Bigman’s Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

What was Ken's quote about playing injured players in the finals last year?

'If you thought those injured players performed badly, you should have seen the other options we had'

Once you're in finals it is different because it's a binary situation, you just need to win, future benefit doesn't come into the calculation. Whereas earlier in the season, if you can swap the player out and not go backwards ie Dood/Worrell, there's a future benefit because Dood returns closer to his capacity. But we're fixated on continuity so we don't look that far ahead.

And we're denying the player the opportunity to return to a less injured state.

I recall Burgess was a believer in playing through injury to become more resilient, presumably both mentally and physically.

Not sure where that line is on how injured you need to be to be rested vs keep playing.

Yeah, we now have many players that have positional flexibility. But Matt Crouch is not one of them.

The good news is he is VERY good at being the guy who gets the footy first. We just need to never surround him with explosive and or super classy players, and not other slow midfielders who play exactly like him. We've seen that, and it doesn't work.

Also good news, we now have those types of explosive/classy players who we can surround him with to make the most of Matt's talents.

pure inside mid, if he doesn’t get that job done he plays magoos

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Was listening to Skipworth talk about where Pies are at and also last year. He said that they're always developing, looking for improvement, how we play round 1 won't be how we play round 11 and tyat won't be how we play finals. I recall McCrae saying the same midway through last year, they were 'still working out who fits where and how they play' to be their best. So depending on who's available and in what level of form, it's fluid.

Our core strategy is continuity. Continuity in terms of the 23 selected, continuity within game day roles, and continuity in game style. We believe that we need to keep the same people on the park and performing the exact same role for as long as possible to be at our best. And that's why Worrell doesn't play 7ntil Dood is totally shot. If it's a choice between wearing continued poor form from an injured player against bringing in a fit replacement for a couple of games, we choose continuity. And we've been doing this for years.

And Hayden Skipworth is about the most boring sounding person I've ever listened to. No doubt he's good at his job though.
Interesting, I think we play our summer runners early, like Sholl, then our huggers Berry come in winter, and by the end of the season is whoever is still standing, usually the older guys like Sloane.

I'm exaggerating, but there is a rhythm to the season which needs to be tapped into, especially with 25 games to the GF.

Was listening to Skipworth talk about where Pies are at and also last year. He said that they're always developing, looking for improvement, how we play round 1 won't be how we play round 11 and tyat won't be how we play finals. I recall McCrae saying the same midway through last year, they were 'still working out who fits where and how they play' to be their best. So depending on who's available and in what level of form, it's fluid.

Our core strategy is continuity. Continuity in terms of the 23 selected, continuity within game day roles, and continuity in game style. We believe that we need to keep the same people on the park and performing the exact same role for as long as possible to be at our best. And that's why Worrell doesn't play 7ntil Dood is totally shot. If it's a choice between wearing continued poor form from an injured player against bringing in a fit replacement for a couple of games, we choose continuity. And we've been doing this for years.

And Hayden Skipworth is about the most boring sounding person I've ever listened to. No doubt he's good at his job though.
Skipworth should be a target for us

He’s a good coach and that Collingwood IP and train of thought would be nice to have

Just happened to catch a bit of captains run.

Interestingly Taylor was part of the group. May get some game time tomorrow.

Hamill there too - he must be very lucky after the way he played last week.
i couldnt see Soligo but i was only there for a short time. Rob also appeared to be not there

We will know more this afternoon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I recall Burgess was a believer in playing through injury to become more resilient, presumably both mentally and physically.

Not sure where that line is on how injured you need to be to be rested vs keep playing.

No, it was never about 'playing through injury', this has become an AFC urban myth. What he said was that he pushes players to train at high intensity, regardless of injury, so that they can determine their limits. The principle being that if you can train at high intensity whilst carrying injury, then you're ok to play. Whereas, historically, we've placed our injured senior players in cotton wool, hoping they can get the job done on the weekend. Burgess' philisophy is that if you can't continue to train at the intensity required, then there's no hope of you playing at it.

That people have come to interpret that as 'playing injured players is a Burgess philosophy' continues to amuse me.

So likely no debutants or Nank, Cook for round 1. Disappointing result.
I am disappointed that Nank will miss out.

What is the thing with Cook with many posters on this Board. Did anyone watch the Scratchie against Poort Pear let alone Cook’s form in the SANFL for the last three years. But,but,but he has a fantastic highlights reel and I love how he sells candy.

What is the thing with Cook with many posters on this Board. Did anyone watch the Scratchie against Poort Pear let alone Cook’s form in the SANFL for the last three years. But,but,but he has a fantastic highlights reel and I love how he sells candy.
It's hard to look good playing 2's.
Did Murphy or Pedlar tear it up while playing 2's in the trials ?
We are trying to play Cook up forward, if you are hoping to play him in a new position, at least give him a chance to succeed

It's hard to look good playing 2's.
Did Murphy or Pedlar tear it up while playing 2's in the trials ?
We are trying to play Cook up forward, if you are hoping to play him in a new position, at least give him a chance to succeed
Cook started as a forward but couldn’t find the ball.

We moved him to the wing and he couldn’t find the ball.

He looked O.K at half back because the ball came to him but he was a poor defender.

It is Back to the Future, let’s give him a dozen games in the AFL as a forward and see what happen?

Or… he can start to dominate in the Twos and demand selection.

I’m livid if Nank misses.

There’s always one player at AFc that seems to be overlooked for way too long.

First it was Dude, then Woz, now Nank

He looked O.K at half back because the ball came to him but he was a poor defender.

It is Back to the Future, let’s give him a dozen games in the AFL as a forward and see what happen?

He didn't seem to have any difficulty in finding the ball in the one AFL game he got last year.

He's never been played forward, how about giving him a chance if you want to play him in a new position

I still think he will. It's just important he stays switched on mentally.

He's gone from Fringe out of the team to best 22 with midfield potential last year. This year he needs to lock his spot away and not let the next wave of Mid/forwards get a sniff.

Like you alluded to, Schoenberg might not get another solid look. Very unfortunate injury timing

Pedlar spot is locked away at this point, 25 goals as a mid-ranking forward will do that.

I don't think this should be the goal for the year, it would be closer to making a genuine play for Rankine's spot.

How about last year when he had a decent game against Melbourne and was dropped?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back