Bevos replacement

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon those Dogs teams were the most exciting to watch in my time as a fan.

If only we landed Hall 2 seasons earlier.. Could have been the difference between PF failures and a flag

What would the general vibe be in here if Gia came back to the kennel?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He was forwards coach from 2015-2018, been at Essendon since 2021 as assistant. Would be a marked improvement on the current situation

Gia is probably one of the highest rated assistants in the AFL. The others are disciples of our programs too, in King & Hanson. All of which would be great candidates for their first senior gig. Gia is probably my preference out of those three closely followed by Kingy.

Gia is probably one of the highest rated assistants in the AFL. The others are disciples of our programs too, in King & Hanson. All of which would be great candidates for their first senior gig. Gia is probably my preference out of those three closely followed by Kingy.
There's a fair few options around.

Jaymie Graham was second choice for the Collingwood job, apparently narrowly missing out to McRae.

Jarrad Schofield is another from WA. Managed Port's midfield for a while. He coached a WAFL side from bottom to two flags.

Dean Cox, Sydney want him to take over Longmire if his time ever comes.

Nigel Lappin from Geelong.

I really rate Gia as a coach, just not sure he’s the right fit for us. Too many ties to the club, and also it’s not his fault but so many of our nuff supporters would write him off before he walked in the door because they always have even as a player, and that’s probably not the best place to start with a new coach already having some supporters offside about it - I just want someone everyone can get around again 😂

I’d love him if I was an opposition club though, he’d just about be my first preference - just not for us

The guy almost nobody talks about - Nigel Lappin - absolutely has to be in the conversation.

More of a Craig McRae type than a total hard arse but I feel like he's what the group needs - energy, unity, connection etc.

Buckley please.
The Buckley love is bewildering.

The guys was handed a premiership team and proceeded to to tear it all down and make one grand final appearance over then next 9 years.

His team finished 17 in his last year and go on to be one of if not the best team over the last 18months.

Would be a horrible pick IMO l.

The Buckley love is bewildering.

The guys was handed a premiership team and proceeded to to tear it all down and make one grand final appearance over then next 9 years.

His team finished 17 in his last year and go on to be one of if not the best team over the last 18months.

Would be a horrible pick IMO l.
Buckley is genuinely the last person I’d want, he’s just Bev but without the success. Always been a FIGJAM type, huge ego.

Literally the last thing this club needs right now

The guy almost nobody talks about - Nigel Lappin - absolutely has to be in the conversation.

More of a Craig McRae type than a total hard arse but I feel like he's what the group needs - energy, unity, connection etc.
Wikipedia says he's been an assistant at Geelong for 15 years. That's a helluva long time. Do we know if he's applied for head coaching positions before (this is not an area I pay much attention to so might have been discussed already)

He was forwards coach from 2015-2018, been at Essendon since 2021 as assistant. Would be a marked improvement on the current situation
That CV is far from exciting. Would love someone from an external successful programme. He'd bring his Dogs experience and what he's learnt at Essendon.

Our school footy side played at Whitten Oval in the late 2000s. I was in my glory that day.

Walking through the main corridor brushing shoulders with Peter Dean and a young Will Minson.

Had to take a leak and walked past Rocket in the toilet and was star struck.
I cannot say anything bad about that man. The club owed him a key forward. We were so close. He made our team play our most exciting brand of footy.

He would've been held in different conversations had we punched a flag.

I was full back that game.. at the end where our gym shed was Cam Wight and Brian Lake sat out on eskies yelling out advice to us.

I made a good spoil and was clapped by Cam Wight which is a great memory.

Josh Hill presented our medals. He was a very shy and timid fella.

There was such a buzz around the club at the time.

This fawning of the late 2000s and especially Rocket Eade is excruciatingly painful.

Rocket had three big chances to make it to the big dance and failed everytime.

Rocket would continuously talk down the club. That we didn't have the stars of other teams, our infrastructure wasn't good enough etc..

Bevo changed that mindset in 2015. Why not us.

It looks like he might of lost the players but Bevo is clearly our most successful coach of the last 50 years.

Buckley is genuinely the last person I’d want, he’s just Bev but without the success. Always been a FIGJAM type, huge ego.

'Bevo without the success' is like saying Usain Bolt without the 100m world titles.

Bevo is infinitely a much better coach than Bucks.

Have you ever spent any time with the bloke talking footy or listening to him talk about footy? I’ve had the experience of both and he was one of the most tactically impressive people I’ve ever met. He walked through how and why the dogs would win the 2016 GF at a breakfast and the pregame lunch I attended. Q&A was impressive and even more so a short period of 1:1 time I had with him on another occasion. I don’t pretend to know him well but he really knows his stuff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have you ever spent any time with the bloke talking footy or listening to him talk about footy? I’ve had the experience of both and he was one of the most tactically impressive people I’ve ever met. He walked through how and why the dogs would win the 2016 GF at a breakfast and the pregame lunch I attended. Q&A was impressive and even more so a short period of 1:1 time I had with him on another occasion. I don’t pretend to know him well but he really knows his stuff.
He definitely knows his footy, way too big an ego for the club and the position we’re in right now though IMO. Plus he’d never come here anyway

What I want in our next coach

- Has played a key role in successful coaching environments. VFL/ state league or/and an assistant role in an AFL premiership team

- Someone who challenges the status quo.The most successful teams / people have always challenged the 'accepted' way of doing things.

- Emotional intelligence/ genuinely enjoys helping people. The new generation of players need to feel loved and cared for. A lot of them have high anxiety. A coach that has the patience and empathy to deal with this will be vital.

- Someone that is willing and able to build a culture of high expectations and standards. This is Bevo's biggest failure IMO. Macrae is the gold standard for this in the AFL. Collingwood under his tenureship have fostered a culture where every week the individual player is expected to match or beat their personal best in whatever activity they undertake. This involves the weight room, skill work or out on the track.

Whoever comes in they need to have the personality and capabilities to foster unity within the playing group. I know as fans we like to bury our heads in the sand sometimes but there have been enough whispers about the factions within the playing group that the club need to take seriously. Not everyone will get along all the time but enough of playing group need to for us to have a successful team.

Last edited:
We have 11 years of his senior coaching CV to assess him on.

How well he speaks at a luncheon is really irrelevant.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back