Bigfooty GOTY 2016 voting thread (ends 31/12)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought Final Fantasy XV.
Looking forward to getting stuck into it.

I expect it will feature in my top 10 somewhere.

Just bought Final Fantasy XV.
Looking forward to getting stuck into it.

I expect it will feature in my top 10 somewhere.

Its my first FF game. I've put about 3 hours in so far and I'm really enjoying it bar what seems to be some blurry graphics every now and then.

Will likely feature in my top games but going to play it a bit more first. The cover of Stand by Me as your pushing the car pretty much sold me on the game.

Dishonored 2 is the 9th 2016 game I've played this year and it won't even make my top 10...

I do not get the hype for this one.
I'm not overly far in, so hoping it really improved, but unless you're collecting a bunch of runes each level is super short and boring.

1. Stardew Valley
  2. The Witness
  3. Planet Coaster
  4. Forza Horizon 3
  5. Pokemon Sun/Moon
  6. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
  7. Tokyo Mirage Sessions FE

A year with good games but nothing that has blown my socks off at all. Planet Coaster potentially, just haven't played it anywhere near enough.

Its my first FF game. I've put about 3 hours in so far and I'm really enjoying it bar what seems to be some blurry graphics every now and then.

Will likely feature in my top games but going to play it a bit more first. The cover of Stand by Me as your pushing the car pretty much sold me on the game.

Yeah that was a great intro.
Definitely doesn't quite match other PS1/PS2 Final Fantasy games yet IMO.
Although that could be nostalgia talking...
It's a clear step up from FFXIII and it's technically very impressive.
The battle system is simple yet fun and effective to use.

Dishonored 2 is the 9th 2016 game I've played this year and it won't even make my top 10...

I do not get the hype for this one.
I'm not overly far in, so hoping it really improved, but unless you're collecting a bunch of runes each level is super short and boring.

Give it a bit of time.
If you didn't play the original game i could see someone not enjoying it as much.

Also are you playing low or high chaos?
I'd recommend sticking to one play style for the game and build you're experience from there.
I'm actually on my 2nd playthrough now lol

Give it a bit of time.
If you didn't play the original game i could see someone not enjoying it as much.

Also are you playing low or high chaos?
I'd recommend sticking to one play style for the game and build you're experience from there.
I'm actually on my 2nd playthrough now lol
It definitely feels like I should have played the first to be more invested in the characters and story.

Playing low chaos. Get some random kills somehow though which is really annoying as I'm trying to not kill anyone, but mission summary shows 1-3 deaths...

1. Uncharted 4
2. Watch Dogs 2
3. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided

Apart from Uncharted 4, bit of a meh year for me in gaming. Have a backlog of classic PS3 to play though.
Uncharted just blew it out of the park and managed to better the third game. Gorgeous settings and game play that enabled it to be interesting all throughout the game. Improved on the mechanics while keeping the adventurous spirit. Very well done by Naughty Dog and SCE.

Halfway through the vote would you guys like to see the count so far?

Also would be great to hear from some other regulars here like

Ant
Quivoror
Pantskyle
Premiors04

etc.

No pressure though :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Uncharted 4

2. Battlefield 1

3. Mafia 3

4. Gears of war 4

5. Forza Horizon 3

6. FIFA 17

7. Watch Dogs 2

8. Firewatch

Struggling with a 9 and 10.

Some pretty solid games but overall a lean year to be honest.

The lack of Doom in this thread is bizarre, reckon it'll take it out most places.

Overwatch probably 2nd.

Planet Coaster looks amazing but haven't had a chance to play it yet.

The lack of Doom in this thread is bizarre, reckon it'll take it out most places.

Overwatch probably 2nd.

Doom is awesome and I think it will figure on a few of the regulars who are yet to post their lists (it will be on mine and probably Premiers04 as well based on convos with him). I cleared it out after playing Titanfall's campaign to compare the two best shooter campaigns of the year.

Reckon it would be the short priced favourite to take out Giantbomb's GOTY given their thoughts on it. It will pick up awards elsewhere as well.

Doom is awesome and I think it will figure on a few of the regulars who are yet to post their lists (it will be on mine and probably Premiers04 as well based on convos with him). I cleared it out after playing Titanfall's campaign to compare the two best shooter campaigns of the year.

Reckon it would be the short priced favourite to take out Giantbomb's GOTY given their thoughts on it. It will pick up awards elsewhere as well.

I would be genuinely amazed if it didn't take out GB's.

Overwatch probably 2nd.

Planet Coaster looks amazing but haven't had a chance to play it yet.

Do i consider this post a vote?

Doom is currently mid table in the voting on 17pts (not including you're own)

Looking forward to see you're list Big Sauce :thumbsu:

I've settled on mine. I have excluded remasters/rereleases on principle and as much as I tried to make a top 10 I really couldn't sort out a definitive order beyond these four. So this is my top four of 2016 in order as they are the only ones I can honestly vouch for and say they're awesome.

4. Doom. What an awesome nod to the classic Doom. Huge three dimensional levels, platforming, mowing down hordes of demons never felt like a chore. Exploration and collectable hunting was actually enjoyable. The reason this sits at four is I felt the multiplayer was a little tact on at the end. This is the only way I could separate it from number three.

3. Battlefield 1. I love the chaos and while I assume there is no substitute for the real thing it actually feels like war. My biggest knock on it is that it feels like a WW2 game with a WW1 skin but the game has been designed this way and I can't fault that. The campaign is mostly so-so IMO but mostly based on historical material is how I separated this from my number 4. A little subjectivity but that's why it's my list.

2. Dark Souls 3. I've always wanted to be good at Souls games but honestly I suck at them. Maybe I just need more practice? Anyway this was the first one I had ever finished and I loved every second of it even when things weren't going so great. By the end the game felt like a dance where you need to use certain moves at certain parts and once you stuffed your choreography then you were straight back to the last bonfire. I played this a lot with the brother in law too online who was a total Souls noob and we had a blast. As a massive fan of black and death metal music I actually felt quite at home with the setting too :D

1. Titanfall 2. The more I play it the more I get frustrated at the general lack of interest in it and also at EA for timing it for no other reason than to try and take some sales off Activision. This game is better than that. The campaign is great, the levels are more than just shooting through linear corridors. Each level is different and some were the most unique I've seen in the genre. The multiplayer is fantastic. While I mostly play Attrition due to population I love how you can sit down and smash out 5 minute games if you're not up for a 30minute battle of something like BF1. I love how you can be on a team getting smashed early on but only for the tide to turn once the titans start coming down because it turns out your team are great pilots, they're just shitty grunts. This game is just the full package to me. A campaign that I enjoyed every moment of and a solid multiplayer with deep customisation, fluid gameplay and technically flawless.

I love Doom and BF1 but it's the combination of both facets of Titanfall 2 which has it taking my honours.

Last edited:
1. Titanfall 2. The more I play it the more I get frustrated at the general lack of interest in it and also at EA for timing it for no other reason than to try and take some sales off Activision. This game is better than that. The campaign is great, the levels are more than just shooting through linear corridors. Each level is different and some were the most unique I've seen in the genre. The multiplayer is fantastic. While I mostly play Attrition due to population I love how you can sit down and smash out 5 minute games if you're not up for a 30minute battle of something like BF1. I love how you can be on a team getting smashed early on but only for the tide to turn once the titans start coming down because it turns out your team are great pilots, they're just shitty grunts. This game is just the full package to me. A campaign that I enjoyed every moment of and a solid multiplayer with deep customisation, fluid gameplay and technically flawless.

Couldn't have said it any better. I actually need to go back and redo my top 10 after finally playing Titanfall, easily my number 1. Such a complete package.

1. Overwatch

Nobody was more surprised to love this game than I was. Wasn't even on my radar upon release and I only picked it up because I had a gift voucher. A breathe of fresh air for FPS' and a genuine joy to play. The game was remarkably well balanced given the range of different characters and abilities (with but a few small exceptions).

2. The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine

An expansion pack that was larger than most full priced releases. This added to the original game, with another excellent story (including the incredibly fairy-tale world) and great gameplay. I was sad to finish the saga (171 hours across the original and two expansions).

3. Forza Horizon 3

I almost didn't buy this because I got distracted by Forza Horizon 2. I loved that game and this one has the same great gameplay. I've only put 8 hours into FH3 so far (compared to almost 60 hours for FH2) but I'm sure I'll put plenty more into before I move on to other games.

4. Quantum Break

The PC port is horribly optimised but the narrative in this game is the most ambitious I've ever seen in a videogame. A time traveling adventure that does its best to limit paradoxes and makes a mockery of most videogame stories. The gameplay was great - time powers are fun - and the performances from the major actors are outstanding.

5. Titanfall 2

I loved TF1 but played the beta for TF2 and hated it. Then I started to hear good things about the campaign; then I started to hear great things about the campaign; then I played the campaign and it was the best FPS campaign I'd played in years. Quality shooting mechanics combined with great platforming make this game fantastic. For me it felt like a mix between Half-Life 2 and Portal with mechs thrown in for good measure.

6. Uncharted 4

Says a lot about the quality of gaming this year that this doesn't make my top five. Uncharted 2 is probably my favourite game of all time so I've always had a soft spot for Uncharted. Uncharted 4 does some amazing things. Naughty Dog's storytelling is superb and there characterisation is unmatched within the industry. Gameplay was solid and the game was a fair bit longer than its predecessors. But ultimately I was a little disappointed by the lack of spectacle and big set pieces; it felt more mature but less fun than UC2.

7. Gears of War 4

The campaign starts a little rough but by the time Marcus appears it was chugging along nicely. The Coalition killed it with their first original entry into the series. The TPS mechanics are still the best in the business and the story hits all the right beats. Nostalgia is utilised to great effect - honestly I was surprised by how much I enjoyed returning to these characters. Shame I am absolutely awful at the MP but co-op was great.

8. Doom

A real surprise for me. I've probably spent 10 minutes playing previous Doom titles. The gameplay in this one is superb and the battles are genuinely fun and frantic affairs. I prefer strong narratives though - or at least adequate narratives since we're talking about videogames - which sees Doom sit behind some of the other FPS or TPS on my list.

9. Watch Dogs 2

I haven't finished this yet and it's unlikely that I'll do so before the end of the year. The first game in the series gets a lot of hate but I liked a lot of the things it tried to do, particularly with regards to the manipulation of your environment, and I think the second game really adds to that. Throw in a more likeable protagonist and it seems like a pretty solid game.

10. World of Final Fantasy

Another game that I haven't finished. Since Christmas I've been playing it concurrently with Final Fantasy XV but I feel as though I'm having more fun with WoFF. It's excessively cute and I wouldn't be caught dead playing it in front of anyone else but the nostalgia and well crafted world has been enough to win me over.

Note:

I spent most of the year clearing out my back catalogue. Two games in particular 'Life is Strange' and 'Sunset Overdrive' are easily among the top 10 games I played this year but aren't eligible.

Last edited:
Note:

I've currently playing through Doom and have Ratchet and Clank sitting there as well. I doubt either will displace any of the top seven that I've put together but they may warrant inclusion in a top 10.

I spent most of the year clearing out my back catalogue. Two games in particular 'Life is Strange' and 'Sunset Overdrive' are easily among the top 10 games I played this year but aren't eligible.

Maybe sometime i could run a ''top 10 games you played in 2016 that weren't released in 2016'' GOTY thread.

I think a thread like that would get some interest as lots of people have huge backlogs.

EDIT - I might even look into doing an edition of bigfooty game of all time voting thread with the same format as this one.
Would be interesting to see how similar or varied our overall gaming tastes are and what the eventual winner would be.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back