deep Purple. Free were outstanding and blew everyone off the stage. It finished about 2am. I reckon if you can easily select one band, you haven't seen enough.

Last edited:
I saw The Doobie Brothers on Wednesday night at the State Theatre here in Sydney.

It would have to rank up there with one of the best shows I've ever seen, they were just magnificent. And I've seen them before, at least twice.......the bonus this time I think was that they had Michael McDonald in the band, so they were able to deliver songs from his time in the band (76 to early 80s) with authenticity. And his voice - man - it still booms.

I know they have been doing it a long time and they should be good, but not all bands necessarily improve with age when it comes to live performances.

Not only were they were good, they gave value for money, on stage for about two and a quarter hours, delivering 25 songs.
I always thought this was a good representation of how good these guys were live.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back