Bigman’s Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

So Tex only running laps. Can’t see them sending him on a plane

Of course we will. We have:

• A team who hasn't made finals and will likely need early momentum to put 2023 to bed.
  • An unsigned coaching group, i.e. we're in a scenario where the future be damned, jobs need to be saved.
  • Already lost Tex replacement to an LTI.
  • A tough but a quite winnable match up - plus there are certain demons that need to be slayed early, such as this is a team that doesn't travel well.

If Tex is able to run, he's playing. No one at Adelaide can afford to rest Tex at this point to heal up a niggle, especially as it does send the message that we believe this game isn't winnable if we do so.

Last edited:

I remember being there in the 90's watching a Port V Sturt game and a 'woman' with long grey ratty unkempt hair and a duffle coat was standing nearby. In her hair and all over her duffle coat she had badges of all the port players. She screamed abuse at the Sturt players all game. I wondered what rock she had crawled out from under just for the game.

Its truly a special place down there.
We catered there after the grand final and s**t was so bad we got out and vowed never to go back.
People turning on each other, fighting, burning their own flags.

Sprinklers were turned on early in the session to try and replicate Saturday’s conditions. Was interesting to see how they adjusted, early on there was a fair bit of fumbling and mis-kicks as you would expect. I thought they handled it pretty well overall, though I suspect Saturday night will be on another level.

Unfortunately tex left the track early after doing some run throughs and light skills on the sidelines. I thought he looked ok albeit a little stiff so it’ll be intriguing to see what comes of it. Both burgess and gollant featured in the A team during match sim so looks like they’re the fall back options. Was no real way to tell who is preferred over the two for the thilthorpe role, though I think we’re to assume that burgess is the front runner for his experience.

Didn’t appear to be any other major injuries or no-shows. Nank was wearing the orange fluro hat (the non contact one) so clearly still sore from the knock he copped in the trial game.

Interestingly rankine was wearing a yellow fluro hat (the less serious one) and only trained with the forwards. Also left the track a little early although appeared to be moving fine so not sure what the story is there.

Parnell appeared to hurt his finger early in the session but completed the rest without issue.

As for the match sim, which was roughly 20 minutes long, teams were as follows:

A - Jones, Keays, Berry, Crouch, Rachele, Pedlar, Dawson, Michalanney, Hinge, Burgess, Rankine, Worrell, Laird, Milera, Fogarty, Smith, Borlase, Sholl, Butts, O’Brien, Gollant

B - Murphy, Curtin, Sloane, Edwards, Soligo, Cook, Hamill, Taylor, Ryan, McHenry, Nankervis, Dowling, Himmelberg, Gallagher, Parnell, Toby Murray, Bond, Welsh, Strachan, Madgen, Keane

Mostly notably murphy, soligo and keane were in the B team. We would expect all three to play but with borlase and butts in the As I’m curious to see what that means for keane. Could be just a balance thing for training but worth noting anyway. In my view keane is clearly in our current best 22.

Even though the A team unsurprisingly played better I thought the B lads acquitted themselves well and if not for a few costly errors were right in the game. They were well beaten in the midfield but their run and creativity stood out particularly from the likes of curtin, hamill and ned. Wasn’t taking scores but I reckon they would’ve only gone down by a couple goals at most.

One thing I took from today was how good it is to see milera healthy and training fully. His class and composure out there really stands out and will be so important to us if he can stay fit. As much as the likes of smith, hinge and max are good rebounders none of them have junior’s poise.

Also thought pedlar was a stand out today with his movement and intensity. He’s a bit of an enigma - he’s got plenty of class but sometimes you wouldn’t know it given his propensity to make costly errors. Whether it’s fatigue or just a concentration thing it’s really the only major thing holding him back as he has so many weapons.

Anyway, with this being the last major training session before round one, I guess that means it’s unofficially the end of my preseason training reports. I’ll still attend some sessions throughout the year, particularly early on to get an idea of injuries, selection etc but for now the games will do the talking.

I just want to thank everyone for the kind words over the summer. It would appear a number of you really enjoyed my reports and I’m always happy to provide some insight particularly given news can be so scarce during the pre season. I don’t expect all of my observations to be validated this year but I do hope I have given you a picture of how the summer has been for the lads.

Once again thank you and let the games begin.

Sprinklers were turned on early in the session to try and replicate Saturday’s conditions. Was interesting to see how they adjusted, early on there was a fair bit of fumbling and mis-kicks as you would expect. I thought they handled it pretty well overall, though I suspect Saturday night will be on another level.

Unfortunately tex left the track early after doing some run throughs and light skills on the sidelines. I thought he looked ok albeit a little stiff so it’ll be intriguing to see what comes of it. Both burgess and gollant featured in the A team during match sim so looks like they’re the fall back options. Was no real way to tell who is preferred over the two for the thilthorpe role, though I think we’re to assume that burgess is the front runner for his experience.

Didn’t appear to be any other major injuries or no-shows. Nank was wearing the orange fluro hat (the non contact one) so clearly still sore from the knock he copped in the trial game.

Interestingly rankine was wearing a yellow fluro hat (the less serious one) and only trained with the forwards. Also left the track a little early although appeared to be moving fine so not sure what the story is there.

Parnell appeared to hurt his finger early in the session but completed the rest without issue.

A - Jones, Keays, Berry, Crouch, Rachele, Pedlar, Dawson, Michalanney, Hinge, Burgess, Rankine, Worrell, Laird, Milera, Fogarty, Smith, Borlase, Sholl, Butts, O’Brien, Gollant

B - Murphy, Curtin, Sloane, Edwards, Soligo, Cook, Hamill, Taylor, Ryan, McHenry, Nankervis, Dowling, Himmelberg, Gallagher, Parnell, Toby Murray, Bond, Welsh, Strachan, Madgen, Keane

Mostly notably murphy, soligo and keane were in the B team. We would expect all three to play but with borlase and butts in the As I’m curious to see what that means for keane. Could be just a balance thing for training but worth noting anyway. In my view keane is clearly in our current best 22.

Even though the A team unsurprisingly played better I thought the B lads acquitted themselves well and if not for a few costly errors were right in the game. They were well beaten in the midfield but their run and creativity stood out particularly from the likes of curtin, hamill and ned. Wasn’t taking scores but I reckon they would’ve only gone down by a couple goals at most.

One thing I took from today was how good it is to see milera healthy and training fully. His class and composure out there really stands out and will be so important to us if he can stay fit. As much as the likes of smith, hinge and max are good rebounders none of them have junior’s poise.

Also thought pedlar was a stand out today with his movement and intensity. He’s a bit of an enigma - he’s got plenty of class but sometimes you wouldn’t know it given his propensity to make costly errors. Whether it’s fatigue or just a concentration thing it’s really the only major thing holding him back as he has so many weapons.

Anyway, with this being the last major training session before round one, I guess that means it’s unofficially the end of my preseason training reports. I’ll still attend some sessions throughout the year, particularly early on to get an idea of injuries, selection etc but for now the games will do the talking.

I just want to thank everyone for the kind words over the summer. It would appear a number of you really enjoyed my reports and I’m always happy to provide some insight particularly given news can be so scarce during the pre season. I don’t expect all of my observations to be validated this year but I do hope I have given you a picture of how the summer has been for the lads.

How far away do you think Curtin is from a senior debut based on his preseason? I would have loved him to have got a spot this week (I guess he could still?) just to spice things up and give the lad a real confidence boost to start his senior career off.

• A team who hasn't made finals and will likely need early momentum to put 2023 to bed.
  • An unsigned coaching group, i.e. we're in a scenario where the future be damned, jobs need to be saved.
  • A tough but a quite winnable match up - plus there are certain demons that need to be slayed early, such as this is a team that doesn't travel well.

If Tex is able to run, he's playing. No one at Adelaide can afford to rest Tex at this point to heal up a niggle, especially as it does send the message that we believe this game isn't winnable if we do so.
Did you miss the part he’s only running laps due to a back injury? If he’s not joining in training he’s highly unlikely to play because of the same back injury which sitting on a plane wouldn’t help.

Cool that they went as far as replicating the slippery pill. Good way to see who's handling it better after handling a dry ball all summer.

Might come into play for selection tomorrow night.

Top drawer bigman - incredibly good of you to give your time and energy over the summer to give us such a great insight into the progress of the lads. Super grateful.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great work Bigman, appreciate all the effort and next year recommend starting your own thread so the silly’s who have me on ignore don’t miss out.

Hey bigman

Your reports have been great, I share them with mates that don’t “Bigfooty”, has certainly gone a long way to getting us all through the off season.

Looking forward to future thoughts in the GBU threads

Remove this Banner Ad

Back