Bluemour Melting Pot XXI - Like seriously, the polar ice caps have got nothing on us

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please excuse the incursion.

I hope Carlton supporters are not too hard on Silvagni. He was stuck between a hard-ass and a head-case.

While Craig Cameron & Kall Burns may be the Sun’s recruiting managers, make no mistake that their strings are controlled by Tony Cochrane. This guy only sees a win / loss... for him to win everyone else needs to lose.
In his mind: If they re-sign Martin... then Jack is the loser and the Sun’s management win because they are “strong”. Cochrane is a fool.

And Dodoro is a shameless self-promoter with few ideas and even less common sense. Rejecting picks 5 and 9 in the media for a player who has barely played for 2 years and wanted out... before discussions started with the Swans was bad form and posturing at its most egregious. No club wants to have to deal with this douche.

I’m confident you guys will get Jack Martin.

As of 5pm 17/10/19:
Gold Coast chairman Tony Cochrane declared “the Suns were "absolutely" prepared to re-draft Martin in the pre-season if they can't persuade him to extend before then.”
He is true to form.

I feel for Papley to a point. He seemed believable in his want to come back to Vic to have close access to his friends, girlfriend and family. That said, while Cockburn and Dodo are partially responsible for his situation, he also chose to sign a long contract. It is on his head as much as others.

For mine, Silvagni was the least worst of the people involved.

Last edited:
While Craig Cameron & Kall Burns may be the Sun’s recruiting managers, make no mistake that their strings are controlled by Tony Cochrane. This guy only sees a win / loss... for him to win everyone else needs to lose.
In his mind: If they resign Martin... then Jack is the looser. Cochrane is a fool.

As of 5pm 17/10/19:
Gold Coast chairman Tony Cochrane declared “the Suns were "absolutely" prepared to re-draft Martin in the pre-season if they can't persuade him to extend before then.”
He is true to form.

It begs the question, given how hard the AFL are trying to make Gold Coast work (and rightly, in my opinion), how long do they let this muppet run the show?

Surely they install somebody who knows what he's doing?

My gut feel now is we do some sort of pick swap with GC, then we pick him up as a DFA.

Cleanest way to do it, and means the circus stops. GC make a point, we move on and jack starts day 1 of pre season.

The good thing is TLA are on our side too, so some sort of deal will be worked out.

No one wants to go down the ND/PSD path

Why would we even entertain any thoughts of doing pick swaps with GCS now? He is determined to get to Carlton. We will get him for nothing in the PSD. **** the GCS.

It begs the question, given how hard the AFL are trying to make Gold Coast work (and rightly, in my opinion), how long do they let this muppet run the show?

Surely they install somebody who knows what he's doing?

Yep.

In telling them to "make a stand", the AFL perhaps needed to hang around long enough to ensure they actually knew how and when to do that without looking like a pack of clueless idiots.

Good chance we downgrade pick 9 on draft night, there are 5 guys that we would basically auto pick but the general wisdom is that they will be gone by our pick. Obviously depends on what offers come on draft night

Is there a possibility of trading it for 2020 picks? Is it an option?

Sydney actually did bite, that's why they included pick 9 in the offer to the scum

DODO had unrealistic expectations of what JD is worth
I’m actually glad Essendon didn’t trade Daniher. They have an unbalanced list and I can’t see them winning a flag with this list. I don’t want to see them with a bunch of great picks that gives them a chance to re-load for a serious tilt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On splitting pick 9.

It wold probably be something like.

Pick 9 + our future 2nd for x team's future first and their current 2nd round + some sort of pick upgrade.

So we move from the top 10 to the mid 20's, do what is likely the reverse next year plus an upgrade in the third/fourth this year.

Next year have two first rounders to trade for targets.

Well gosh I’ll be damned Zeggie. I’ll be damned son. Good find.

So re-paraphrasing the official AFL draft terms:

- there are two ways Martin can manipulate the PSD to his advantage: (1) nominate a huge price (binds him For two years) OR
- not nominate ANY price, and ‘negotiate’. That can be ONE year. He need make no offer. He is therefore not bound.
- If he deems he is not receiving reasonable pricing (under the second method) he can go to Arbitration.
- the Abitrator must take into consideration all relevant facts. It doesn’t SAY this but presumably an offer from another club is a relevant fact that indicates market value.

As a former number 1 draft pick, with a big offer from Carlton, he will have a strong hand at Arbitration.

Carlton should offer him one year, at 1m. But not make it public. Neither Melbourne nor GC would know what they are getting should they draft him. They’d be drafting him ‘blind’.

It won’t happen. His Mgt will stay strong. The other clubs won’t nominate him.

He’s a Blue. The end.

Great detective work Zeggie.

On splitting pick 9.

It wold probably be something like.

Pick 9 + our future 2nd for x team's future first and their current 2nd round + some sort of pick upgrade.

So we move from the top 10 to the mid 20's, do what is likely the reverse next year plus an upgrade in the third/fourth this year.

Next year have two first rounders to trade for targets.

I seriously doubt it

Wow.

What an absolutely disgraceful attitude from a club president regarding an uncontracted player who wants to move clubs.

Most clubs would simply be like "He's out of contract and has indicated he wants to move to <insert club> so we'll do our best to broker a deal".

This guy's attitude is the opposite of constructive - he just wants to be inflammatory and disruptive to what is normally a straightforward process - all in the name of some supposed tough-guy "stand" that the club has been told to make.

On top of that, it's a terrible, misguided, nay *clueless* choice of player to make a "stand" on for a first-round pick - Jack has been inconsistent and hasn't anywhere near fulfilled his potential to date. Almost everyone who made comment on his worth, both pre and post trade period, would have agreed that our offer was very fair.

Pathetic - grow up Cochrane.
If one of my managers went public with dribble like that it would result in instant dismissal as it would imply my organisation is run by a lunatic that has no business sense or basic management skills. if he strongly believes and feels like he indicates in that article then it should stay inside their boardroom walls. #amatuerhour BIG TIME. The imbecile has brought his club back years in regards to player retention and building a future destination club.

If the AFL is a professionally run organisation regardless of whether they asked them to make a stand or not they should drag him over the coals if not sack him.

There is no need for us to do them any favours now.

They will not select him in the PSD, so the cleanest way to do it now is for us to take him with pick 3, unless Melbourne take him the pick before.
Melbourne won’t. Zeggie has nailed it. He won’t nominate a price. It will be subject to negotiation. One year deal with no known price that ends up in arbitration. Way too messy and won’t happen.

Melbourne won’t. Zeggie has nailed it. He won’t nominate a price. It will be subject to negotiation. One year deal with no known price that ends up in arbitration. Way too messy and won’t happen.

I agree it is likely we will get him, but until it happens, there is a chance it will not. Especially with the AFL involved.

The only thing I am willing to say for certain, is that he will not return to the Suns.

I know but you take a bigger risk of missing out as a few other clubs could take him

In the PSD

GC- Would have to be some huge reconsiliation and if Martin puts a bounty on his head for a year, they could lose him for next to nothing as a FA a year later

Demons - They aren't sitting at 95% of their cap, so they can't match a sizable offer

Then us
No GC will be blind as to the fee. He won’t nominate one. Carlton will have indicated a willingness to pay him 1m for one year. That, along with other facts will be taken into account and produce a binding outcome.

GC won’t know what his price or terms are. And therefore won’t draft him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back