Analysis Best & worst top 10 draft picks per draft number

Remove this Banner Ad

The complete idiocy behind picking him 1 puts Boyd over the top for me. They didn't need him, he didn't want to be there and he didn't have the ability to play key forward or ruck at AFL level. But you could mount a fair argument for all three.

Disagree with you about Brennan, Sylvia and Ellis. All had better careers than Hanson.

As for Pick 10, they're all failures so I wouldn't argue if someone suggested any of those players.
Tom Boyd won the Dogs a flag. Makes him well above McCartin and Patton for me.

Eh, maybe. Probably because I hated their softness, at least for the first two.

Laycock was okay. Unlucky we had Ryder and Hille at the time.

Tom Boyd won the Dogs a flag. Makes him well above McCartin and Patton for me.

Eh, maybe. Probably because I hated their softness, at least for the first two.

Laycock was okay. Unlucky we had Ryder and Hille at the time.
That one game didn't really help GWS, did it?

Patton has had some pretty good games when his body let him.

McCartin is just a tragedy. He's probably the obvious choice, but he never really had a chance.

I'll change it to Ryley Dunn then.

That one game didn't really help GWS, did it?

Patton has had some pretty good games when his body let him.

McCartin is just a tragedy. He's probably the obvious choice, but he never really had a chance.

I'll change it to Ryley Dunn then.
Just because he didn't help GWS doesn't mean he's the worst #1 pick. He was clearly better than McCartin and is currently better than Patton (who may well end up better).

The complete idiocy behind picking him 1 puts Boyd over the top for me. They didn't need him, he didn't want to be there and he didn't have the ability to play key forward or ruck at AFL level. But you could mount a fair argument for all three.

Disagree with you about Brennan, Sylvia and Ellis. All had better careers than Hanson.

As for Pick 10, they're all failures so I wouldn't argue if someone suggested any of those players.

Boyd was cheated out of a Norm Smith. His Prelim was very good. His Grand Final was huge.

As for Roo vs Hodge:
If only one of them becomes a Legend, who would it be? My money is on Hodge.

Boyd was cheated out of a Norm Smith. His Prelim was very good. His Grand Final was huge.

As for Roo vs Hodge:
If only one of them becomes a Legend, who would it be? My money is on Hodge.
Being a premiership captain three times looks pretty good on your CV no doubt. And he's such an stereotype Aussie blokely bloke so he's going to get a lot of love for that.

As a player however I'd take Nick. Possibly the greatest Saint to ever play the game. Hodge wasn't even the best player in his own team. Or even the second best. Such a great team that Hawks side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back