Opinion Best player in the game going into 2022?

Who is the best player in the competition going into 2022

• Bontempelli

Votes: 72 26.7%
  • Oliver

Votes: 52 19.3%
  • Petracca

Votes: 59 21.9%
  • Martin

Votes: 34 12.6%
  • Greene

Votes: 9 3.3%
  • Other

Votes: 44 16.3%

• Total voters

Philth

Club Legend
Feb 4, 2008
Geraldton
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Leeds United
I hate to join in the Melbourne wank-fest here, but its Max Gawn.

There's no-one else like him.

RedWhite&Blue

Premiership Player
Jul 21, 2005
Vic
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Oliver had the better year, which is different to being a ''better'' player.

Surely that's not too nuanced for you.

They're different players with different skillsets. It's very difficult to split them on a value basis.
Can you guys take this argument over to the Melb board because no one gives a s**t

Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
You take delight in saying Oliver is ''better'' any chance you get. Not just this thread. It's monotonous and unnecessary. Especially for two players that are difficult to separate.
This thread is literally titled 'best player in the game going into 2022'. It literally calls for comparison between the players listed in the original thread. Why don't you just focus on the thread instead of your fascination with my posts.

p.s. maybe you find it hard to differentiate, I don't.

Jan 14, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
Lies, damn lies and statistics. Possessions are irrelevant if they're crap possessions.

Do yourself a favour, watch the Rd23 2019 game between Richmond and Brisbane at the MCG.

Just to give you a leg up, Lachie Neale had 52 possessions. Dusty probably half. Watch the game and tell me whose possessions you'd take.

I'll give you another leg up, watch him burst through the middle and goal on the run. Watch him burst through the middle and hit Riewoldt on the chest with a 50m spear pass resulting in a goal. Watch him don't argue 2 Brisbane players and goal around his body when the game was back in the balance near the end. All this as Lachie Neale was gathering stats with 5m backward handballs. LOL.
Dion Prestia's. He was scintillating that day.

I hate to join in the Melbourne wank-fest here, but its Max Gawn.

There's no-one else like him.
Yeah, I said the same about 5 pages back. I can't believe any other player's name is even considered as close based on 2021 output. Max Gawn is the premiership point of difference atm.

Apr 1, 2018
AFL Club
Tasmania
Max Gawn. Yeah he doesn't compare to midfielders that go forward but I don't care, his presence and leadership (plus elite skills obviously) gives him my nod.

If I have to pretend in not biased and nominating a non Melbourne player - Bont, no question.

Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Can you guys take this argument over to the Melb board because no one gives a sh*t

Sour grapes? Why don't you just concentrate on how the dogs are going to have to change their whole game style now that ducking and drawing free kicks isn't going to be rewarded like it was in 2021.

Lies, damn lies and statistics. Possessions are irrelevant if they're crap possessions.

Do yourself a favour, watch the Rd23 2019 game between Richmond and Brisbane at the MCG.

Just to give you a leg up, Lachie Neale had 52 possessions. Dusty probably half. Watch the game and tell me whose possessions you'd take.

I'll give you another leg up, watch him burst through the middle and goal on the run. Watch him burst through the middle and hit Riewoldt on the chest with a 50m spear pass resulting in a goal. Watch him don't argue 2 Brisbane players and goal around his body when the game was back in the balance near the end. All this as Lachie Neale was gathering stats with 5m backward handballs. LOL.
Vlaustin got 9 votes from the coaches, Lachie Neale got 8 votes, Martin got 4.

Now I don't think possessions are everything nor do I think the coaches' opinions are always correct, but maybe - just maybe that gives an indication that winning the ball is valuable in football.

Masotiger

All Australian
Feb 12, 2020
Pod Mosto Drvo
AFL Club
Richmond

Now I don't think possessions are everything nor do I think the coaches' opinions are always correct, but maybe - just maybe that gives an indication that winning the ball is valuable in football.
I prefer to trust my eyes. I don't listen to radio commentary, nor do I pay attention to possessions on the scoreboard. I was surprised to hear Neale got 52 possessions in that game because, imo, he did not impact for someone with that many.

Back in the day when umpires were not privy to stats being displayed every minute of the game - surprise, surprise, Ruckman were winning Brownlow medals. Full Forwards were winning Brownlow medals. CHB's were winning Brownlow medals. Because umpires had to trust their eyes.

Fat Tony!

Team Captain
May 17, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Please read.
Martin has been very consistently in the top 20 but this thread is about the #1 best player in the game in 2022 and he is clearly on the decline.

Martin has only had 29+ possessions and a goal a game once in 2017, which is what Petracca did last year. Martin had very good years again in 2018 and 2019 (but still below 2017 Martin and 2021 Petracca) and then maintained his status as the games best player in 2019 and 2020 by virtue of his great finals campaign.

22 possessions and over a goal a game (like he did in 2021) is not enough impact to be the #1 best player in the game. He will need to get 27+ possessions to surpass Oliver, Petracca or Bontempelli. It is possible but pretty unlikely IMO, particularly as he does not have quite as strong a side around him anymore.

Masotiger

All Australian
Feb 12, 2020
Pod Mosto Drvo
AFL Club
Richmond
Martin has been very consistently in the top 20 but this thread is about the #1 best player in the game in 2022 and he is clearly on the decline.

Martin has only had 29+ possessions and a goal a game once in 2017, which is what Petracca did last year. Martin had very good years again in 2018 and 2019 (but still below 2017 Martin and 2021 Petracca) and then maintained his status as the games best player in 2019 and 2020 by virtue of his great finals campaign.

22 possessions and over a goal a game (like he did in 2021) is not enough impact to be the #1 best player in the game. He will need to get 27+ possessions to surpass Oliver, Petracca or Bontempelli. It is possible but pretty unlikely IMO, particularly as he does not have quite as strong a side around him anymore.
In summary ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I'm very happy to have Martin in a Richmond jumper and Petracca in a Melbourne jumper in season 2022. I rest my case.

Feb 9, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong

If you rank Petracca 2021 on par with Martin 2017 you've absolutely lost the plot.

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
Yet another thread on the main board completely hijacked and turned into a Demons thread. It’s always the same poster as well.
Rubbish, it's all talk about some guy who hasn't done s**t for 12 months.

That said, you can't have a thread about the best players in the AFL and not have a whole lot of really nice conversation about Melbourne Demons. We have three players who have a fair claim on that title.

Which is pretty bloody amazing tbh.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Greene or Martin last for me.

For eg in 2021 Greene was a 17 disposal 45 goal player in a year he made AA. Petracca was almost 30 and 30.

Greene's a great player, but generational midfield types who kick goals and are constantly impacting the contest at the coalface are more valuable.

Martin also now slips down the list based on output.
This. Greene and martin arent in the conversation.

Trav 20

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Idiots get ignored
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Dees
Has there ever been a weaker list of top players in the game?
That's a fair comment.

Especially as there's a dearth of truly great key position forwards. Maybe it's the way the game is played or maybe there's just not generational key forwards right now. We've been spoilt in the past.

But if I'm biased for a second, it may be that Oliver and Petracca have only just entered their prime and have many years and moments to change that perception.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong

I remember watching that game and being absolutely stunned when they mentioned that Neale had gotten to 40 touches (in the 3rd quarter from memory). He obviously got a mountain of the ball, but I hadn't noticed him that much before that.

Back