Big Bash Future

Remove this Banner Ad

With the BBL now already clashing with the BPL, and parts of the new Emirates Premier League:

You would think with better money around the world, for even associate country players and Australian players- the quality may be even more diluted than ever before.

That article by Lavalette, mentions things around tax-free money to play in the Emirates, against a tax component playing in Aus. Players in Aus are no longer disappointed in not getting a gig in BBL sides, when they can ply their trade for bigger bucks in other countries.

Top Aussie test players in bbl is what needs to happen, but will board do it??

Players is one part of the issue but how about it having some proper competitiveness in there. Getting Cummins, Smith etc will be a sugar hit for a bit but will wean off again once everyone sees it for its mickey mouse value.

Stupid question but do players that play BBL often feel like its just a job, rather than playing for monetary gain?

I mean which is more satisfying?

I feel like the old obligation to do this to the game is not a motivating enough factor for local players.

Do the likes of Warner, Cummins, Hazlewood, Maxwell, Marsh and co, deeply sit down and think its easier to make a million than it is by giving back and trying to look good to please local consumers? Im just not sold on it. I think the motivation isn't quite the same. Look at LIV Golf and what it has done to that now with their own rebel league. I also think Money talks when it comes to sports these days. Some players will turn up being half motivated because they know they have a big pay packet even if their performance is shabby on the domestic league eg Aaron Finch. Whilst playing on the international stage especially at home in Australia is considered the pinnacle, one can see the damage it has done to English and to West Indies cricket, with millions more being offered the in the richer leagues. I mean an IPL salary is roughly $5 USD million a year alone for a player.

Stupid question but do players that play BBL often feel like its just a job, rather than playing for monetary gain?

I mean which is more satisfying?

I feel like the old obligation to do this to the game is not a motivating enough factor for local players.

Do the likes of Warner, Cummins, Hazlewood, Maxwell, Marsh and co, deeply sit down and think its easier to make a million than it is by giving back and trying to look good to please local consumers? Im just not sold on it. I think the motivation isn't quite the same. Look at LIV Golf and what it has done to that now with their own rebel league. I also think Money talks when it comes to sports these days. Some players will turn up being half motivated because they know they have a big pay packet even if their performance is shabby on the domestic league eg Aaron Finch. Whilst playing on the international stage especially at home in Australia is considered the pinnacle, one can see the damage it has done to English and to West Indies cricket, with millions more being offered the in the richer leagues. I mean an IPL salary is roughly $5 USD million a year alone for a player.
The IPL will dwarf all forms of cricket going forward, with the new TV deal, International Cricket will become a backwater, let alone the BBL.

The IPL will dwarf all forms of cricket going forward, with the new TV deal, International Cricket will become a backwater, let alone the BBL.
Yep its a 5 billion pound TV rights deal, which is an increase from the 1.7 billion pound TV deal.

Its clear that the BCCI dictate sport and not the ICC. its probably a grim thing for international fixtures, international leagues etc

May as well criticise the Sheffield Shield for not being Test standard, using some of the logic in this thread.

I don't remember that because you just made it up. It grew in popularity when it moved to free-to-air TV, reversing a downward trend.

Warne's contribution was acting like an idiot while mic'd up, and being a cheat to avoid over rate penalties. Nothing legitimate about what he brought to the league.

You my friend are a *.

You my friend are a ******.
I don't know what a "******" is meant to be, but I doubt it's a strong enough word to describe Warne's disgraceful antics in the BBL.

Friend or not, I'm happy that my honest opinion has brought you to tears.

Warne's contribution was acting like an idiot while mic'd up, and being a cheat to avoid over rate penalties. Nothing legitimate about what he brought to the leagu
As a commentator he was terrible, that I 100% agree on.

BUt to give the comp a solid first couple of seasons, having him simply in the comp was a boost for the comp itself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BUt to give the comp a solid first couple of seasons, having him simply in the comp was a boost for the comp itself.
BBL|02 remains the worst attended non-Covid affected season by far. Maybe it would've been even worse that season without him, but that is not the ridiculous claim I'm refuting.

The BBL was saved by CA selling the broadcast rights to free-to-air TV. The resulting monster crowds that would follow particularly in 2015/16 and 2016/17 had nothing to do with Warne, who re-retired 3-4 seasons earlier when the league was losing steam.

I don't know what a "******" is meant to be, but I doubt it's a strong enough word to describe Warne's disgraceful antics in the BBL.

Friend or not, I'm happy that my honest opinion has brought you to tears.

You opinion is s**t, the first few years of the Big Bash with all the retiring stars in it was the best years of Big Bash and Warne was a big part of that.

You opinion is s**t, the first few years of the Big Bash with all the retiring stars in it was the best years of Big Bash and Warne was a big part of that.
Be quiet, fool. You don't even understand my opinion, so you certainly can't evaluate it.

The BBL was at its least popular, and was getting less popular, during the years Warne played. Fact, not an opinion.

Warne acted like a total idiot during his time in the BBL, which in no way helped legitimise the competition. That would be my opinion, though it's derived from the fact he was suspended and fined multiple times during his last two weeks in the league for code of conduct breaches.

This is not a Shane Warne dicksucking thread, so if people are going to bring his name up in here and inflate his contribution to the league, some hard truths are going to surface in response. If you could provide facts to refute what I've said (rather than saying "wahhh you're a meanie"), you already would have.

Just back on cricket for a moment ;)

Posted in Cricket Domesticity already but Faf du Plessis is first overseas name to commit to the BBL International Draft, also with a trio of other ex/current Proteas.

Faf would be an amazing get, not overly keen on picking up a quick from overseas we generally have a lot of those floating around

Be quiet, fool. You don't even understand my opinion, so you certainly can't evaluate it.

The BBL was at its least popular, and was getting less popular, during the years Warne played. Fact, not an opinion.

Warne acted like a total idiot during his time in the BBL, which in no way helped legitimise the competition. That would be my opinion, though it's derived from the fact he was suspended and fined multiple times during his last two weeks in the league for code of conduct breaches.

This is not a Shane Warne dicksucking thread, so if people are going to bring his name up in here and inflate his contribution to the league, some hard truths are going to surface in response. If you could provide facts to refute what I've said (rather than saying "wahhh you're a meanie"), you already would have.
Warne was sensational in BBL01, he was the man, played (bowled) well and was the main reason it started off with a bang(google him calling his dismissal of McCullum prior to bowling the ball) . Half way thru BBL02 as his body started to fail him he jumped the Shark and his on field performance and demeanour was beyond poor. I’ve been a ⭐️ Member since Day 1.

Go back to the six state teams + 2 or 3 or even 4 international imports. The talent is diluted to thin in its current format.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back