Bluemour Discussion Thread XIV - Facts Not Welcome

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope Essendon **** this up.

If true that GWS said Essendon would be easier to deal with it will be good to see it fail.

As much s**t as we hang on Dorodo though, he does seem to get the deals done in the end.
Yep will just posture and procrastinate for the next 3 days and do it Wednesday evening, tossbag!

Shiel happened

Ummm ok … but 3 other clubs went hard for him ….. did we really upset them that much by asking the question or is there more to it TCP?

Dumb question, but why wouldn't GCS just deal with Adelaide/Port?

Happy to get involved if we can 'get paid' but seems unnecessarily complicated.

Because they don't have high picks next year?

Sorry TCP, I still don't get it.

- GC will have a very high pick next year anwyay
- 2018 top end supposed to be very good, why would a team switch OUT of the pointy end?
- GC are said to want back-to-back picks to help with retention
- GC need to get this rebuild up and running ASAP; they need talent in earlier, plus an extra pick next year doesn't help sell hope
- Next year's picks are never as alluring as this year's (unless trying to game FS/Academy bidding process)

The only thing I can think of is GCS are resigned to missing out on Walsh and have been spooked off recruiting other top end talents like Luko, Rankine and don't want to take the retention risk. Instead, they want to get back on their feet first and spend next year pitching elite kids that will want to stay....

And cost us this years and next years first round picks, no thanks.

Best result is he stays at GWS for another year. Cost is a lot less next season then.
Agree on FA next year.

But if we trade now we are certain to get him and not have a bidding war. Our first rounder next year is far more valuable than Essendones. Should be enough on its own and given the hassle would fully expect SOS to ask GWS for a 3rd round pick back either this year or next year.

As Shiel accepted less $$$ to go to * would also expect him to accept that lower salary at CFC now.

Then all would be forgiven and hopefully he can be a big part of our flag in 2021.

Would be a great off season to get all 4 targets.

But I still fully expect * to haggle then get it done.

- 2018 top end supposed to be very good, why would a team switch OUT of the pointy end?
- GC need to get this rebuild up and running ASAP; they need talent in earlier, plus an extra pick next year doesn't help sell hope
- Next year's picks are never as alluring as this year's (unless trying to game FS/Academy bidding process)

The only thing I can think of is GCS are resigned to missing out on Walsh and have been spooked off recruiting other top end talents like Luko, Rankine and don't want to take the retention risk. Instead, they want to get back on their feet first and spend next year pitching elite kids that will want to stay....

i think GCS may be nervous they won't be able to retain the SA boys ... they may have there sights on next years draft thinking a higher probability of retaining the high end talent of next year

The question I really want answered is why, from accounts of ITK posters here … we have a poor relationship with GWS?? What has happened?

No inside info, but I do remember they tried to * us over (and therefore also Hawks, Suns) in the Marchbank deal, reneging on the agreed deal to try and get more (they thought we would trade Gibbs to Crows), and only relenting at the last minute.

Perhaps that, on top of our straight "no" on #1 for Shiel?

i think GCS may be nervous they won't be able to retain the SA boys ... they may have there sights on next years draft thinking a higher probability of retaining the high end talent of next year
But they could just take the king Bros. to cover Lynch and (next year) Day?
Or has SOS already told them that in two years they are coming to CFC?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No way Port do that. Already lose Polac & probably Wingard.

They would be gutted and in full blown rebuild phase which would be a complete flip on their top up to go for a premiership 12 months ago.

Agreed, they won't do it

Don’t care what people said after he chose *. If they can’t get it done, and GWS need to move him, the 2019 1st will get it done and we will love him like the * never happened.

Exactly.

Would be dumb to turn him away...he would give 100% for us and we'd love him the second he gets his first possession for us in round 1.

GC are loaded on picks this year. They have 2,3, 19, 24, 29 + more. The top end of 2018 is very good, but it's Walsh + three Adelaide guys + Academy players. They are worried about the flight risk of the Adelaide boys, even if they package them up. If they trade down then they just have too many picks this year.

Maybe they will take Luko + Roz at 2/3. They are just exploring other options.

is anyone else worried that GWS have found themselves in this situation and more importantly, in that we are duplicating the plan? Let’s hope we don’t find ourselves in this mess in 3 years time.
Seems to me like back-ending deals is the biggest culprit in the GWS TPP crisis.

Considering our list status, I highly doubt we're back-ending contracts, if anything a lot of our contracts are probably front-loaded. Will make it a lot easier to manage when 'our time comes'.

Also keep in mind that while we're accumulating a lot of highly ranked kids, we're hardly bringing them in at the rate that GWS is. Remember their 2011 draft:

1. Jon Patton
2 Stephen Coniglio
3 Dom Tyson
4 Will Hoskin-Elliott
5 Matt Buntine
7 Nick Haynes
9 Adam Tomlinson
10 Liam Sumner
11 Toby Greene
13 Taylor Adams
14 Devon Smith

And that's not counting guys like Shiel and Treloar who were taken early as part of their underage concessions in 2010.

There are always ways to get deals done and get picks.
Anyone on our list worth picks we wouldn't want to lose. As the club said we have gone to the draft, trading next years pick for picks this year doesn't make any sense. I'd prefer to trade number 1 this year. Or trade next years for a player.

Shiel happened
...and if GWS ring SOS, he takes the call, no doubt. If Shiel says OK, then we would look to negotiate.

Now though, it may cost the #1 pick, especially if we are negotiating with GCS for the #2 pick, in fact it could push both deals forward.

Shiel and 2019 2nd for #1, 2019 1st for #2, on trade that to Port for #6/#10. Get Smith and trade #10 back into 2019 1st round.

Anyway, it’s media speculation and you can’t see * walking away with nothing from the trade period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back