Bluemour Melting Pot XXX - Feeling Hot, Hot, Hot! 🔥 🔥 🔥

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlton captain could be: Jezza, Walls, Fitzpatrick, Johnston, Maclure, Sticks, Bradley, McKay, Kouta

I think more likely to be one of Walls, Fitzpatrick, Sticks, McKay or Maclure.
Kouta has been saying he'd be happy to help the club if he could.

might be him?

Bit confused by this whole coaching panel/process that’s happening.

Firstly I’m all for a coaching panel and a thorough process, but what’s the point of a panel and what’s the point of a process, if a requirement of the job is, must be an experienced coach? Is that thorough?

We have supposedly seen Buckley withdraw, Pyke not interested, Clarkson not interested and there is Voss who was overlooked again.

Whats the point of a panel, when you have pretty much only given them 1-2 candidates?

Brian Cook is one of the best CEOs in the business, appointed only 2 coaches at Geelong in 23 years, both of which, were untried, what would he think if he accepted the job and was asked to oversee the hiring of a new coach, but was told forget the best candidate, we only want an experienced coach?

If Cook is a great operator, we have a panel and we do a process, please just pick the best fit for the job, regardless of reputation.
We also need assistants

Firstly I’m all for a coaching panel and a thorough process, but what’s the point of a panel and what’s the point of a process, if a requirement of the job is, must be an experienced coach? Is that thorough?

We have supposedly seen Buckley withdraw, Pyke not interested, Clarkson not interested and there is Voss who was overlooked again.

Whats the point of a panel, when you have pretty much only given them 1-2 candidates?

Brian Cook is one of the best CEOs in the business, appointed only 2 coaches at Geelong in 23 years, both of which, were untried, what would he think if he accepted the job and was asked to oversee the hiring of a new coach, but was told forget the best candidate, we only want an experienced coach?

If Cook is a great operator, we have a panel and we do a process, please just pick the best fit for the job, regardless of reputation.
Sayers made the comment about getting the most experienced and best qualified candidate at that presser the other day.
I would suggest there is enough wiggle room to look at anyone they wish.
He didn't expressly say senior AFL coaching experience as much as that may have been implied.
Also what he says at that presser off the cuff isn't going to be word for word the confines the panel have to work with.

As posted by MEB above...

Would be a good get for us if we can't get Brian Cook. Hartley is currently at Richmond as their General Manager of Football, with prior experience as their list manager as well.

There's only 1 MEB and it's not Magical_EddieBetts

MrsEddieBetts

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can someone please explain what the role of a Head of Football actually is? Always seems like a very general, non specific title.
Happy for someone to correct me, but it's basically the chief operating officer of the club, but only for the Sport/AFL side of things - e.g they dont worry about venues, sponsors, events, etc.

Roles and responsibilities:
- Recruiting on-field roles - coaches, doctors, high performance etc
- Medical program
- Training programs
- Middleman between board/executive and football operations department
- Manages salary cap - working with finance to manage TPP
- Ensuring appropriate equipment and training facilities
- Managing tribunal appearances

This would be the biggest coup of the offseason bar none. Essential in turning our culture around. Surely old Cooky has a few good years left in him.

His job at the Blues certainly wouldn't be boring! Keep him young and on his toes.

Yes agreed. If the club could land Cook, it would be IMHO the biggest off field recruit coup for Carlton since the days of Barassi and Parkin
... bar none others including Clarkson.

What many forget is the Cats were a complete basket case on and off the field before Cook arrived and along with Frank Costa,
he managed to turn them around to be the power house they are today.

Our club could desperately do with Cook's experienced guiding hard and presence for the next 5 or 6 years and his worth would not be
just measured in onfield success ... but by the quality people he would attract to the club.

It's not an understatement to say his potential appointment would be the first step to our renaissance as a football club.

I dare to dream !!!

If the club could land Cook, it would be IMHO the biggest off field recruit coup for Carlton since the days of Barassi and Parkin
... bar none others including Clarkson.

What many forget is the Cats were a complete basket case on and off the field before Cook arrived and along with Frank Costa,
he managed to turn them around to be the power house they are today.

Our club could desperately do with Cook's experienced guiding hard and presence for the next 5 or 6 years and his worth would not be
just measured, onfield success ... but by the quality people he would attract to the club.

It's not an understatement to say his potential appointment would be the first step to our renaissance as a football club.

I dare to dream !!!
I share your optimism but - if he comes - I'll hold back a small amount of that as I'm aware that getting the best does not guarantee success in the context of every organisation. Fingers crossed all round though.

You'd like to think Eddie would be a club man and not try and find the right coach for his closest mates. I think anybody relatively fresh out of the game will have some natural bias going into a process. And you'd be trusting the character of the person to put it to one side and do a good job of the task at hand.

If it had to come from outside of the club who would you lean towards? Burgoyne is one that comes to mind, but if Clarko is in the running that rules him out.

There are surely at least 10 retiring players per year without conflicts of interest with the experience and smarts to have productive and unbiased input. Say the cutoff is retired in 2006 you might have a pool of 150 ex players under 45 to choose from.

I share your optimism but - if he comes - I'll hold back a small amount of that as I'm aware that getting the best does not guarantee success in the context of every organisation. Fingers crossed all round though.

That is true that success is not guaranteed to every club or organisation ... but prior to all these post season problems, if Carlton could choose a CEO from another club, who would they pick before Cook ?

There are surely at least 10 retiring players per year without conflicts of interest with the experience and smarts to have productive and unbiased input. Say the cutoff is retired in 2006 you might have a pool of 150 ex players under 45 to choose from.
You mean 2016?

2006 Kouta was still running around.

The process may also entail the complete coaching group & department, not just senior coach. The president may have a vision but as opportunities arise, and more ducks are aligned, creating more possibilities.

The advantage of having possible access to senior proven coaches like Lyon & Clarkson is that not only are they very good tactically, good managers but are able to attract very good assistants & ex-players they have coached or been involved with. Given our stage of rebuild, a young untried coach without these resources is not the risk we should take now.

Given the magnitude of the changes it's important to have in place a coaching panel even though the vision is already there. Having Williams & ex Skipper connection probably signifies more of a marketing process. But without potentially the major decision roles from Lloyd & Liddle, this panel will probably act as a major guiding hand. Leaders normally put in place people that share the same vision. In this case a tough club on & off the field.

Maybe it's cause the panel will also be interviewing assistants?

jLvHUfB.png

Uh oh, he's talking to himself again... :p

First person self-converser!

Happy for someone to correct me, but it's basically the chief operating officer of the club, but only for the Sport/AFL side of things - e.g they dont worry about venues, sponsors, events, etc.

Roles and responsibilities:
- Recruiting on-field roles - coaches, doctors, high performance etc
- Medical program
- Training programs
- Middleman between board/executive and football operations department
- Manages salary cap - working with finance to manage TPP
- Ensuring appropriate equipment and training facilities
- Managing tribunal appearances

I have been curious to know exactly what the role does, so thank you for this.

Does anyone know if there an organisation chart that visually displays who reports into who for what roles. So entities like the board, Pres, HOF, CEO, coaches, recruiting/list manager etc? I've seen on the Carlton website they have a list of names and roles, but a google search doesn't give me any idea of an org chart – it's just comes up with soccer ones...

Any ideas if there's one online, or could someone use their best paint skills to draw one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back