Best Option for Watching Crows games?

Remove this Banner Ad

Could be some good news for some as you can get to see a couple of SANFL games while waiting. Just set the tape recorder and watch the SANFL.

R2, April 1 v Hawthorn at MCG + no luck Crows play the last trial on the Friday 31st March

R5, April 22 v Gold Coast at Gold Coast, = Round 3- 22nd April Centrals VS Adelaide My money House @ 2.40pm

R15, July 1 v Carlton at MCG = Round 11 - 1st July Sturt vs Adelaide Peter Motley Oval @ 2.10pm

Gave Getflix a go last night, rather than using the VPN. Picture quality improved marginally, but there's not a whole lot in it. Hoping things will improve if/when iiNet & NBNCo manage to get us connected. They installed a box on the side of the house months ago, but can't tell me where it connects to their network.

Fun times...

We've had people in our area waiting for months for connection even after the "box" had been installed. It's an absolute debacle up here.

Worst thing that happened to my internet connection here. ADSL was great, Netflix etc would buffer about 5 times in an hour show. Now we lose connection entirely at least 5 times in an hour show.

Gave Getflix a go last night, rather than using the VPN. Picture quality improved marginally, but there's not a whole lot in it. Hoping things will improve if/when iiNet & NBNCo manage to get us connected. They installed a box on the side of the house months ago, but can't tell me where it connects to their network.

Fun times...
If only there was a way to watch in perfect HD without all this rooting around on the net.

Put your address in the nbnco website and it should tell you the availability date. nbnco.com.au
I wish it were that simple...

NBNCo put a box on the side of the house about 6 months ago, so I know I have availability.

The problem is that the house predates the suburb by about 20-30 years. As a result, all of the utility companies have old addresses which are no longer accurate. As a result, they don't actually know which address in their database corresponds to the house.

Worst thing that happened to my internet connection here. ADSL was great, Netflix etc would buffer about 5 times in an hour show. Now we lose connection entirely at least 5 times in an hour show.
Our ADSL is so bad, we can't even get Netflix to buffer! So I think losing connection 5 times in an hour would be a great improvement to what we have now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I watched the game using WatchAFL on Sunday, and I have to say that it was a dismally poor outcome.

The picture was constantly buffering through the first half, to the extent that by half-time I was 6 minutes behind "real time". Things got worse during the half-time break. WatchAFL started crashing on a regular basis, forcing me to kill the app, re-start the app, re-start the stream, and search to find where I was up to before WatchAFL so rudely interrupted my viewing. WatchAFL crashed so frequently that the game was almost finished by the time I finished watching the 3rd quarter.

The problem does not appear to be at my end. The download speeds it's generating are less than what I get using channel BT. It appears to be another example of flaky and poorly engineered Foxtel technology.

I will give WatchAFL one more chance next weekend, next Saturday. If the experience is anywhere near as bad as yesterday's, then I will cancel the WatchAFL subscription and return to my previous practice of watching (non-FTA) games at the Ainslie Football Club.

I watched the game using WatchAFL on Sunday, and I have to say that it was a dismally poor outcome.

The picture was constantly buffering through the first half, to the extent that by half-time I was 6 minutes behind "real time". Things got worse during the half-time break. WatchAFL started crashing on a regular basis, forcing me to kill the app, re-start the app, re-start the stream, and search to find where I was up to before WatchAFL so rudely interrupted my viewing. WatchAFL crashed so frequently that the game was almost finished by the time I finished watching the 3rd quarter.

The problem does not appear to be at my end. The download speeds it's generating are less than what I get using channel BT. It appears to be another example of flaky and poorly engineered Foxtel technology.

I will give WatchAFL one more chance next weekend, next Saturday. If the experience is anywhere near as bad as yesterday's, then I will cancel the WatchAFL subscription and return to my previous practice of watching (non-FTA) games at the Ainslie Football Club.
I too watched it via Watch AFL and it was smooth as for me. Not a single instance of buffering, and I had it running for three games on Saturday and one on Sunday.

Streaming it to the TV via the Steam Link over a wired connection it was clear and smooth. Quality wasn't HD, but was better than SD at the highest bitrate.

I see you said you're using the app, do you get the same issue streaming inside a web browser?

I too watched it via Watch AFL and it was smooth as for me. Not a single instance of buffering, and I had it running for three games on Saturday and one on Sunday.

Streaming it to the TV via the Steam Link over a wired connection it was clear and smooth. Quality wasn't HD, but was better than SD at the highest bitrate.

I see you said you're using the app, do you get the same issue streaming inside a web browser?
Good question... will try it tonight, to see if it makes a difference.

If I can get it to stream consistently, at the highest bitrate, then that provides a perfectly acceptable picture quality. I don't even mind watching the lower bitrate efforts during the pre-season. But the constant buffering and crashing were just really annoying. By 3/4 time I was so frustrated that I felt like throwing the remote through the TV screen.

I would not be the least bit surprised if the problem was due to Foxtel's ineptitude in writing a stable app.

I did say this would be an issue

Also with the PC - TV streaming with the Steam Link, I found that I got the best results by setting it to 'Beautiful' (out of Fast, Balanced and Beautiful). I used Fast for playing games as I needed the reaction time, but it smoothed out a bit with Beautiful.

While the lounge was connected with ethernet, I tried it in the bedroom on 5ghz wifi as well, and didn't notice any difference. With that said, the router was only on the other side of the wall, which may have helped that.

Also with the PC - TV streaming with the Steam Link, I found that I got the best results by setting it to 'Beautiful' (out of Fast, Balanced and Beautiful). I used Fast for playing games as I needed the reaction time, but it smoothed out a bit with Beautiful.

While the lounge was connected with ethernet, I tried it in the bedroom on 5ghz wifi as well, and didn't notice any difference. With that said, the router was only on the other side of the wall, which may have helped that.
My router is on the other side of the room, so I don't think there are too many problems with the Wifi signal strength.

My router is on the other side of the room, so I don't think there are too many problems with the Wifi signal strength.
wifi - theres your weak link

wifi is never going to be as good as a wired link

wifi - theres your weak link

wifi is never going to be as good as a wired link
It's not the problem here... the problem is almost certainly Foxtel, quite possibly their shitty WatchAFL android app.

The Wifi signal is more than good enough to stream HD video from the hard drive I have attached to the router, and I don't have problems with streaming from other (legally dubious) sites using Kodi.

The common link with all of these problems is WatchAFL & Foxtel.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back