BigFooty Bike Store (Bike Advice)

Remove this Banner Ad

Don’t be such a tightwad, if you’re not a mechanic pay a LBS to fix it or replace it.
Harsh.

He just asked a question. In answer, if you are going to take it to the shop, and know you will be paying to replace it, have a play and try to fix it first, just for the experience. Then take it in and show them. They may say it still needs doing, or they may say it's good enough. Nothing lost and you get to work on your mechanical skills a touch.

My bike went MIA while I lived in America and I have finally been reunited after a few years of storage. I gave it a clean and attempted a service, but rear Derrailleur looks bent outwards. I’m okay on the tools but by no means no expert. YouTube didn’t tell me directly. Fixable or does it have to go to the Dr’s?

Most likely the hanger is bent, they are made from really soft metal and bend easy to save having a bent, useless frame. You can get replacement ones if you know what model and year the bike is, Google should help, most come from the u.s. so will cost close to $50, bike shops can sometime stock them or you can sometimes get lucky on eBay and find one cheap. They are all different and usually change designs every couple of years so you have to get the right one rather than just anything. Bike shops can sometimes have a tool to bend them back but it's not a long term fix, they are never spot on and it makes them a lot weaker and likely to break completely, but could be a cheaper option.

Harsh.

He just asked a question. In answer, if you are going to take it to the shop, and know you will be paying to replace it, have a play and try to fix it first, just for the experience. Then take it in and show them. They may say it still needs doing, or they may say it's good enough. Nothing lost and you get to work on your mechanical skills a touch.
Thanks!

Advice for a new road bike

oooo ... a cycling board. anyway, should be starting a new job soon which pays reasonably well and first on the shopping list is a road bike. I'm pretty much new to cycling but have had a brief look at what's going around.

I'm looking at around the $1500 - $2000 mark for a road bike with Ultegra 105s, carbon fibre framing and the wheels i'm not sure on.

I'm 184cm - 86kg. Advice?
Just make sure you get measured up for a bike....buying of gumtree or e-bay is a complete no no. You need a bike that fits your body shape size.

Anyone have a trek fuel ex 8 or 9.7? If not, why did you go for another bike at a similar price point?

Looking for an all mountain style bike and it will be my first dual suspension. Any suggestions?

Anyone have a trek fuel ex 8 or 9.7? If not, why did you go for another bike at a similar price point?

Looking for an all mountain style bike and it will be my first dual suspension. Any suggestions?

Considered a lower specced fuel but at the end of the day Trek's are expensive and after having a hardtail 29er, I wanted a 27.5. I was only half looking and ended up buying an Avanti competitor s2 dualie but in hindsight I got carried away by the forks and RD it had on it because most of the rest of the parts on it are junk but I dont consider myself a good enough roadie trying to be a mtb'er to have a better bike. Having a QR rear wheel has already stuffed up a lot of wheel upgrade options, might be something to consider wiith Trek, I dont know enough about their extra wide rear hub. I bought end of 2016 and as is the case with mtb parts, things get outdated very quickly. But the upgrade from hardtail to dualie has been worth every cent, the enjoyment of riding is hugely different, makes rock gardens and granite based trails so much easier. A lot of the shops do demo days and at the budget you are looking at you should have plenty of options.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back