Opinion Bloods' leadership - 2024 and beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Jimmy 'the adult in the room' Rowbottom is a genuine future captaincy candidate. Ditto Tommy McCartin. Maybe even Dossa one day. They're all still under 25 years old.

Plus, there's Chad. I wouldn't really pick him as captaincy material myself but the thing that gives me pause is that he said he wanted to be captain of the club one day in his first year. He has backed it up on the field more than anyone ever expected. He could perhaps be the type of captain who leads by example. I don't think he's nearly there but I don't exclude that he could get there.

Also there's nothing to say we have to keep having 3 captains. We could have two, or one and a vice-captain, at least for a while.

I think Jimmy 'the adult in the room' Rowbottom is a genuine future captaincy candidate. Ditto Tommy McCartin. Maybe even Dossa one day. They're all still under 25 years old.

Plus, there's Chad. I wouldn't really pick him as captaincy material myself but the thing that gives me pause is that he said he wanted to be captain of the club one day in his first year. He has backed it up on the field more than anyone ever expected. He could perhaps be the type of captain who leads by example. I don't think he's nearly there but I don't exclude that he could get there.

Also there's nothing to say we have to keep having 3 captains. We could have two, or one and a vice-captain, at least for a while.
I can see Tommy and Chad as captains. Chad takes ownership in the midfield. Tommy rules down back.

I can see Tommy and Chad as captains. Chad takes ownership in the midfield. Tommy rules down back.
I'm going to draw some fire.
Errol is the most obvious candidate but I reckon there are two fellows who are headed in the right direction. McLean (notes nodding heads) and Sheldrick (drowning in screams of WTF?). Gus has risen to every challenge put in front of him so far in his footy life. Way too soon yet but I can imagine in 5 years if his footy progresses as we hope....
Down back Tommy is definitely the most obvious candidate. The other 3 are students of the game. I don't know if Tom is, or even needs to be.

Errol is the most obvious candidate but I reckon there are two fellows who are headed in the right direction. McLean (notes nodding heads) and Sheldrick (drowning in screams of WTF?). Gus has risen to every challenge put in front of him so far in his footy life. Way too soon yet but I can imagine in 5 years if his footy progresses as we hope....
Down back Tommy is definitely the most obvious candidate. The other 3 are students of the game. I don't know if Tom is, or even needs to be.
I agree re Gus. But 5 years is a long way out. I thought we were talking 2-3 with regard to replacing who we have now.

I can't see the point of discussing Gus until he plays first regular. McLean I can see very easily.

I’m a bit old school, Reckon we should have only 1 captain. Guys can be the lead of forwards,mids backs but 1 captain only. I would keep it with an older player as giving it to Errol now might put too much pressure on him. Let him play his role with freedom for the time being.

In 3 years or so give it to Errol - the epitome of a Blood.

Listening to the interviews with Grundy and Adams posted on the club website two things emerge for me:

1. The senior management of the club (Harley, Longmire, Gardiner etc) is excellent and consistently impresses people and helps us bring the likes of Grundy and Adams to the club.

2. Having some quality, experienced players like Grundy, Adams and also Hamling will really help with our onfield leadership provided they can gel and work together. But they seem like types that have their heads screwed on tight (not prima donna types) and will hopefully do just that, and help smooth the transition from Rampe and Parker.

In the coming season, it wouldn't surprise me if we don't change the captaincy. I doubt we will move to Mills as solo captain given that we already know he may miss a significant chunk of the season. It would be premature to hand the leadership to one of the new arrivals. It's also probably too soon to lump the captaincy on someone like Errol or McCartin or Rowbottom. So, while Parker and Rampe are very much at the back end of their careers and shouldn't be guaranteed selection, I can see that we might stick with them one more season. However, if there were the right players to take over the captaincy I would support a transition. And possibly there is a player I'm overlooking or underestimating and maybe we will have a change. I'm open to see what happens.

Listening to the interviews with Grundy and Adams posted on the club website two things emerge for me:

1. The senior management of the club (Harley, Longmire, Gardiner etc) is excellent and consistently impresses people and helps us bring the likes of Grundy and Adams to the club.

2. Having some quality, experienced players like Grundy, Adams and also Hamling will really help with our onfield leadership provided they can gel and work together. But they seem like types that have their heads screwed on tight (not prima donna types) and will hopefully do just that, and help smooth the transition from Rampe and Parker.

In the coming season, it wouldn't surprise me if we don't change the captaincy. I doubt we will move to Mills as solo captain given that we already know he may miss a significant chunk of the season. It would be premature to hand the leadership to one of the new arrivals. It's also probably too soon to lump the captaincy on someone like Errol or McCartin or Rowbottom. So, while Parker and Rampe are very much at the back end of their careers and shouldn't be guaranteed selection, I can see that we might stick with them one more season. However, if there were the right players to take over the captaincy I would support a transition. And possibly there is a player I'm overlooking or underestimating and maybe we will have a change. I'm open to see what happens.
Add KB to your point one. That Hamling fondly remembered a conversation from 12 years ago is something. I have every hope that Cameron will be good but I think it's easy to underestimate Charlie.
I think it's quite likely we will stick with the same captaincy arrangement for 2024. I'm really unsure who fits between them and Errol. No-one evokes the Eureka reaction.

Dump Rampe, game's gone past him. Dump Mills, has some growing up to do.

Maybe stay with Parker for continuity.

The obvious candidate is Papley. He's our barometer and gamebreaker already - the roles that vastly more talented players like Heeney and Mills should be playing. We all love his passion and intensity and he has the ability to bring it when the team needs him. Paps for cap'n for mine.

Rowbo and Blakey not far away.

Gulden's the long-term captain. He'll be in the leadership group next year, but give him a couple more years before we thrust captainncy on him.
I think Gulden is already leading. He leads from the front. Then he talks to players about what is going on. He has a really sharp footy intellect. He is a player in a hundred years. This guy has footy smarts. I would make him captain now. He is one who is capable of carrying the responsibility effectively.

On CPH2471 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think Gulden is already leading. He leads from the front. Then he talks to players about what is going on. He has a really sharp footy intellect. He is a player in a hundred years. This guy has footy smarts. I would make him captain now. He is one who is capable of carrying the responsibility effectively.

I'm not interested in dumping the load of captaincy and the extra responsibilities that come with it on a 21yo. Give him time to build and become a genuinely elite player before you dump this responsibility on him. Anyone under 24 imo is far too young and hasn't been in the system long enough.

No question he's capable of the job right now. Amazing to think he's only played for three years. I'm more thinking about how much responsibility you put on his shoulders while he's still developing his game, especially this year when he's going to get huge amount of attention from opposition. It might be coaches hold him back another year or two.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blakey standout option after mills.

I'll bet my house on a Blakey & Gulden captaincy after Mills.

I'm bullish on Blakey too. He went through the swans system & has been involved with the club since he was a young lad. He has a long term contract after successfully nailing down a position. He's had ups & downs in his young career, so shows great resilience to finally cement a spot. He speaks well in front of the media & looks to be involved in swans off-field functions/activities. He has a strong bond with other players & had more on-field leadership involvement after our defence was decimated with injuries.

I think in 2-3 years we'll see him be elevated to the VC position with long term goal of Captain. He'll be 26 yo by that age, 150+ games of experience (hopefully). Imo hitting the sweet spot as a player. I'm on the Blakey captaincy bandwagon.

I'm bullish on Blakey too. He went through the swans system & has been involved with the club since he was a young lad. He has a long term contract after successfully nailing down a position. He's had ups & downs in his young career, so shows great resilience to finally cement a spot. He speaks well in front of the media & looks to be involved in swans off-field functions/activities. He has a strong bond with other players & had more on-field leadership involvement after our defence was decimated with injuries.

I think in 2-3 years we'll see him be elevated to the VC position with long term goal of Captain. He'll be 26 yo by that age, 150+ games of experience (hopefully). Imo hitting the sweet spot as a player. I'm on the Blakey captaincy bandwagon.
I will be very happy if you're correct. My only worry is that he may be too much of larrikin. If he knows when to be serious then all good.

I will be very happy if you're correct. My only worry is that he may be too much of larrikin. If he knows when to be serious then all good.

I'm not worried about his behaviour impacting on his potential captaincy credentials considering we're still comfortable with Mills being our captain even after his poor choices.

I'm not worried about his behaviour impacting on his potential captaincy credentials considering we're still comfortable with Mills being our captain even after his poor choices.
Being a larrikin is fine at an appropriate time. Might even be a positive. But there are times to be serious. Wouldn't bother comparing.

Gulden easily holds the top spot for captain-in-waiting. It's just a question of whether the coaches want to continue down the multiple captain path. And whether they're specifically wedded to the 3 captain model.

I can see Gulden step in once either (or both) Parker and Rampe relinquish the position. If that happens in 2025 I can see Gulden stepping in and being co-captain with Mills. If the coaches think it's too soon for Gulden then they either keep Mills as sole captain, or they promote someone else with leadership qualities (Rowbottom, McLean, McCartin etc.) until they feel Gulden is old enough.

What poor choice? Mills didn't jump off a roof for a dare. He didn't stagger half-pissed into trafffic, come off a trail bike or wrestle with cops as they bundled him into a paddy van. Mills had an arm wrestle with another player.

His was an innocuous and unfortunate injury that can happen all too easily doing normal stuff. I know, I've done it. He wouldn't have even been aware of it at the time as it only affects certain movements, like reaching up to a high cupboard.

Cut him some slack. It's hard enough on him without people passing judgement.

We should make Ladhams captain. It'll give him something to do while he's suspended.

bwahahaha … wow…. Coffee does really clear the sinuses.

Imagine the alt world where Pete would be recognised as a natural leader. The Wachowskis (sp?) would have a massive hit if they turned this into a series or movie franchise.

bwahahaha … wow…. Coffee does really clear the sinuses.

Imagine the alt world where Pete would be recognised as a natural leader. The Wachowskis (sp?) would have a massive hit if they turned this into a series or movie franchise.
I was digging into the games of 2023 replays to watch a bit of footy the other night. It was sad to see how bad Ladhams could be sometimes. In the first half he made the ball look like a greased piglet, he couldn't pick it up, he couldn't mark it and I guess he didn't have the heart to kick a cute little piglet. In a word, he was bloody awful. What made it worse was we really needed talls, with eight key position players injured. After Amartey went down against Richmond, we played Gould as sub but relied on a stellar game from Nick Blakey (13 intercepts, 8 1%ers, 524 metres gained and 28 effetive disposals), plenty of metres gained by Gulden and Warner plus a Tom Papley six goal fest to get us the win. The week after we played Francis too, but the Cats shut down our remaining talls, shut down Blakey, Papley, Heeney and kept our mids quiet. Only Hayward scored multiple goals as they cut us to pieces.

I haven't replayed the Swans-Tigers 2nd half yet and I can't recall if Ladhams does any better, but with no Nank the Tank to combat he should've been busting Tigers' heads. Instead he played like a sheep, lying on the ground whining to an umpire that Jack Reiwoldt put a knee into his back in a marking contest. Ladhams needs to sharpen his ball skills and play tough, not as a thug, but he needs to learn that aggression is good and anger is bad.

As an aside, the umpiring in the Adelaide in Round 5 was typically biased against us, even though we played Richmond. How was Reiwoldt holding Lloyd out with an elbow into his face not a free? That one cost us a goal and a free. Then there was the incident with the advertising on the goal post coming loose and costing LLoyd a goal. That was simply unprofessional.

Like the incredibly biased calls in the second half of the contentious R23 Crows game, we regularly get shafted in Adelaide. So when a single goal umpiring error falls our way why would anyone seriously give a toss for the whining Crows? Yet the AFL media got stuck into us as if we'd cheated and the AFL hands them a cushy draw as compensation for umpiring bias going the wrong way, just the once. I hope we beat the crap out of Adelaide both times we play them this year. I hope we beat them so badly that the trauma is seared into their collective psyche, like a Don Pyke off-season campout. I hope we do just as much psychological damage to their fans, so they can't bring themselves to watch another Adelaide game. We need to make the Adelaide Crows our bitches.

Aaah, that feels better :devil:

Last edited:
I was digging into the games of 2023 replays to watch a bit of footy the other night. It was sad to see how bad Ladhams could be sometimes. In the first half he made the ball look like a greased piglet, he couldn't pick it up, he couldn't mark it and I guess he didn't have the heart to kick a cute little piglet. In a word, he was bloody awful. What made it worse was we really needed talls, with eight key position players injured. After Amartey went down against Richmond, we played Gould as sub but relied on a stellar game from Nick Blakey (13 intercepts, 8 1%ers, 524 metres gained and 28 effetive disposals), plenty of metres gained by Gulden and Warner plus a Tom Papley six goal fest to get us the win. The week after we played Francis too, but the Cats shut down our remaining talls, shut down Blakey, Papley, Heeney and kept our mids quiet. Only Hayward scored multiple goals as they cut us to pieces.

I haven't replayed the Swans-Tigers 2nd half yet and I can't recall if Ladhams does any better, but with no Nank the Tank to combat he should've been busting Tigers' heads. Instead he played like a sheep, lying on the ground whining to an umpire that Jack Reiwoldt put a knee into his back in a marking contest. Ladhams needs to sharpen his ball skills and play tough, not as a thug, but he needs to learn that aggression is good and anger is bad.

As an aside, the umpiring in the Adelaide in Round 5 was typically biased against us, even though we played Richmond. How was Reiwoldt holding Lloyd out with an elbow into his face not a free? That one cost us a goal and a free. Then there was the incident with the advertising on the goal post coming loose and costing LLoyd a goal. That was simply unprofessional.

Like the incredibly biased calls in the second half of the contentious R23 Crows game, we regularly get shafted in Adelaide. So when a single goal umpiring error falls our way why would anyone seriously give a toss for the whining Crows? Yet the AFL media got stuck into us as if we'd cheated and the AFL hands them a cushy draw as compensation for umpiring bias going the wrong way, just the once. I hope we beat the crap out of Adelaide both times we play them this year. I hope we beat them so badly that the trauma is seared into their collective psyche, like a Don Pyke off-season campout. I hope we do just as much psychological damage to their fans, so they can't bring themselves to watch another Adelaide game. We need to make the Adelaide Crows our bitches.

Aaah, that feels better :devil:
You're on fire today Mr Duck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back