Biggest commentary bugbears?

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Only 3 hours until we're forced to hear Channel 7's commentary team. What gets on your nerves most about them?
There is too much to do a full list in detail, But

IF: Jude Bolton had called Charlie Cameron, Charlie Gardner once more last night.

THEN: He may have been pulled through the screen, Wonka Vision style.

Don't start me on McAveney, Ablett is struggling, Ablett is finished. Ablett is involved in four of the first five goals. :think:

PAFC_1870

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 21, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls
I've done a full circle on Hudson, was a dork back when he started, remembered a promo with him saying he'd commentate games at school etc etc....

To his credit, probably one of the best going around now....

As for the rest, they are all pretty bad....

Costanza_

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
West Ham United
Not C7, but when this bloke says "[literally anything]"

dwayne-russell-.jpg

Feb 12, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
The 'Ablett struggling' narrative Bruce was trying to push last night while he was keeping us in it in the first half was something very special. Tried to save face by trying to pretend he worked his way into the game late. Convinced some of them go into games with a predetermined agenda and just run with it no matter what. Stop trying to create headlines and call the game.

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
I've done a full circle on Hudson, was a dork back when he started, remembered a promo with him saying he'd commentate games at school etc etc....

To his credit, probably one of the best going around now....

As for the rest, they are all pretty bad....
Probably my favourite. Calls the game. Makes the occasional ok joke.
Gets the basics right.
Doesn't wank on or use all the usual hyperbole or cliche phrases like the rest of them.

My biggest bugbear is the commentators who obsess over private school boys and what Melbourne private school they went to.
Eddie, Luke Darcy, Lingy and Dwayne are the worst offenders here. They just go on and on about it. It's just cringeworthy.

My other bugbear is over hyping players. Everybody is a superstar or elite.
Luke Darcy and Bruce worst offenders here. Painful.

Last edited:

pablo668

Premiership Player
May 3, 2007
Claremont
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
Other than Hudson, everything they say, all the time.

I'm going to sound like an old man on his lawn here, but during the break I watched a ton of old WAFL games from the 70's and 80's. The commentators were just better back then, to my recollection the guys calling games in the VFL at that time were much the same.
Called the game, were professional, everything else was kept to a minimum.

Calling games has reached a real low.

PowerForGood

2020. The year the competition became terminal. Ju
10k Posts
Sep 1, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Lakers, Rabbitohs
The worst most annoying thing I'll hear tonight... every shot on goal that is off line is "coming back, coming back and ..... misses to the left/right"

That, and the team that kicks the first goal has "come to play".

And we're in a crisis because Victoria will have finally realised there are hubs.

Corkintheocean

Premiership Player
Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
The fact their contract with the AFL somehow places the organisation and the state of the game as unquestionable (see the farcical calling of the goal review system).

The sexualisation of players by Bruce.

The lobotomised Jobe Watson now sputtering his way through multi hour broadcasts.

The fact that a guy who glassed his missus and f$%^& another one who was his best mates wife is able to saunter onto the set and be treated reverentially.

I could go on but it's time to switch on the broadcast! :drunk:

Back