Opinion Bloods' leadership - 2024 and beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

What poor choice? Mills didn't jump off a roof for a dare. He didn't stagger half-pissed into trafffic, come off a trail bike or wrestle with cops as they bundled him into a paddy van. Mills had an arm wrestle with another player.

His was an innocuous and unfortunate injury that can happen all too easily doing normal stuff. I know, I've done it. He wouldn't have even been aware of it at the time as it only affects certain movements, like reaching up to a high cupboard.

Cut him some slack. It's hard enough on him without people passing judgement.

It's fine to call it a poor choice. It was a poor choice. The examples you've given are extreme. Arm wrestling a rookie during a mad monday is definitely falling into poor choice category. People will rightly pass judgement on someone who is the captain of a team who has made a poor choice. There's no need to get defensive about calling it out.

It's fine to call it a poor choice. It was a poor choice. The examples you've given are extreme. Arm wrestling a rookie during a mad monday is definitely falling into poor choice category. People will rightly pass judgement on someone who is the captain of a team who has made a poor choice. There's no need to get defensive about calling it out.
I disagree. It was not a poor choice. It was just a poor outcome.
I arm wrestle my brothers every Christmas. It is a tradition. Never has anyone been injured. Water skiing would be more dangerous. Surfing would be more dangerous. Riding a motorcycle would be more dangerous. How many players water ski, surf and ride motorbikes during the offseason? It was an innocuous thing. Some players injure themselves reaching down and picking a child's toy off the ground.
Players need an offseason. They need to relax. They need to let their hair down. Mentally players need it.

I have passed judgement on Mills. Just like Rampe jumping a steel rope. These things are innocuous events 99 times out of a hundred.

I am not being defensive. I am saying they are normal people doing normal things. Supporters have a right to call out whatever they want. Everyone has an opinion. Calling someone out for being normal though is not normal. It was an innocuous thing. But supporters can hold players to a higher level of account than they do themselves.

Last edited:

I disagree. It was not a poor choice. It was just a poor outcome.
I arm wrestle my brothers every Christmas. It is a tradition. Never has anyone been injured. Water skiing would be more dangerous. Surfing would be more dangerous. Riding a motorcycle would be more dangerous. How many players water ski, surf and ride motorbikes during the offseason? It was an innocuous thing. Some players injure themselves reaching down and picking a child's toy off the ground.
Players need an offseason. They need to relax. They need to let their hair down. Mentally players need it.

I have passed judgement on Mills. Just like Rampe jumping a steel rope. These things are innocuous events 99 times out of a hundred.

I am not being defensive. I am saying they are normal people doing normal things. Supporters have a right to call out whatever they want. Everyone has an opinion. Calling someone out for being normal though is not normal. It was an innocuous thing. But supporters can hold players to a higher level of account than they do themselves.

I don't think it's normal for someone like Mills to arm-wrestle, especially likely intoxicated during mad monday celebrations. From all accounts Horse's reaction to the incident tells more about what he & the club have thought about Mills action.

I don't think AFL players should be arm wrestling It's just taking unnecessary risk for an action that is known to cause significant injuries. They're professional sportsmen for a reason, I can think of many things that would bring more enjoyment without carrying the same amount of risk as arm wrestling.

Calling out mills for his poor choice is fair game. Comparing an AFL footballer with ordinary people is a bit far fetched considering their bodies are crucial to their careers.

Bottom line is Horse & others in the club were very disappointed by his action. That should tell something to supporters who are defending or excusing his actions & those who are calling out others who are also disappointed in his actions. I hope Mills recovery is smooth so he can play a role for us next season & eventually reach his AA levels.

I don't think it's normal for someone like Mills to arm-wrestle, especially likely intoxicated during mad monday celebrations. From all accounts Horse's reaction to the incident tells more about what he & the club have thought about Mills action.

I don't think AFL players should be arm wrestling It's just taking unnecessary risk for an action that is known to cause significant injuries. They're professional sportsmen for a reason, I can think of many things that would bring more enjoyment without carrying the same amount of risk as arm wrestling.

Calling out mills for his poor choice is fair game. Comparing an AFL footballer with ordinary people is a bit far fetched considering their bodies are crucial to their careers.

Bottom line is Horse & others in the club were very disappointed by his action. That should tell something to supporters who are defending or excusing his actions & those who are calling out others who are also disappointed in his actions. I hope Mills recovery is smooth so he can play a role for us next season & eventually reach his AA levels.

Yep. I agree with this.

I have also wondered what the reaction would have been if Konstanty had been the injured player.

Happy to agree to disagree. I like reading your posts Nuggetz. No disrespect intended.

I doubt that would have changed anything. Horse would have still been disappointed with the outcome. Supporters would be also disappointed with the outcome.

I expect the criticism of Mills would have been stronger

From Whom? Horse or supporters? Or both? And on what basis? It was an innocuous activity.

It clearly was not innocuous.

I expect the media would would have been scathing and the Club even crankier.

The media are if not sensationalist with anything they can get. I dare say you are venturing into that territory too. Making a mountain out of a mole hill.

I daresay you will keep minimising a mad Monday incident that clearly was not innocuous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I daresay you will keep minimising a mad Monday incident that clearly was not innocuous.
Probably embarrassed for injuring himself in a dumb innocuous incident. Not surprising. I would too in the same circumstances.
I daresay I will keep saying it was an innocuous incident that had a bad outcome. That is what I will continue to say.

Mills is an admirable person. He was drafted as a midfielder. He played down back mostly in the first 6 years of his career. He has played since in the guts admirably. He has led the side. He has played forward and done very well. He can play anywhere. Because he takes on challenges in his life. Testing himself. Putting himself in unfamiliar situations. He is adaptable because of that.

He is not a clone captain that stands by a watches others. He doesn't sit and think about the possible ramifications of a particular situation and let it pass him by in the moment because he has not evaluated all of the possible ramifications of every possible action. If he did that he would not be playing for the Swans. He would be watching them instead like the rest of us.

No. He dives right in and has a crack. He did that on mad Monday and I will back him in on whatever decision he makes in the future. He is our captain and leads by his actions.

You want a pretty captain. Go down to the dress shop.
I will take him anyway any day the way he is. I know he will give 100%.

I've done a rotator cuff injury and I can tell you, it is the most innocuous injury anyone can experience. As innocuous as rolling an ankle while walking or nicking a bit of skin shaving. It feels like nothing at the time but it leads to an injury that's hard to heal.

When a rotator cuff injury happens, there's no warning of pain. There's hardly anything to indicate an injury has happened, until one tries to do certain movements, like reaching up. Those lucky enough to have never had a rotator cuff injury may assume "He must have been doing something stupid" Sadly, when a woman is assaulted there are always some who say "she must have done something to encourage it". Or when something breaks they assume someone broke it. Well, guess what Sherlock, sometimes bad s**t just happens.

Mills was doing nothing more than the sort of activity any player might engage in during a bit of bonding with teammates. He wasn't involved in dangerous acitivities, nor was he taking the sort of risks he would take every day at training. A rotator cuff injury is the bad luck equivalent of being hit by a piece of metal falling from an aircraft - even then I suspect some would chastise him for not wearing a suit of armour.

Mills didn't downplay the incident. Quite the opposite. He was clearly distraught at thinking he'd let his team down, when all he did was have a low key muck around with teammates in a safe environment, yet he took ownership and publicly apologised with heartfelt humility. That tells me all I need to know. Great leaders are hardest on themselves, and he clearly cares about this club.

Mills already feels like s**t about it. He's suffered the ignominy of being judged by the sort of wank@rs in the media who try to make themselves look bigger by pulling others down. Mills doesn't need fans jumping on soap boxes to chastise him further. While he's trying to get back to full fitness, he could do with our solidarity and support. You can bet his teammates immediately got around him. And for those who say "He's a professional so he's fair game". That's too close to the pathetic argument used to justify booing Goodes.

I'm not defending Mills. I'm asking for a fair go. I know the injury only too well so I can put myself in his shoes. I understand why fans feel disappointed. I do too. But feeling let down doesn't excuse passing judgement on another. We should extend our compassion towards a true champion of our club. Strong people don't pull others down, they lift them up.

I've done a rotator cuff injury and I can tell you, it is the most innocuous injury anyone can experience. As innocuous as rolling an ankle while walking or nicking a bit of skin shaving. It feels like nothing at the time but it leads to an injury that's hard to heal.

When a rotator cuff injury happens, there's no warning of pain. There's hardly anything to indicate an injury has happened, until one tries to do certain movements, like reaching up. Those lucky enough to have never had a rotator cuff injury may assume "He must have been doing something stupid" Sadly, when a woman is assaulted there are always some who say "she must have done something to encourage it". Or when something breaks they assume someone broke it. Well, guess what Sherlock, sometimes bad s**t just happens.

Mills was doing nothing more than the sort of activity any player might engage in during a bit of bonding with teammates. He wasn't involved in dangerous acitivities, nor was he taking the sort of risks he would take every day at training. A rotator cuff injury is the bad luck equivalent of being hit by a piece of metal falling from an aircraft - even then I suspect some would chastise him for not wearing a suit of armour.

Mills didn't downplay the incident. Quite the opposite. He was clearly distraught at thinking he'd let his team down, when all he did was have a low key muck around with teammates in a safe environment, yet he took ownership and publicly apologised with heartfelt humility. That tells me all I need to know. Great leaders are hardest on themselves, and he clearly cares about this club.

Mills already feels like s**t about it. He's suffered the ignominy of being judged by the sort of wank@rs in the media who try to make themselves look bigger by pulling others down. Mills doesn't need fans jumping on soap boxes to chastise him further. While he's trying to get back to full fitness, he could do with our solidarity and support. You can bet his teammates immediately got around him. And for those who say "He's a professional so he's fair game". That's too close to the pathetic argument used to justify booing Goodes.

I'm not defending Mills. I'm asking for a fair go. I know the injury only too well so I can put myself in his shoes. I understand why fans feel disappointed. I do too. But feeling let down doesn't excuse passing judgement on another. We should extend our compassion towards a true champion of our club. Strong people don't pull others down, they lift them up.
Most of us have experienced both types of people.
Strong people standing by you and helping out when you need it.
Weak people having a laugh or criticizing when you may have misfortune or f**k up.

i think people who think this was not an innocuous incident don't truly understand Mills. Mills, and people like him, has an inbuilt radar that would not allow him do something illegal or something knowingly affecting the team. Even drunk I reckon his radar would be on.

Mills would be harder on himself than any criticism. He will come back from this injury wiser and more determined I reckon.

He won't like being on the sidelines. He will come back just in time for a run at the finals.

Sometimes misfortune opens opportunities. A fit and firing and fresh Mills assaulting the finals.

I like it.

I reckon the every child wins a prize mentality needs to shift. Counting the 3 skips there were iirc 10 in the LG.

When I started this thread it was with the idea of relieving some of the burden on Parker and Rampe who would take on more mentoring. The Mills injury may have stiffed whatever plans the Club had in mind.

I am guessing the captaincy triumvirate will remain, not least because Mills won't be playing until well into the season.

In every public utterance Adams and Grundy have shown they will be important on field leaders. It seems they (and Jordon) are also making great impressions on the track. I doubt either want a LG.role but on game day both will have crucial leadership roles in organising the mids.

On ground in 2023 it was obvious McLean and Gulden were natural leaders and it seems according to the coaches both are incredibly diligent in training and prep.

Personally I hope there is a hard rationalisation of the leadership arrangements.

I'd now be happy if they kept the three skips and appointed Gulden and McLean as vice captains.

I've been a fan since before he was even on our list but I must be missing where McLean has shown leadership potential.
What behaviours would you want to see to suggest leadership potential?
Here's something that you (and anyone) could measure against:

Personally I think McLean is leadership group material because of the values he demonstrates but probably not captaincy material because he's not demonstrative enough.

Personally I think McLean is leadership group material because of the values he demonstrates but probably not captaincy material because he's not demonstrative enough.
It's not that there's a case against McLean's leadership potential. I'm just not really sure what the case for it is.

Take that piece you linked, which was an interesting read. I think we can say with reasonable confidence that McLean checks only one of those five boxes. That being passion & commitment, from all accounts (Dermott Brereton right through to Horse & co's words on him. His journey onto an AFL list is itself a testament to that.)

The rest - how effective he is at communicating, how positive his attitude is, how self and socially-aware he is - is really just guesswork from our vantage point, not being within the four walls of the club or knowing the guy personally.

To me McLean is a solid role player at the top of his game. He is inspiring to his team mates because he continually delivers. Every game. Love the bloke. I think he is still improving. He has traits that help captaincy.

Leadership material? I think we have better. And that is not diminishing his input to the leadership, nor his leadership around the club as an example of what it takes and what you can achieve. He is a walking talking example of leadership.

Lots of potential captains at our club. We are a club that is stable. That means we pick captain/s and they stay captain until a suitable captain takes over. We have just added huge experience in the ruck and Midfield that are also potential captaincy material. I don't think we lack leadership or potential captains.

I think having leadership potential in lots of players is more important than trying to identify your next captain/s.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back