Movie Biggest Drop-Off in Quality between a movie and its sequel

Remove this Banner Ad

Firmly disagree with this
Dunno why, the first one was an absolute comical gore fest that knew its limits.

I felt that the sequel was just a cheaper and less interesting bore fest that reached too far for the sake of it whilst trying to match the original. Really did not enjoy it at all. Perhaps it needs time to grow on me but I just cannot be ****ed wasting time on it again.

Two and three had troubled production, was originally supposed to be a long two part movie but was split late.

Anyway, the scene in Japan and the car chase (I still remember the cheesy car chase music) are great, as well as the theme song.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having watched Zombieland: Double Tap last night I would have to say that it deserves a nomination.

I also started to watch Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul the other day but had to turn it off it was so incredibly lame and the acting was terrible whereas the first few were well done with good acting and many genuine lols.
Zombieland 2 was alright

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

National Lampoons Christmas Vacation 2 (2003): Cousin Eddie's Island Adventure

Critical reception[edit]
Mike Stoklasa of RedLetterMedia's show "Best of the Worst" said the film "may have been the worst [he] had ever seen in [his] whole life." The cast ended the Christmas episode of the show by running a DVD copy of the film through a paper shredder, putting the shredded pieces in a Ziploc bag, and mailing them to Warner Bros. Pictures with a letter asking why the film was made

^ They did well, I couldn't even get through to the end of the DVD

Another vote for Zoolander 2, loved Zoolander but I barely raised a chuckle at the sequel, I got more laughs out of Schindler's List.

Anchorman 2 was a bit of a disappointment too compared to the original but still had some funny scenes.

This scene was a classic.

It really fell flat though when they expanded Brick Tamland's role with his love interest played by Kristen Wiig, that killed the laughs stone dead.

Steve Carrell isn't funny at the best of times but my god it was painful when he was shrieking and shouting for a lot longer than should be acceptable.

Thank god for Will Ferrell and Paul Rudd who were still funny enough to overcome that horrendous unfunny s**t.

Surprised no one else has mentioned Revenge of the Nerds 2: Nerds in Paradise

Such a letdown from the classic original.

It didn't even feature the two original nerds as Anthony Edwards literally phoned it in as a ghost or some bullshit as he was too big a star by then.

Some of the old crew was there like Booger but it didn't have that frat house hilarity and nudity of the original.

A few imo's on movies mostly already mentioned.

Jaws: The Revenge gets a pass purely for Michael Caine's response when asked what the hell he was doing in it :

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific."

Superman II
is a mess due changing directors etc but they don't get close to rock bottom until Superman 4, Christopher Reeve is still the perfect embodiment of the comic book Superman but in the final movie it looks more like he's been invited to some teenagers' LARPing event.

Being a little before my time all I ever knew about Saturday Night Fever was John Travolta, disco dancing, shiny suits and flashing lights... and then when I watched it late one night there's actually a real, honest, gritty story about inter-generational culture and adaption, the despair of living in an American recession, racial tensions, the fight for identity, the 'glory days' of your final young adult years....

There's a sequel Staying Alive that suggests all John Travolta knew about Saturday Night Fever was John Travolta, disco dancing, shiny suits and flashing lights.

But in the end there can only be one.

So the star character of your first movie was an Egyptian-born Spaniard who spoke with a thick Scottish accent but you killed him off, which means he can no longer tutor the Scottish-born Highlander who has lived in America so long that he speaks with a French accent. How can your writers create a plausible scenario to bring these two fan favourites back together? A continuation so natural to the audience that it maintains that precious suspension of disbelief?

1580485656572.png

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having watched Zombieland: Double Tap last night I would have to say that it deserves a nomination.

I also started to watch Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul the other day but had to turn it off it was so incredibly lame and the acting was terrible whereas the first few were well done with good acting and many genuine lols.

The problem with resurrecting this franchise was that the actors who played the Hefley family in the first three films plus the other characters (Holly, Patty, Rowley and Rowley's parents etc.) had such great chemistry and brought the characters to life so well that it was strange seeing new actors in the roles of the Hefley family, and characters like Holly and Patty not seen or referenced in the reboot. There is also the timing difference, the original trilogy was made in the late 2000s so characters like Roderick and Greg Hefley along with Rowley, Patty and Holly would all be adults now, with youngest son Manny a teenager. Suddenly its the late 2010s and they are all kids again, plus the overall premise that worked so well a decade earlier is looking dated and out of place now.

Still, despite its failings Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Long Haul did have some good things going for it:

1. Alicia Silverstone is in it
2. Alicia Silverstone is in it
3. Greg constantly and unintentionally annoying the fat guy is funny
4. That deep fried butter on a stick is a thing, and that Roderick felt the need to eat seven of them
5. That Roderick went on a carnival ride after eating seven deep fried butter on a sticks and was sick all over the fat man
6. Alicia Silverstone is in it
7. Frank and Susan Hefley singing along to the Spice Girls in the car to the horror of their sons
8. A pig is won as a carnival prize and causes chaos in the Hefley's car
9. Roderick and Greg are interviewed at the gaming convention they have snuck off to, unaware their parents are watching them on TV
10. Did I mention Alicia Silverstone is in it?

The Toxic Avenger part II.

What a waste of good celluloid. 😢

The original is an awesome movie!

Just read Lethal Weapon 5 is maybe being made. Why? Have MG and DG run out of money

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm keen on a 5th Lethal Weapon, but I do think both are literally too old for this s**t!

Either that, or anything less shitty than 4 will be a better ending.

I thought 4 was pretty good. WILL IT TO ME RIGGS!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

I watch a lot of horror and I will say Descent 2 is not that bad for the genre. I give the first movie a 10 the first time I saw it and then about an 8 on repeat viewings.
The sequel in relation to the original I give a 7.

It carried on perfectly and was only inhibited by the fact we already knew what was down there, though the reveal at the very end was quite unexpected, Texas Chainsaw Massacre like turn.

Hardly a nomination in this thread imo.
I think one of the big issues with the sequel was the lighting. It was like daylight down there where as the first was a lot more dark and claustrophobic.

The Halloweens with Michael Myers after 1 and 2, except H20, then the one following H20.
As it's technically a sequel to the first as well, I really enjoyed Halloween (2018).

But there are some stinkers for sure. The one with the cult? Wut.

As it's technically a sequel to the first as well, I really enjoyed Halloween (2018).

But there are some stinkers for sure. The one with the cult? Wut.

The Halloween timeline is a cluster*. Two different lots of reboots going on.

So is the new one only a sequel to the first movie and not part two?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back