Bluemour Discussion Thread XIV - Facts Not Welcome

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will it be like the 5 year deal we locked up Gibbs on?

Will happily pay 10 & 16 for Kelly in a couple of years.

Won't even need some pick swaps in return. I'm generous like that :)

GWS are apparently trying to lock up Kelly with a big contract extension this pre-season. Hopefully they do so.

Will be doing the same for the Coniglio, Haynes etc but Kelly is their #1 priority.

Imagine how much saints willing to pay for Kelly, GWS might have to offload more players!

We cannot trade future round 1 in your scenario. It needs at minimum a future 2nd rounder from Gold Coast to make it viable at all. Rules will not allow us to trade future 1st without it. We may even need to get it before we can trade future 1st too.
Just ask the afl for permission, isn't that what Geelong did so they could trade all their 1st round picks.

Will be doing the same for the Coniglio, Haynes etc but Kelly is their #1 priority.

Imagine how much saints willing to pay for Kelly, GWS might have to offload more players!

I sincerely hope GWS keep their best players as one Club players - they have to be able to do so if the Club is any chance to maintain relevancy. Hopefully this can be achieved without the AFL resorting to COLA mk11 - because that creates far too much distortion - see ShitneyCOLA manufactured success.

I sincerely hope GWS keep their best players as one Club players - they have to be able to do so if the Club is any chance to maintain relevancy. Hopefully this can be achieved without the AFL resorting to COLA mk11 - because that creates far too much distortion - see ShitneyCOLA manufactured success.
Sydney is such a fickle market that GWS and Sydney will be subsidised until the end of time in order to remain competitive on the field.

I’m at the point where I’m ok with whatever SOS does, as long as it doesn’t ever involve another trade with GWS again.

It seems they are always taking a harder line against us and demanding more for trades while at same time accepting much less from other clubs.

Hope SOS realises this as well.

Just ask the afl for permission, isn't that what Geelong did so they could trade all their 1st round picks.

No, you are confused with the other rule. A club is meant to have at least two 1st round picks in a four year cycle. When Tuohy was being traded to us, Wells was unsure if Cats could trade their future 1st rounder in first year of future round trading. SOS assured him he could and confirmed it with AFL to make him sure they could do the deal. That rule is actually more confusing as even right now still unsure of when the four year cycle begins to apply. Plus it is only applied to future round trading. Some club may still trade every first round pick for 4 years straight and if none are future 1st rounders at time, guess there is no problem.

The rule that applies to us in other posters proposal is we can trade future 1st rounder right now. We can't. It has nothing to do with four year cycle rule Geelong were concerned about. It is about us already trading future round 2 of next year which does not allow us to trade future 1st right now. We need another future 2nd rounder from somewhere to be free to trade out future 1st.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pushing hard to get pick 2 from GCS. Would be something like 2019 1st + knives (cas?). Then we take Walsh at #1, #2 goes to Adelaide or port on draft night for the best price available.
Casboult and Jones... especially if they manage to get the May deal done!

Would the AFL allow this? Rules are you can trade a future first or as many other future picks as you like but not both. They have been known to allow it though.
You can get an exemption... like Hawthorn did a couple of years back to get JOM!

In professional sports? Yes. Indeed, it's how it works in many professional sports leagues. You sign the contract, you're guaranteed your money, but that contract CAN be traded.

The stuff that's going on now is crap:

Eg. Tim Kelly "desperate" to go home to WA.... but only to West Coast. Booo, if he said "Geelong, if you could arrange a trade with either WA club I would greatly appreciate that" it would be different.
Eg. Dayne Beams "desperate" to come home to Melbourne... but only to Collingwood. Not only is it the second time he's played the family reasons card (in opposite directions, no less), there's a bunch of clubs within walking distance of the Pies that would satisfy the supposedly dire need to be back in Melbourne, but does he want them? Nooooo.
Eg. Tom Scully being open to being a salary-dump trade... but only to the Hawks. Come off it!

All these guys have contracts to the end of 2019 at least. It seems it's all out of whack to me.
I reckon the player should be able to designate the state, but not the club. Or at the very least have to designate at least 2 possibilities.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

What about next years first to GCS for pick 2.
Take Walsh and Luko in the draft and if any of the Adelaide teams come knocking in 2 years, play hard ball or just keep him.
If we can have Charlie running around the park doing whatever the hell he wants while Luko, and the Big Macs dominate the forwards with SPS and Fasolo, while Walsh, Cripps, Dow, Fish and Setts play in the middle, sounds like a winning combination to me. It would be good to get a mature midfielder but we already have an awesome up and coming team. A few years and were gonna be the blues of old again/
TdK Gov Harry in the F50, with Lukosious and Charlie roaming the wings.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’m at the point where I’m ok with whatever SOS does, as long as it doesn’t ever involve another trade with GWS again.

It seems they are always taking a harder line against us and demanding more for trades while at same time accepting much less from other clubs.

Hope SOS realises this as well.

We've done fine out of our trades with them. We haven't overpaid in any of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back