- Availability: to be assessed following the Club’s Round 14 bye

Adam Cerra (hamstring)

David Cuningham (calf)

Player

Injury

Update

Matt CarrollGroinRemains on a modified program for at least another month due to groin soreness.(Update: 30 April)
Adam CerraHamstringAvailability: to be assessed following the Club's Round 14 bye. (Update: 28 May)
Matthew CottrellFootUnderwent scans which revealed navicular stress reaction. Club will work through rehabilitation plan in coming weeks.
Availability: to be reassessed following the Club's Round 14 bye. (Update: 14 May)
David CuninghamCalfAvailability: to be assessed following the Club's Round 14 bye. (Update: 28 May)
Sam DochertyKneeSuffered a ruptured ACL and torn meniscus in his right knee. (Update: 9 March)
Jack MartinCalfAvailability: to be assessed following the Club's Round 14 bye. (Update: 28 May)
Hudson O'KeeffeHamstringExperienced a high-grade hamstring strain at training on Sunday.
Availability: 8-12 weeks. (Update: 14 May)
Marc PittonetFingerDid not require surgery.
Availability: 1-2 weeks. (Update: 28 May)
Jack SilvagniKneeHas begun initial stages of rehab following surgery. (Update: 21 February)

IE: Hamstring injuries (19.1 missed games/club/season in 2015)
And
Over the last 20 years, the average number of new hamstring injuries has remained high at 5.9 and 6.2 per club for 10 and 20 years respectively.
Another source
Hamstring injuries are observed to result at a rate of 6.1 per club annually, with a recurring rate of nearly 1 in 4.

If the average is 19.1 games per season since 2015, do you know which clubs have scored above average during that time?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Everyone is screaming for a review but Cook already held a review of the high performance department st the end of last year, and Russell was given a please explain.

If things don't turn around, ie we don't have our proven players available at the end of the year, there won't be a second review.

IE: Hamstring injuries (19.1 missed games/club/season in 2015)
And
Over the last 20 years, the average number of new hamstring injuries has remained high at 5.9 and 6.2 per club for 10 and 20 years respectively.
Another source
Hamstring injuries are observed to result at a rate of 6.1 per club annually, with a recurring rate of nearly 1 in 4.
Hamstrings 2024. Some of the weeks may not be correct as its mostly off the top of my head, but wouldn't be far off. Happy to be corrected.
Mitch McGovern - 3 weeks
Adam Cerra - 3 weeks and 3 weeks
Jesse Motlop - 4 weeks?
Hudson O'Keefe - 8 weeks
Adam Saad - 5 weeks
Jack Martin - 3 Weeks?

28 weeks after round 9 vs 19 for a season. That's absolutely cooked if the above are the averages.

Hamstrings 2024. Some of the weeks may not be correct as its mostly off the top of my head, but wouldn't be far off. Happy to be corrected.
Mitch McGovern - 3 weeks
Jesse Motlop - 4 weeks?
Hudson O'Keefe - 8 weeks
Adam Saad - 5 weeks
Jack Martin - 3 Weeks?

28 weeks after round 9 vs 19 for a season. That's absolutely cooked if the above are the averages.

I'm wondering if the same ultra conservative approach, changes between this time of the year, compared to leading into finals

Perhaps we have just come out of a higher workload phase

Whatever the reasons, hopefully it's being addressed

Boydy
Cottrell (pretty sure he’s had it before)
TDK
Walshy
Oscar McDonald
Harry
Andrew Phillips
Philp
Crippa….
Feet
Cottrell early last year
Matthew Kreuzer, Nick Graham, Kristian Jaksch, Cam Giles and Liam Sumner around 2014 -2016 is a while ago but another five with foot issues
Pat McCarthy as well

There's also back issues with stress fractures or reactions
TDK
Patrick Cripps
Tom Williamson
Sam Walsh
Oscar McDonald
Brodie Kemp
Older Ones
Michael Jamison
Rhys O’Keeffe
Tom Bell

Is that a higher rate of incidence compared to other clubs? It seems like a lot of back and foot issues over the past decade. Is there still a problem with the training surface?

Feet
Cottrell early last year
Matthew Kreuzer, Nick Graham, Kristian Jaksch, Cam Giles and Liam Sumner around 2014 -2016 is a while ago but another five with foot issues
Pat McCarthy as well

There's also back issues with stress fractures or reactions
TDK
Patrick Cripps
Tom Williamson
Sam Walsh
Oscar McDonald
Brodie Kemp
Older Ones
Michael Jamison
Rhys O’Keeffe
Tom Bell

Is that a higher rate of incidence compared to other clubs? It seems like a lot of back and foot issues over the past decade. Is there still a problem with the training surface?

Maybe our surface, maybe Marvel

Wondering what the injury numbers are like at other clubs that play a high number of games under the roof

Mitch McGovern - 3 weeks
Jesse Motlop - 4 weeks?
Hudson O'Keefe - 8 weeks
Adam Saad - 5 weeks
Jack Martin - 3 Weeks?

Yeah the basic rule is approximately 6 occurrences and just over 3 weeks per. Averages for acls per club per season hovers around 0.7-0.9 or so and I think we've well and truly got that covered recently and over a decade too. Can't forget Byrne etc. Calf is 1.3-3.7 per club per season over the last 10 years or so. I don't know where we sit on those.

I'd love to know how our training loads compare to other clubs, particularly in the later parts of the week leading up to game day. We've had a huge amount of hamstring and calf strains this season which all started the moment practice matches started. Maybe we should be looking into reducing fatigue leading up to games. Lightening training right off within 3 days of game day etc.

I would love to know how our training loads in the three days prior to game day compare with the rest of the competition.

The heavy training load before opening round was weird. Seemed a bit too clever to me, it was just a week off after round 1, no need to completely reinvent the wheel.

I'd love to know how our training loads compare to other clubs, particularly in the later parts of the week leading up to game day. We've had a huge amount of hamstring and calf strains this season which all started the moment practice matches started. Maybe we should be looking into reducing fatigue leading up to games. Lightening training right off within 3 days of game day etc.

I would love to know how our training loads in the three days prior to game day compare with the rest of the competition.
Yeah I wonder if we track CTL, ATL, TSB & TSS? Or similar.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Someone make this STOP FFS! 😡

Carlton forward Jack Martin has been ruled out of Friday night’s clash with Sydney.

Martin experienced calf tightness on Tuesday afternoon following training, and required subsequent scans to assess his availability.
Those scans have since confirmed a calf strain for the 29-year-old, ruling him out of making the trip to Sydney.

Our injury problem has really got to the point where it has to come down to training, preparation and recovery. Yes we have a group of injury prone players but it's looking more and more like the problem is something else and something we are doing wrong. You get this many calf and hamstring strains there is a problem with how the players are being managed.

He should just change his name to: “Jack Martin (calf)”.

Our injury problem has really got to the point where it has to come down to training, preparation and recovery. Yes we have a group of injury prone players but it's looking more and more like the problem is something else and something we are doing wrong. You get this many calf and hamstring strains there is a problem with how the players are being managed.

Yeah, we can’t even make an excuse that we have too many “injury prone” players. You can name our 7 most injury prone players on the entire list and guarantee we will have 7 different players out injured weekly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back