Bluemour 'Silly Season' In Full Swing XXXV

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting take/info regarding Dow.

There is no ‘deal’ on offer. It’s a 3 year contract offer compared to our 1 year offer. Money is equal (read basic) from both ends. Saints want him for free/very cheap and/or we get a weak compensation pick from AFL. Saints also looking to bring in Shiel from * which is having Dow contemplating staying. No guarantees of playing time, just more years. Dow returning from OS this weekend for B&F. Players want him to stay. (I think that was all) - Source: mate who spoke recently with ex-Premiership player.

Dow probably would have stayed if offered longer term deal but feels he is not rated. SOS has made it clear for a while they want him. I have no idea the money as I never ask and I have never heard a player discuss it. He has some great mates at club especially Walsh who he’s in Japan with. I want him to stay but it’s NOT happening. He’s gone and it was decided weeks ago. The deal with Saints is done it’s just about how

As I have said before SOS keeps in close contact with players he drafted and rates Dow highly still.

I don’t know what it will take to get it done but it won’t be much and I don’t see any hassles. A few Blues people wanted a pick swap to go slightly higher in draft but nothing confirmed

My source for this couldn’t be more impeccable

Last edited:

There is no ‘deal’ on offer. It’s a 3 year contract offer compared to our 1 year offer. Money is equal (read basic) from both ends. Saints want him for free/very cheap and/or we get a weak compensation pick from AFL. Saints also looking to bring in Shiel from * which is having Dow contemplating staying. No guarantees of playing time, just more years. Dow returning from OS this weekend for B&F. Players want him to stay. (I think that was all) - Source: mate who spoke recently with ex-Premiership player.

Why would we get a compensation pick from the AFL?
He is not a Free Agent.

Thanks for sharing the info wooly

B70 disappeared when SOS left the club.

Saints board got any new ITKs?

Haha, could you imagine if St Kilda do have ITK’s. Letting an entire supporter group know about all the good players around the competition that don’t want to play for St Kilda?

Dow probably would have stayed if offered longer term deal but feels he is not rated. SOS has made it clear for a while they want him. I have no idea the money as I never ask and I have never heard a player discuss it. He has some great mates at club especially Walsh who he’s in Japan with. I want him to stay but it’s NOT happening. He’s gone and it was decided weeks ago. The deal with Saints is done it’s just about how

As I have said before SOS keeps in close contact with players he drafted and rates Dow highly still.

I don’t know what it will take to get it done but it won’t be much and I don’t see any hassles. A few Blues people wanted a pick swap to go slightly higher in draft but nothing confirmed

Yep. Sad. Let's hope he will be really valued there and enjoys his time with that wretched club.

While I love the idea of Dow staying at depth, I'm actually happy for him if he's leaving. Staying would be super dumb career wise. You only get so long as an AFL player and need to make the most the opportunity. He can still maintain his friendships with the players. Those encouraging him to stick around won't be the ones having to front up in the 2s most weeks.

I don't expect him to become a star at St Kilda but think he can build a solid career for himself.

Not sure if someone already mentioned. But at least one recruiter i know rates Dows disposal but thinks Dow's main issue is that he is a two touch player.
Fair comment, previously was right but I feel he really worked hard on it. I don’t think many people realised how hard he worked on his tackling, repeat running and skills over the last pre season and IMO he greatly improved these areas this year. One of the biggest improvements in a player I have seen.

Sometimes I just wonder if coaches, once they have an opinion of a player, struggle to change it

I personally believe Dow went from a fringe player in 2022 to what should be a Best 22 in 2023. He brought a point of difference we didn’t have. A mix of Cripps Hewett/Kennedy Walsh Cerra Dow is as good as any

I was a Setterfield fan but wasn’t overly fussed when traded last year as we had so many of his type. Dow is different. Not better just different

My take is we have focussed too much on some weaknesses as opposed to strengths

I think he will be a very good player for Saints for next 8-10 years

Last edited:

I’m surprised more people don’t deal in this fashion when it comes to players like Dow.
If Saints know Paddy won’t re-sign with us, why offer anything of substance?

We have seen over and over that going to the PSD is of very little risk.

Dows out of contract and our leverage is very small. I was hoping for 51 or a F3 but now I doubt this.

Hopefully it’s our 4 and Dow for 51 or *4 and Dow for 51.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Club has played this well.

Offer Dow a small deal to remain as depth and or fight for a spot, forcing the Saints to trade

Takes a 3 year deal, still depth and or fighting for a spot at the Saints

But if Dow is ok with a low salary at either club maybe it would be prudent for the Club to offer him two years and see how much more he can improve. Personally I don’t mind him leaving but we may get a pick from the Saints that we won’t even use - so if we can keep one spot for him on a low salary then two more years as depth seems acceptable (like we have done with Pitto for four years or Young with 3-4 years).

I’ve lost track of available list spots so that could be the other issue here - plus we could have someone not on Big Footys radar that the club is chasing as a Dow-plus replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

But if Dow is ok with a low salary at either club maybe it would be prudent for the Club to offer him two years and see how much more he can improve. Personally I don’t mind him leaving but we may get a pick from the Saints that we won’t even use - so if we can keep one spot for him on a low salary then two more years as depth seems acceptable (like we have done with Pitto for four years or Young with 3-4 years).

I’ve lost track of available list spots so that could be the other issue here - plus we could have someone not on Big Footys radar that the club is chasing as a Dow-plus replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Every club has different salary cap strategy and perhaps they believe depth would be covered by different options

The reality is Cripps/Cerra/Wash as starting on ballers and everyone else is a rotation. Hewett and Kennedy are vying for a rotation but that will be weighed up against favouring an extra runner - Docherty has slotted in as a preferred mid rotation.

It seems like the rankings are: Cripps/Walsh/Cerra and then Docherty/Hewett and then Kennedy/Dow - Acres/Hollands are preferred starting wings.

Unless the Club can see opportunity for Dow ahead of Hewett/Kennedy/Docherty it is a tough ask for Dow to hang around - even if he isn't a starter at Saints- he wont be 2-3 players behind.

That is before the length of contract and money comes into consideration. I Dont think there has been any conspiracy against Dow going on.

eg I think Kennedy will struggle to get a starting role in '24 except for injury to 1/2 ahead of him - but he probably knows this and certainly, the Club isn't paying him a salary over that reality. Cuningham and Marchbank have been given a one-year extension and both would be on minimum...McGovern signed back on for a couple- again I expect fair not overs for him, TDK has knocked back bigger offers to stay on for two years till FA time for him so the club is exercising sustainable salary systems which is pretty clear blokes like Honey/Philp/LoB who in the past may have been kept on with little thought have been moved on - the Club definitely showing a harder edge ..

As for SOS - like anyone else who is not part of the Club - don't care what his agenda is and I fully expect his agenda should be to get the best deal he can for his current employer. If he wants to stick his neck out on calls for his former picks - all strength to him - maybe he can throw a life line to SPS/LoB as well and good luck with that.

Jack has voted his allegiance with signing on for another 2 years. That is the Silvagni I care about.

Saints are also trying to get Liam Henry across. Sounds like they're trying to get him for pick 51. Could have implications as to whether Saints are able to offer us anything for Dow. Will be funny if it gets to the last day and SOS is threatening the PSD for both. :sweatsmile:

Saints are also trying to get Liam Henry across. Sounds like they're trying to get him for pick 51. Could have implications as to whether Saints are able to offer us anything for Dow. Will be funny if it gets to the last day and SOS is threatening the PSD for both. :sweatsmile:
Pick 51 would be insanely cheap for Henry. Worth way more than that

Pick 51 would be insanely cheap for Henry. Worth way more than that
Yeah, that won't get it done. SOS is trying to get him for peanuts. You'd think the Saints F2 would need to be involved in the Henry trade. Though in SOS defence Saints have lots of holes in their list and not much currency to work with so he is going to have to get all these deals done as cheaply as possible.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back