Big Bash Future

Remove this Banner Ad

There is not going to be a reduction in the number of games being played due to TV rights/advertising dollars. What I would do is have each teams home games split between their main home ground in the City (4 games) & regional/smaller venues (3 games) As an example:

Adelaide Strikers 4 games Adelaide Oval, 1 game Glenelg, 1 game Whyalla, 1 game Port Lincoln
Brisbane Heat 4 games Gabba, 2 games GC, 1 game Cairns
Melbourne Stars 4 games at MCG, 3 games in the East - 1 game Junction Oval, 1 game Casey Fields, 1 game Traralgon
Melbourne Renegades 4 games at Marvel, 3 games in the West - 2 games at Geelong, 1 in Ballarat
Sydney Sixers 4 games SCG, 3 games along the Coast such as Newcastle, Coffs Harbour
Sydney Thunder 3 games Giants Stadium, 3 games Canberra, 1 game Blacktown
Hobart Hurricanes 4 games Hobart, 3 games Launceston
Perth Scorchers 4 games at Perth Stadium, 2 games at WACA, 1 game Mandurah

Ideally the games in Capital Cities would be played one a week over four consecutive weekends Fri/Sat/Sun so fans know there is a game each weekend to attend. The regional/smaller venue games early to midweek.

The irony of this proposal is that Cricket Australia did away with State based teams (which is still my main preference) which under this proposal BBL teams return to de-facto State teams garnering support state wide.
Even the low-drawing games at Optus get more people than the WACA's capacity.

And Mandurah? Laughable.

Even the low-drawing games at Optus get more people than the WACA's capacity.

And Mandurah? Laughable.
That may be the case for the Scorchers but for most of the other BBL teams the crowds have dropped off dramatically. They should send the early to midweek games to smaller venues.

Not enough Aussie or international stars, too many gimmicks, franchises you don’t really care about where players are regularly swapping teams, commentators speaking to the players while they are playing makes it amateurish, and it’s helped kill off the magic of ODIs each summer. 60,000 at the MCG for a day-nighter with Bay 13 and the Mexican wave in full swing was terrific. That’s gone.

The only reason I keep seeing to not drastically reduce the number of games is TV ratings. However, if CA choose to not do anything to improve/scale back the comp and instead rely on the TV rights gravy train to keep rolling in, they are going to end up killing the goose that laid the golden egg.

The problem is the BBL is not far off being just another crappy Channel 7 TV game show at this point. Yes it’s still rating well (although that could change once the Aus Open starts), but long term how sustainable is it to keep shelling out massive $$ every rights cycle for a product that is lacking in quality and being played in front of fairly empty stadiums?

The only reason I keep seeing to not drastically reduce the number of games is TV ratings. However, if CA choose to not do anything to improve/scale back the comp and instead rely on the TV rights gravy train to keep rolling in, they are going to end up killing the goose that laid the golden egg.

The problem is the BBL is not far off being just another crappy Channel 7 TV game show at this point. Yes it’s still rating well (although that could change once the Aus Open starts), but long term how sustainable is it to keep shelling out massive $$ every rights cycle for a product that is lacking in quality and being played in front of fairly empty stadiums?

It’s hard to see CA getting as much for the next rights deal as they did this time. Even if ratings are solid when nothing else is on, I can’t see anyone seeing the cricket rights as a massive bonus. You could end up with a split rights deal by trying to get multiple networks to cough up for a format.

Seeing the BBL isn’t getting the crowds to fill their main venues and all, what if they moved the season to Feb-March of Sep-Oct-Nov. Therefore the league won’t be hit by lack of big names and the Sheffield Shield can be one ongoing competition without the disruption
Ideally, the BBL would be roughly when the WBBL is across October into early November; starting the season and Tests would not start until Christmas. Tests are played mostly in daytime, more people have January off making it the best time to play Tests (although heat might be an issue). Players then stay with either international or state teams for the remainder of the summer with no mid-summer interruption.
The Shield must run until late in the summer, as the best preparation and recency of form for selection for any tours in February and March (basically the pre-IPL period).

However, that timeslot leads to reduced availability of the BBL to its younger (especially primary school) target audience and reduced media rights from not holding it over holidays. Which makes it severely unlikely. Its a problem southern hemisphere nations have, the best financial time to run the T20 comps is the worst cricketing time to run it.

However, that timeslot leads to reduced availability of the BBL to its younger (especially primary school) target audience and reduced media rights from not holding it over holidays. Which makes it severely unlikely. Its a problem southern hemisphere nations have, the best financial time to run the T20 comps is the worst cricketing time to run it.
IF they marketing the BBL like normal cricket, this would resolve the option. Isn't of marketing it as gimmicking and shits and gigs. The BBL needs to marketed to everyone, not just kids otherwise Test Cricket will die.

Seeing the BBL isn’t getting the crowds to fill their main venues and all, what if they moved the season to Feb-March of Sep-Oct-Nov. Therefore the league won’t be hit by lack of big names and the Sheffield Shield can be one ongoing competition without the disruption
It won't happen, but I wouldn't mind it around October-November, as for me it's a real dead spot once AFL finishes, with horse racing and whatever else is on offer.

It won't happen, but I wouldn't mind it around October-November, as for me it's a real dead spot once AFL finishes, with horse racing and whatever else is on offer.
And then people will complain there is no Shield cricket before the tests start.

anyone got today's crowd figures at the double header at the MCG ?

school holidays, perfect weather .....

5,800 I think someone posted in the game day thread.

Who would want to go when the home team is being destroyed by Covid and still forced to play whilst other games get postponed. You can’t even guarantee a game will happen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not enough Aussie or international stars, too many gimmicks, franchises you don’t really care about where players are regularly swapping teams, commentators speaking to the players while they are playing makes it amateurish, and it’s helped kill off the magic of ODIs each summer. 60,000 at the MCG for a day-nighter with Bay 13 and the Mexican wave in full swing was terrific. That’s gone.

Thank god someone else said this. Absolutely HATE when commentators talk to players MID GAME. I just wanna scream "stop talking and focus on the ball you moron".. it's utter garbage at pro level.

Imagine an AFL player talking to BT while waiting for a boundary throw in...

Is anyone going to remember any of the outcomes of these BBL games - perhaps McDermott getting 2 hundreds in 2 games?
Compare that with the results of the Test match at the SCG? Khawaja's twin tons on return from a prolonged absence. Bairstow's hundred. Broad and Anderson getting England home with a draw with 9 close fielders etc.

No comparison for mine. Sure, there are still great skills in the BBL, but it does not stir me the same way as Test Cricket does.

And now, for those trying to play BBL Supercoach, working out who is even playing in round 11, when both of the teams playing double headers have half their team out, and one of the matches starts at lunch time.

The comp needs a serious overhaul. At the moment it's just not working. Here would be my advice:

A 9th and 10th team would definitely help the competition feel less repetitive. Make it happen and bring in actual rounds each weekend from Thursday - Sunday (nightly games plus a Saturday double header) starting from mid November. Don't play on the Monday-Wednesday unless Tests get in the way.

10 teams where all teams play 10 games would be the perfect mix. Everyone plays everyone once plus a rivalry double up:

Renegades v Stars
Sixers v Thunder
Heat v Gold Coast
Scorchers v Strikers
Hurricanes v Canberra

Then run a finals weekend:

Eliminators:
Thursday: 4 v 5
Friday: 3 v 6

Semis:
Saturday: 1 v (winner of 4 v 5)
Sunday: 2 v (winner of 3 v 6)

Final following weekend (last weekend of January)

anyone got a scorchers kit - wicket keeping spot up for grabs today and they are scrambling for a keeper after bancroft ruled out as a close contact and inglis with the test squad.

Is anyone going to remember any of the outcomes of these BBL games - perhaps McDermott getting 2 hundreds in 2 games?
Compare that with the results of the Test match at the SCG? Khawaja's twin tons on return from a prolonged absence. Bairstow's hundred. Broad and Anderson getting England home with a draw with 9 close fielders etc.

No comparison for mine. Sure, there are still great skills in the BBL, but it does not stir me the same way as Test Cricket does.

And now, for those trying to play BBL Supercoach, working out who is even playing in round 11, when both of the teams playing double headers have half their team out, and one of the matches starts at lunch time.
You're comparing a domestic game with an international.

The real comparison is between BBL and the shield or the one-day comp. No-one watches the shield - free entry at the gate and it's still family and friends only, plus the only broadcast is on a poorly-shot stream, and is there any radio coverage at all? And the one-day comp - can anyone even remember the name of it?

This is domestic cricket, live on TV to a million people every night for almost two months. Yeah, you'll have some shitty games and plenty that you miss completely, but when Australia only plays ten tests a year, well of course they'll be more memorable.

No one outside Perth could even tell you who won the BBL each season 😉

Thank god someone else said this. Absolutely HATE when commentators talk to players MID GAME. I just wanna scream "stop talking and focus on the ball you moron".. it's utter garbage at pro level.

Imagine an AFL player talking to BT while waiting for a boundary throw in...

Best part of the game, it’s interesting and the results are meaningless so who cares? It’s a TV show, not a sporting competition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back