bigguns

Debutant
Dec 17, 2007
Qld
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Jets
Checked out Black Books the other night - arguably the stupidest show I've ever seen, but piss your pants funny at the same time.

ABC have continued with an excellent Weds comedy lineup with the Practical Guide to Parenting at 830 (I think that's what its called).

Stupid as in silly humour - haha stupid, not pathetically stupid. I'm hooked!!

Very funny! Gotta love Bernard and Many!
My favourite episode is when they write the children's book!

-Ben

"Enjoy. It's dreadful, but quite short".

"You know what you are? You're a beard with an idiot hanging off it".

Manny: There's a girl.
Bernard: A what? You know I don't approve of you seeing other girls- people. Who is she?
Manny: Roweena, a friend of Anne's. I met her once and was hoping to meet her again.
Bernard: Oh, I see.
[Mockingly]
Bernard: Roweena! Roweeeeena! And what am I supposed to do while you're doing the underpants charleston with this insane, blind tart?
Manny: Why are you getting so angry?
Bernard: I can't help being angry when I'm furious! So, before you go off to raise your bearded freak circus, what's she like?
Manny: She's nice.
Bernard: She's nice, she- dont make me sick into my own scorn. What are her prospects? Does she play the viola? Does she embroider? Is she kind to the servants?
Manny: I don't know. All I know is I like her and there's a good chance that she likes me.
Bernard: [Later] Well, we're going to this party because I'm trying to picture this girl who likes you and all I can see is you in a dress.

Bernard: It's all rubbish! Nobody is prepared to admit that wine doesn't have a taste.
Manny: Of course you can't taste anything, you smoke eighty bajillion cigarettes a day. What's that you're eating?
Bernard: It's some sort of delicious biscuit.
Manny: It's a coaster.

Very funny! Gotta love Bernard and Many!
My favourite episode is when they write the children's book!

-Ben
Haha. :thumbsu:

Hillarious.

Manny: (about Bernard's "children's" story) I just have two teeny-weeny suggestions for changes.
Bernard: Which are?
Manny: Well... instead of... the er, academic and the journalist and the daughter. Erm, perhaps it could be about an... elephant?
Bernard: An elephant?
Manny: That's right.
Bernard: I see. (pause). What's your other suggestion?
Manny: Well, instead of the Stalinist purges and the divorce and the investigation, erm, it could be about... losing a balloon

(Log in to remove this ad.)

not sure on the IT crowd, dont find it AS amusing.

Black books is rather funny though, tough one to beat.

BERNARD "look at these people, what do they want"

MANNY "well they want to buy books"

BERNARD "yes but why me, why do they come to meee"

MANNY "well you own a book shop"

*BUMP*

Just wanted to say i am a huge fan of this show. The 3rd episode of the first season "Grapes of Wrath" is one of the funniest episodes on any TV show i have ever watched i think. Some episodes i thought were rather poor but some where absolutely hilarious. Thought it didn't finish too strong which was a bit of a shame but plenty of funny episodes in there. The 'elephant and the hen' where Bernard and Manny write and then burn the childrens book is hilarious and the one with Simon Pegg and Goliath books is fantastic as well.

At the moment, its on on ABC 2 on Tuesday nights.

*Hopefully some other fans turn up after this bump.*

Dylan Moran is the only good part of the show imo. I find it hard to find the other characters funny when they're such bad actors. I realy enjoyed the episode or 2 that Simon Pegg was on it.

Grapes of Wrath and the ep about the childrens book are the best. Also like the one where Manny finds out he can play the piano

I have the box set and love it. Disagree with you there, docker champ29. Manny is a pretty good character and the acting gets better.

Has anyone seen any live stand up shows from those two? I'd be interested to go.

Grapes of Wrath and the ep about the childrens book are the best. Also like the one where Manny finds out he can play the piano
That one is my favourite, with the blind piano teacher, and him hiding in the grand piano playing it with a couple of spoons :)
Has anyone seen any live stand up shows from those two? I'd be interested to go.
Yes, I have Dylan's live stand up show called Monster, it's not bad. He made it just after they finished with Black Books, so it was at the height of his popularity.

There was an old stand-up segment of Moran's I found once. Can't remember where, maybe youtube, I dunno. He was way younger and it was like a uni pub crowd. He started very very slowly, nervous, or just poor delivery, but within the same set he turned it up later and imo the latter part of that set was as funny as anything of his I'd seen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back