Player Watch Billy Frampton

Remove this Banner Ad

The Anzac Day game was a ripper, for sure, but it was down the list of most watched games in 2024 for me:
5. Port v Collingwood
4. ANZAC Day
3. Semi Final: Coll v Melb
2. Prelim Final: Coll v GWS
1. Grand Final
Regarding Frampton, I think we and the coaches forgot how important he was last year, especially early, when all of our big men got injured. He stood tall, got the job done and then lost his place when Cox and Cameron came back from injury.

I don't think it's overstating things to suggest that without him, we lose a couple of games and don't finish on top. In a year when every game was a struggle, Frampton was important in the big picture, as were the selections of McStay, Markov and Bobby.
I’d agree with that. But I meant just the last quarter of the Anzac Day game for a 30 minute hit when there wasn’t enough time for a full game.

Just think, he could become our next Ben McKay at one tenth of the price 🤣

Just think, he could become our next Ben McKay at one tenth of the price

I’d certainly like to see him as a regular in defence. He turns 28 after this season but should have plenty of tread left on the tyres. As Howe is nearing the end, and Murphy could retire today and no-one would be shocked, I feel better knowing Frampton is a realistic option.

It may not be Fly’s preference, but in a couple of years the thought of Moore/Frampton/Jiath doesn’t drive me to despair. Even if Jiath doesn’t work out, the third tall spot is easier to recruit to than someone you can play on Daniher/Lynch/etc.

It seems many fans don't watch other teams play. Schultz is a matchwinner and big game performer. He has proven this already. The comments about him being a bad pick and a waste of a first rounder have no idea. Give him time. As long as he is applying the defensive pressure he stays and then the goals will definitely come.
Agree - he hasn’t gelled yet with group yet. He often seems indecisive and lacking confidence as evidenced with his poor DE. But his commitment and work rate are first rate.

He was kept out of the team for round 1 which was a win over the Cats.

Came in to play in defence in rounds 2 and 3, where he played well against Port and Richmond, both at the G. Particularly the Richmond game on Lynch. We won both of those too.

Round 4 he was in defence but we got badly beaten by Brisbane, as we didn’t have a ruckman and our mids were very fumbly.

Then round 5-8 Frampton played ruck and we won every game, and then he didn’t play round 9 at all? I can’t remember if there was a reason or he was just omitted.

Round 9 we smacked the Giants without Frampton in the side, and then we just seemed to forget that he wasn’t actually recruited to play ruck, and that he’d done very well playing as a defender?!

Very strange.
I think we were just forced into using Billy in the ruck because all 3 of our preferred ruck options were out at the same time but I think we recruited him for defence and that,s where he will stay.

For a bloke who has been shifted all over the place he has done a great job for us,as you rightly say there were a number of games where he was absolutely essential to our wins. He is the same age as Moore and we should use him as our 2nd key defender because of the way he plays he should be the 1st bloke pick for any Gorillas in the opposing teams we played as he showed with Daniher he was on his shoulder all night long,he play,s fullback for me until we have a better option and I do not see 1 ATM.

Agree - he hasn’t gelled yet with group yet. He often seems indecisive and lacking confidence as evidenced with his poor DE. But his commitment and work rate are first rate.
The mihocek goal from the mark on the line was a good example of the good and bad we are seeing from Shultz. Started with a dropped simple chest mark, then he dived straight into the contest and ended up winning the ball back and kicking a left foot snap forward tk the goal line

I think we were just forced into using Billy in the ruck because all 3 of our preferred ruck options were out at the same time but I think we recruited him for defence and that,s where he will stay.
I get why we used him in ruck, I thought it was the right move at the time.

I don’t get why he wasn’t moved back to defence once Cox returned to ruck. Murphy came in and played well, but Frampton became a forgotten man.

Sensational game of football, comrade, and Big Billy's goal was magnificent. Something tells me that by the end of the year, the 2023 GF Frampton memes will have completely disappeared.

Whilst I respect the creativity, I hesitate that "Big Bad Bustling Billy" won't catch on; it doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. :)
of course it doesn't roll off the tongue, Quattro-B on the other hand !! ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My most watched replay of last year. Including the GF because it’s a 30 minute snippet of instant joy.
watch it and also have the MMM commentary (video version) running along side ..Daisy up & about like a true Pies fan!!

here you go >>

Last year he was a spare parts man, and while he performed admirably, he always looked shaky to me. The last 2 games however, he’s looked comfortable and confident. He knows when to stick close and when to come off his man, and surprisingly he’s using the ball well, none of those long bomb helicopter kicks I’ve become accustomed to with big defenders.

I’m all for the Frampton love.

But the reality check is that if one of cox or Cameron go down… there’s a chance Billy will play ruck instead of defence.

Dunno. Maybe they’d just roll the dice on Begg… moving Frampton from defence now to cover in ruck would be robbing Peter to pay Paul

That’s possible, but after this year I think they’d bring Steene in.

Last year he was a spare parts man, and while he performed admirably, he always looked shaky to me. The last 2 games however, he’s looked comfortable and confident. He knows when to stick close and when to come off his man, and surprisingly he’s using the ball well, none of those long bomb helicopter kicks I’ve become accustomed to with big defenders.
The most games he has played consecutively in defence for us is 3. Hard to not look shaky in that post, if not given much opportunity to work together with Howe/Moore/Murph/Maynard/IQ/Nobes regularly.

I get why we used him in ruck, I thought it was the right move at the time.

I don’t get why he wasn’t moved back to defence once Cox returned to ruck. Murphy came in and played well, but Frampton became a forgotten man.

My bad, I had a look back and he was injured in training, which is why he didn’t play against the Giants last year in our 5th consecutive victory, when he was playing ruck but doing exceptionally well.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/05...ruck-woes-have-worsened-with-frampton-injury/

Remove this Banner Ad

Back