Opinion Bloods' leadership - 2024 and beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not that there's a case against McLean's leadership potential. I'm just not really sure what the case for it is.

Take that piece you linked, which was an interesting read. I think we can say with reasonable confidence that McLean checks only one of those five boxes. That being passion & commitment, from all accounts (Dermott Brereton right through to Horse & co's words on him. His journey onto an AFL list is itself a testament to that.)

The rest - how effective he is at communicating, how positive his attitude is, how self and socially-aware he is - is really just guesswork from our vantage point, not being within the four walls of the club or knowing the guy personally.
I get the "vibe" that he's decent at those last 4 though not necessarily outstanding. Communication is the thing we see least. The others I think we have seen some evidence.
I'm not pushing his trolley as a captain and with two or three captains I'm not in favour of vice captains but I think he could be a good addition to the leadership group, depending on who else there is.

Mcleans last game was outstanding and his season built nicely but he is like 2-3 dud performances from being dropped. Hardly cemented yet.

That makes it hard to be a leader, but if he has the 2024 we expect then it's a different story

To me McLean is a solid role player at the top of his game. He is inspiring to his team mates because he continually delivers. Every game. Love the bloke. I think he is still improving. He has traits that help captaincy.

Leadership material? I think we have better. And that is not diminishing his input to the leadership, nor his leadership around the club as an example of what it takes and what you can achieve. He is a walking talking example of leadership.

Lots of potential captains at our club. We are a club that is stable. That means we pick captain/s and they stay captain until a suitable captain takes over. We have just added huge experience in the ruck and Midfield that are also potential captaincy material. I don't think we lack leadership or potential captains.

I think having leadership potential in lots of players is more important than trying to identify your next captain/s.

He has set high standards for himself … I want leaders who walk the talk. McLean and Gulden are both very hard trainers. Both are well placed to call out laxity. I am drawn to the notion of the vc’s being hard but fair. enforcers. I also like the idea of the white collar nob types having a VC while the blue collar guys can see how one of their own can continually improve.

Id add that both lads seem very smart players. Errol of course also happens to possess great ability.

Based on the training video the Swans put out recently with the footage from the team photo day, Mills, Parker and Rampe were the closest to Horse in the photo which is usually where the captains sit so I suspect an unchanged 3-man co-captaincy again this season

It's not that there's a case against McLean's leadership potential. I'm just not really sure what the case for it is.

Take that piece you linked, which was an interesting read. I think we can say with reasonable confidence that McLean checks only one of those five boxes. That being passion & commitment, from all accounts (Dermott Brereton right through to Horse & co's words on him. His journey onto an AFL list is itself a testament to that.)

The rest - how effective he is at communicating, how positive his attitude is, how self and socially-aware he is - is really just guesswork from our vantage point, not being within the four walls of the club or knowing the guy personally.
McLean stays in Sydney to work on his craft instead of travelling. Going the extra mile.

I thought they'd announce the new leadership group at last night's Guernsey presentation

Presumably it might happen next week in week leading into OR?

I learned something very interesting today....

I was at the Reserves and I took the opportunity to ask Jarrad McVeigh whether we've named our leadership group yet. He said we had. I asked who were they? He said "we're keeping it under wraps". I thought he was joking and said, "why's that?" or something similar. He started saying something vague and then I realised he might be serious and I said "for real?" and he just said "yeah" and I didn't press it further.

In hindsight, I wish I had pressed further because it seems pretty strange. But when I'm talking to the people at the club and (hopefully) gleaning some intel, I try not to be too pushy because I don't want them to feel annoyed I got them to say more than they were comfortable with.

Why don't we want to announce our leadership group? Are there unexpected people there? Are we afraid of reaction - if so from who? Fans? Media? Are we afraid that it will advantage oppositions to know?? Just seems really strange to me. Do we even know who is captaining the team at the moment except that Rampe has been doing the coin toss? I think someone needs to ask Horse about this at the next presser.

I learned something very interesting today....

I was at the Reserves and I took the opportunity to ask Jarrad McVeigh whether we've named our leadership group yet. He said we had. I asked who were they? He said "we're keeping it under wraps". I thought he was joking and said, "why's that?" or something similar. He started saying something vague and then I realised he might be serious and I said "for real?" and he just said "yeah" and I didn't press it further.

In hindsight, I wish I had pressed further because it seems pretty strange. But when I'm talking to the people at the club and (hopefully) gleaning some intel, I try not to be too pushy because I don't want them to feel annoyed I got them to say more than they were comfortable with.

Why don't we want to announce our leadership group? Are there unexpected people there? Are we afraid of reaction - if so from who? Fans? Media? Are we afraid that it will advantage oppositions to know?? Just seems really strange to me. Do we even know who is captaining the team at the moment except that Rampe has been doing the coin toss? I think someone needs to ask Horse about this at the next presser.
Curiouser and curiouser. In the absence of facts conspiracies flourish.

I'm going to write and ask a journo or two to put the question. Hopefully we'll find out more on Wednesday or later this week. I'm slightly hesitating to put heat on our own club but I figure they can deal with the questions and they either will or won't give some answers.

I'm going to write and ask a journo or two to put the question. Hopefully we'll find out more on Wednesday or later this week. I'm slightly hesitating to put heat on our own club but I figure they can deal with the questions and they either will or won't give some answers.
Hopefully not at the post match. That would not be good.

Possibly protecting one or two removed or Errol being elevated. May have moved from popularity contest elections or reduced the numbers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i assume mills is captain for the foreseeable future
from what i see on the field, gulden is already a natural leader and mclean, in different ways, shows the same leadership, in that there seems an air about him the players respond to
and he seems to point well
the bloke i've been talking up for a while as a potential captain is campbell, and i think as he grows in confidence and stature in the team that leadership potential will emerge more clearly

i assume mills is captain for the foreseeable future
from what i see on the field, gulden is already a natural leader and mclean, in different ways, shows the same leadership, in that there seems an air about him the players respond to
and he seems to point well
the bloke i've been talking up for a while as a potential captain is campbell, and i think as he grows in confidence and stature in the team that leadership potential will emerge more clearly
Agree with the first three but I think Tom McCartin is showing more leadership potential than Campbell.
He captained the team in the preseason game against Brisbane and I've been watching closely. Had a poor one Saturday but otherwise his behaviours have been top notch.
Still wondering why we haven't seen the new leadership group. 🤔

Agree with the first three but I think Tom McCartin is showing more leadership potential than Campbell.
He captained the team in the preseason game against Brisbane and I've been watching closely. Had a poor one Saturday but otherwise his behaviours have been top notch.

It’s related to the injuries to Mills and Parker, as we are basically running with half our leadership group currently. They are getting those dropped from the leadership group for this year to step up on match day until the injured group are all mostly back as it contains most of our leadership group.

The group size has dropped from 8 to 7 and Buddy is an absolute out from last years group.

yes, i thought about mccartin, and he does have those on-field qualities
but watch campbell closely, it's there ... he's a leader of this group, or is becoming one ... whether he gets the 'c' is not really relevant

i wonder if it's so secret the players themselves don't know ... only "the chosen few" ... and they have a secret handshake

Lol. Masons v Knights of the Southern Cross!

Sixty odd years ago some intra club scratch matches pitted Prods v Micks. Of course some Clubs were not keen on having Catholics on their list so they could not do this.

Happily South was not a hotbed of sectarianism.

I get the "vibe" that he's decent at those last 4 though not necessarily outstanding. Communication is the thing we see least. The others I think we have seen some evidence.
I'm not pushing his trolley as a captain and with two or three captains I'm not in favour of vice captains but I think he could be a good addition to the leadership group, depending on who else there is.

Has been carrying plenty of media load and doing it well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back