DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
I use NordVPN, but they were offering a low per-month rate for very long-term use. Plus they're rated very highly here.

I used to use HolaUnblocker because they were free (and worked well enough), but I stopped using them some time back because they increasingly failed to load videos which were geo-blocked.

Interesting to note that even when I don't have NordVPN activated, my IP address is apparently somewhere in New Zealand and has been since the NBN was set up, so I already have some degree of protection. Surely must apply to other people here?

Bomberboyokay if it's bang for your buck you're after, then SurfShark's apparently the best.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Freo, Liverpool, Cardinals
Well with the Government possibly putting in a Stupid Internet Filter like what they have un China.

So I want to be Private and don’t get followed by the government.

I also want to download some stuff on BitTorrent and I been told that you can download without people following what I am doing.

So does anyone know how to set it and what are the Best VPN Clients to use.

Please Help?

Links I have seen and looked at:

https://torrentfreak.com/5-ways-to-download-torrents-anonymously/

http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2014/03/five-best-vpn-service-providers-3/

I was in a similar position and wanting to protect my privacy and after digging around what was available, I selected NordVPN.

They have many servers in many countries so you can log into anywhere you wish to be (great for US Netflix, EPL games etc) They have clients for Windows, Mac, Linux, IOS, Android plus separate clients for Firefox and Chrome. You can have 3 different IP addresses on the one PC concurrently. Also works on your phone when travelling and need to log into your bank using public WiFi.

I will definitely be extending my subscription when this one expires. It's just too useful

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Thinking of going with NordVPN today because it's cheap.

Are these easy to use for a Noob? Most of the time I want to have it "off" with no impact on my current connection. There is only a few situations where I want it on for certain things like Netflix US, etc. But not sure how easy it is to do this.

Can it be on one device, and then another device on the same home Wi-Fi network not on the VPN? Just want to make sure other devices aren't speed restricted when they don't need VPN security at that time.

Mar 20, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast

Are these easy to use for a Noob? Most of the time I want to have it "off" with no impact on my current connection. There is only a few situations where I want it on for certain things like Netflix US, etc. But not sure how easy it is to do this.

Can it be on one device, and then another device on the same home Wi-Fi network not on the VPN? Just want to make sure other devices aren't speed restricted when they don't need VPN security at that time.
I can't speak for Nord specifically, but they make these things incredibly user friendly. You can download the app/program on whatever device, and only connect to a server when you want.

One thing to be wary of though is that Netflix currently block a lot of VPNs being used to watch International content. Might want to check that Nord has some US servers not affected by this, I know that ExpressVPN has a couple.

Yes, you can have a VPN on one device only. This is basically the default.

You can actually set up VPN to run through your router so all connections through your wifi go through VPN but this is more difficult to set up. Probably not what you're after but just FYI

You'll need to find a VPN that has Netflix US workarounds, a lot of VPNs no longer can bypass Netflix geo location detection. I'm using Windscribe atm which I got for very very cheap a while ago and have been using Netflix US fine. Not sure about NordVPN.

hoddo22

Club Legend
Jan 22, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Buffalo Bills
Hey guys and gals,
Although there isn't any sport on at the moment, it will return eventually, is having a VPN a worthy investment.

Specifically, I'm talking AFL and NFL. Can I watch local broadcasts in the U.S. instead of spending the $270 on Gamepass?

On SM-A530F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Hey guys and gals,
Although there isn't any sport on at the moment, it will return eventually, is having a VPN a worthy investment.

Specifically, I'm talking AFL and NFL. Can I watch local broadcasts in the U.S. instead of spending the $270 on Gamepass?

On SM-A530F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I use Nord VPN, which allows me to look like I'm in the US. I haven't tried it, but if you can tell me how I'd actually log online to a stream of American TV channels, I'm happy to test for you. I'd assume that would be how it would have to be done, an online stream of a free service in America, and then the IP address makes it look like in in America so I get access.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My Windscribe Pro subscription is ending. It has served me well over the last year and tempted to re-new with them.

I only paid $20ish last year on a deal they had going on so it was well worth the money as it allowed me to bypass Netflix geolocation blocks and watch Netflix US - in addition to all my other VPN needs.

I think most economic option atm is the build your own plan which allows you to select locations for $1 each location. Seeing as I don't need all 50 or so countries under the Yearly Pro plan, I can grab US, Netflix US and Australia for $3/month = $36/year.

Mentallo

Premiership Player
Apr 23, 2005
Your minds eye.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
I am new literally today to the whole VPN thing in that I knew they existed but never thought I would sign up and use one.
Got Surfshark this moening for 2 years for about $76 AU.
It has been a hot topic at work over the last few days, I will be curious to see how it works with live sports streaming from OS as well.
Apparently according to work colleagues it is great for using to book overseas holidays and stuff like that as well.

TurkBro

Draftee
Jul 30, 2020
Turkey
AFL Club
Adelaide
Looking for a VPN mainly for Netflix and streaming websites.. what’s the current best bet? Seen SurfShark is about $2.40 a month.

Do you lot just pay by PayPal for the safety side or not too phased?
Windscribe is nice. It has dedicated servers for streaming from other countries.
2020-11-17_5-34-18.png

DaRick

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
I use NordVPN, but they were offering a low per-month rate for very long-term use. Plus they're rated very highly here.

I used to use HolaUnblocker because they were free (and worked well enough), but I stopped using them some time back because they increasingly failed to load videos which were geo-blocked.

Interesting to note that even when I don't have NordVPN activated, my IP address is apparently somewhere in New Zealand and has been since the NBN was set up, so I already have some degree of protection. Surely must apply to other people here?

Bomberboyokay if it's bang for your buck you're after, then SurfShark's apparently the best.

Please note that this no longer applies.

Aug 19, 2004
Grand Finals
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Rafael Nadal
My Windscribe Pro subscription is ending. It has served me well over the last year and tempted to re-new with them.

I only paid $20ish last year on a deal they had going on so it was well worth the money as it allowed me to bypass Netflix geolocation blocks and watch Netflix US - in addition to all my other VPN needs.

I think most economic option atm is the build your own plan which allows you to select locations for $1 each location. Seeing as I don't need all 50 or so countries under the Yearly Pro plan, I can grab US, Netflix US and Australia for $3/month = $36/year.
Can you connect multiple devices and Smart tv with Windscribe like you do with Nord? nord is offering me an awesome deal, i am with expressvpn at present but at the moment i can get 3 years Nord for US$ 100. Tempted to be honest.

Can you connect multiple devices and Smart tv with Windscribe like you do with Nord? nord is offering me an awesome deal, i am with expressvpn at present but at the moment i can get 3 years Nord for US$ 100. Tempted to be honest.
Yes to multiple devices. I've not tried a smart tv but I'd imagine you could if you set up the VPN through your router

Evolved1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 14, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Looking for a VPN mainly for Netflix and streaming websites.. what’s the current best bet? Seen SurfShark is about $2.40 a month.

Do you lot just pay by PayPal for the safety side or not too phased?
Not too fussed with the type of things I'm doing online (streaming, downloading torrents occasionally) so I pay with credit card/paypal. I recommend using a vpn that doesn't keep logs on users.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back